PLEASE NCL TELL US - JADE CRUISE 27TH ????? IT IS GOING AHEAD OR NOT, GIVE US TIME TO MAKE ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENTS

GOTTODOIT

The cruise for the 27th is way past the date you can get any money back - unless you have CFAR insurance it makes absolutely no sense to cancel ahead of time even if you're not going. The same for the last cruise. You get nothing for canceling so you might as well no show in the hopes of NCL cancelling before then. 

One should employ a similar strategy to non refundable non changeable airline tickets. You get nothing for canceling vs no show, but if you don't cancel and the schedule changes significantly the airline will refund your money if you don't accept the changes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

mking8288, you do realize that you have higher chance of death getting in car accident on way to airport than dying from COVID-19 on this cruise?

For the rational healthy person, there’s  a valid fear of long lasting quarantine in a foreign country, not necessarily fear of death by Coronavirus.  People don’t fear norovirus will kill them but if it was running unchecked onboard cruise ships, very few would sail.  I can’t imagine the next sailing of the Jade going ahead as planned.   If I was booked on the sailing I’d just be a no show and hope ncl canceled.  The future of the cruise industry was at risk with Norovirus until the industry figured a way to contain the spread.  In comparison, Coronavirus infection rates on the quarantined Diamond Princess are simply staggering.   Coronavirus at this point will have a negative affect on the industry, no matter how many post, “nothing to see hear” responses.  

Edited by littlelulu01
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

you do realize that you have higher chance of death getting in car accident on way to airport than dying from COVID-19 on this cruise?

Well said by lulu01 above ... and I might add, living in NYC and despite the mayor's "Vision Zero" & police enforcement efforts, we face - probably - higher risk each & every time crossing the street corner with a traffic light or stop signs - drivers routinely not always yielding right of way or plowing around the corner.  Won't say a word about DWI, DUI and DWD (smartphone distractions) or death by prescribed medications ... 

In fairly good health, DW had some issues in the past year and as early retirees, no problems IF and when we get stranded abroad - unable to get back home ... no rush to get back to work, deal with pet-sitting and/or child care issues, nor with frail elderly parental issues as our folks passed onto eternity.  Don't necessary believe fully in the fear, anxiety, hysteria and paranoid around this virus outbreak ... not during SARS, swing flu and other more dangerous outbreak like Measles & MERS then, and not now.  But, there is very few debate on the highly contagious nature of COVID-19 and questions about the clusters of secondary transmissions of unknown origin, cases in Singapore of particular concern.  

I still volunteer in Medical Reserve and train for all hazards CBRN incidents, and probably know a few things more than the average person on a cruise ship.  Enough said but back on topic - this has to do with hoping, wishing, saying and supporting those scheduled to sail in less than 10 days on the revised, modified Jade itinerary in a "higher" than average risk region of the world in the darkened shadow of coronavirus.   

Some of the ship passengers on the Diamond Princess and Westerdam didn't planned for their extended living abroad for the month+ and I am sure some of them might have challenges getting back, whether self-employed or on vacation, or not.  Next time we travel abroad,  might find it necessary to pack not just 2 weeks of extra medication but a full month's worth, plus a doctor's statement/summary of our medical history AND refillable prescriptions, so that we can be prepared for the unexpected. 

Issues raised are far more than just to do a cancel for any reason and having a trusty & friendly neighbors deal with mails or check on our house, etc. on the "continuity" plan for a period of extended absence.  

Imagine for a moment, if you or someone close, plan a 10 nights cruise to sail the tropical Caribbean out of New Orleans and 3 days before embarkation, you are told to fly to NYC and sailing to Bermuda ... too bad, because the "contract" signed - take it or leave it.  Nevermind all your independently booked shorex, flight arrangements and pre-cruise hotels, etc. - good luck filing your own insurance claims or eat it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Some of the ship passengers on the Diamond Princess and Westerdam didn't planned for their extended living abroad for the month+ and I am sure some of them might have challenges getting back, whether self-employed or on vacation, or not.  Next time we travel abroad,  might find it necessary to pack not just 2 weeks of extra medication but a full month's worth, plus a doctor's statement/summary of our medical history AND refillable prescriptions, so that we can be prepared for the unexpected. 

Issues raised are far more than just to do a cancel for any reason and having a trusty & friendly neighbors deal with mails or check on our house, etc. on the "continuity" plan for a period of extended absence. 

Yes, those are basically the lessons learned for me as a result of all of this - double the amount of extra medication I used to pack, plus maybe grab some gloves, masks from the $$ store, just to have on hand.  Already carry a small amount of disinfectant anyway. 

The other concession is that my balcony upgrade is a little higher on my priority list - just in case.  I'd rather be on a balcony than stuck inside somewhere. But I'm retired, so an extended trip might be an inconvenience but probably not life altering.

• Like 2

We are booked on the Norweigan Jade sailing  27th from Singapore and are at a loss to understand why NCL won't cancel this sailing if they valued customers health over their wealth.  We are not cancelling as we gain nothing by cancelling too early but it is very frustrating trying to decide whether to forfeit all monies paid or take the risk and go if it is not cancelled.  Not to mention any difficulties with ports,medical checks, having to wear a mask for 20 days, every time someone coughs there will be panic etc.    We asked our Doctor weather she would travel to Singapore to board a cruise and her answer was no she definitely would not.   Shame on NCL for putting your customers through this when the ethical thing to do would be to cancel or offer another cruise.  NCL might just come out of this situation ok if they did but if the 27th sailing goes ahead I hope they will be ready for a lot of very unhappy customers.  

When is NCL cancelling the cruise which leaves Singapore on the 27th.  We are leaving Sydney on the 25th to spent a couple of days in Singapore which I really no longer wish to do.

