Nut allergy

Century2000

Allergy warning

This post only applies to those who have an allergy to nuts and is offered as friendly advice about the limited choices you might experience. Oceania’s pastry chefs add nuts to almost every dessert recipe (as well as several appetizers and entrees that don’t usually contain nuts). We were told that the ship offers ice cream, fruit, or cheese plates to accommodate those with allergies. These items are easily obtained at home and seem unworthy of a line that strives to offer the best cuisine at sea.  On a typical evening there might be four beautiful, creative desserts and ALL of them will be “off limits” to those with nut allergies. 

Oceania offers to provide the next day’s menu to those with allergies so that “safe” items can be selected. But, unfortunately, the substitute desserts with “no nuts” (usually one per meal) were bland, dry, and devoid of all flavor.

We love Oceania but have reluctantly decided to book future cruises with a line that offers those with common allergies more options and more variety.

Sounds reasonable to me. Impossible to be all things to all people. Those that try soon becomes nothing to everyone. Many posters here ( certainly not all) complain about how Oceania has blanded  down dishes to accommodate the masses. We don’t need further distractions.

I feel sorry for people with  nut allergies and wish them the best on other lines. Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

Century2000 - Could you please use a bigger font next time?  It was difficult to read your post.  Also - Perhaps "cruising" is not the best fit for people with nut allergies; any more than elevators are meant for people who are claustrophobic or high scenic overlooks would be suitable for folks suffering from vertigo.  Not every situation or venue in the world can (or should) be suitably tailored to compensate for every disability or human frailty.  I wouldn't advise people with nut allergies to go into a Texas Roadhouse or a Five Guys restaurant.  Regards

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

it was announced last week that there is a medication now approved for people with peanut and other nut allergies to overcome their problem.

If your worried on what you might get in dining out....I suggest reading " Kitchen Confidential"  by Anthony Bordain....   it will open your yes as to what they say and what they do in restaurants....no matter  .....  what they say but they do or dont.

Bon appetite 

Edited by Hawaiidan

23 hours ago, Century2000 said:

We love Oceania but have reluctantly decided to book future cruises with a line that offers those with common allergies more options and more variety.

Do you have better experiences on other lines or are you just hoping for better experiences?

It’s an ongoing problem.  I’ve learned to live without nuts. On most cruise lines, I am limited to desserts of ice cream, fruit, plain cookies, jello, and cheese.  Oceania also often has nut free pastry, bread pudding, and mousse.  The worst cruise was on Amawaterways.  Everything had nuts. When I asked the pastry chef to make something without nuts, she said if it didn’t have nuts, it wasn’t worth making.  While we really liked AMA, I hesitate to sail with them. 
The worst place for people who cannot eat nuts is on planes.  You can order all kinds of special meals. No nuts is not a option.  To be safe, I bring food.  On my last plane ride, they served an assortment of nuts.  When I said that I couldn’t eat nuts, they just said sorry. I am used to it.  I expect nothing and am happy when foods are nut free.

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The worst place for people who cannot eat nuts is on planes.  You can order all kinds of special meals. No nuts is not a option.  To be safe, I bring food.  On my last plane ride, they served an assortment of nuts.  When I said that I couldn’t eat nuts, they just said sorry. I am used to it.  I expect nothing and am happy when foods are nut free.

our last flight  someone in BUS class had a nut allergy  so no one got a snack

If they had warned us before boarding I would have grabbed something in the terminal ..

We were in business class. I just said no to the nuts. No alternative was offered.  I am ok if other people near me eat nuts.  It just annoys me that they still serve nuts. I was happy that the meal was ok. There are many airplane meals that are full of nuts I never expect nut free food on a plane.  That's why to be safe, I bring food.  My go to travel food is prepared tuna or cheese and crackers. I only eat if if the food on the plane has nuts.  Once I was on a trans Atlantic flight when I needed to eat the tuna. A woman across the aisle complained that she didn't like the smell.  She was eating the nuts. She asked the attendant to make me stop. I was allowed to eat. 

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

our last flight  someone in BUS class had a nut allergy  so no one got a snack

If they had warned us before boarding I would have grabbed something in the terminal ..

As long as they don't take away my emotional support snake, I'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oceania is not the only line with the nut problem with desserts.  Le Ponant desserts were made with nuts and the cheese plate was served with walnuts on it.  I did get a cheesecake made without nuts specially made for me on Oceania.  I guess it depends on the Maitre D.  The Creme Brulee does not have nuts and most mousse do not have nuts.  In a way it was beneficial that the desserts had nuts in them, I didn't put on extra weight as I skipped dessert.