We are both elderly and are very worried that we might pick up the Corona virus and end up in isolation or transferred and stranded in a strange country.

Will NCL pay for the flight home when we recover or will they let the  Australian government pay for it again.

Please NCL cancel.

• Like 2

We are in the same predicament , if they won’t have the scruples to cancel this cruise at least do the morally right thing , and let those with genuine concern for their health / safety, opt out and refund their monies . We also are elderly, myself with a weakened immune system from an illness , beside the fact of how unenjoyable it will be ,I don’t wish to unnecessarily jeopardise my health further . NCL are forcing us to choose between our health and losing thousands of prepaid dollars . 

NCL are proving to be the sort of business you would never want to have dealings with ever again . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

So what are you all going to whinge about now?!

Typical troll bait.

OK, I'll bite. It's not about whinging. It's about getting NCL to step up and do what's right. They took their own sweet time doing it, but they finally caved. It doesn't matter that it probably wasn't our actions but the closing of Asian ports that made them cancel the 17 feb and 27 Feb sailings. What matters is that they cancelled them, and offered full refunds to passengers.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are some COVID-19 coronavirus cases amongst the crew. They'll doubtless swap out all the crew and wash their hands of the whole thing, and leave Asia to go cruising somewhere else until the smoke thins. I'm reminded of Pete Seeger's "Song of the Punch Press Operator":

If your hand should slip, why the boss don't shout
He just buys new fingers as he throws you out.

Employees who risk being carriers of the virus will be replaced by fresh meat.

It's a sorry state of affairs, but should serve to remind future passengers that NCL, like most (if not all) cruise lines is a huge corporation interested only in the bottom line. Paying lip service to passengers' health and well-being is part of the dance. Nobody should be surprised at this. It's the way things work in the modern world. Book more cruises, as you like, but remain vigilant to protect your own interests, without the illusion that companies like NCL have anything but their own fiduciary interests at heart.

Edited by PhilBenz

We really don’t know what was going on behind the scenes with decisions so passing judgment on ncl is not something I’m willing to do.  Making $ is a big motive and so keeping clean, virus free ships is likely at the top of the priority list. The industry and world will learn much from what’s going on with the Diamond Princess. 621 passengers onboard now with Coronavirus out of 3700. That’s a terribly high infection rate.  Staying away from Asia sailings right now is a prudent step.  Idk what can be done if the virus takes hold in other countries though. The industry can’t just leave every part of the world as the virus spreads.  At some point the ability to spread on a ship at such a crazy rate is a problem that needs  resolution if the industry is to survive. A hospital less than 5 minutes away from my house now has 5 Coronavirus patients.  Only 10 hospitals in the entire USA equipped with ability to treat such viruses. I know many are saying it’s no big deal but it kinda really is a big deal and not something we want spreading out of control on ships or in general.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhilBenz said:

Typical troll bait.

OK, I'll bite. It's not about whinging. It's about getting NCL to step up and do what's right. They took their own sweet time doing it, but they finally caved. It doesn't matter that it probably wasn't our actions but the closing of Asian ports that made them cancel the 17 feb and 27 Feb sailings. What matters is that they cancelled them, and offered full refunds to passengers.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are some COVID-19 coronavirus cases amongst the crew. They'll doubtless swap out all the crew and wash their hands of the whole thing, and leave Asia to go cruising somewhere else until the smoke thins. I'm reminded of Pete Seeger's "Song of the Punch Press Operator":

Employees who risk being carriers of the virus will be replaced by fresh meat.

It's a sorry state of affairs, but should serve to remind future passengers that NCL, like most (if not all) cruise lines is a huge corporation interested only in the bottom line. Paying lip service to passengers' health and well-being is part of the dance. Nobody should be surprised at this. It's the way things work in the modern world. Book more cruises, as you like, but remain vigilant to protect your own interests, without the illusion that companies like NCL have anything but their own fiduciary interests at heart.

RCCL waited until 2 days before while many guests were traveling to Singapore before cancelling the Quantum cruises.  They also held the same hard line of no refunds if you cancelled on your own.  I'm betting that the ones on the NCL forums saying they will not sail on NCL again will completely give RCCL a pass for doing the same.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

RCCL waited until 2 days before while many guests were traveling to Singapore before cancelling the Quantum cruises.  They also held the same hard line of no refunds if you cancelled on your own.  I'm betting that the ones on the NCL forums saying they will not sail on NCL again will completely give RCCL a pass for doing the same.  

I thought I read that MSC sailed from Singapore a few days ago.  If this is true, I'd bet they will get a pass as well.

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Fly out early and jump on some other ship.

Jewel of the Seas is really cheap. 

omfg!! You weren't kidding!  I've been looking for something to take the place (at least partially)  of the Feb 27th cruise on Jade, and thanks to you, I just booked an outside cabin on the March 2nd 7-day round-trip cruise out of Dubai for $175pp!  And no, that is not a misprint, lol.  It came to $537.70 all-in including taxes and fees.  I've taken inexpensive cruises before, but that borders on the ridiculous.

Thank you very again for the heads-up! 

When it is about ship time. 

For us in the UK, dubai/gulf and Suez trips are often better value than coming to the US for similar flight times. 

Not so good for US people unless there already. 

That is cheaper than UK, for that I would have looked at B2B and done the 9th as well

6 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

My RCCL 2/24/20 Quantum cruise was cancelled 2 weeks before sailing date, had my full refund on 2/14/20, still passing paperwork about flight compensation.

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

My RCCL 2/24/20 Quantum cruise was cancelled 2 weeks before sailing date, had my full refund on 2/14/20, still passing paperwork about flight compensation.

Good for you but the cruise leaving this past Saturday was cancelled on Thursday. People were finding out when they landed that their cruise was cancelled.