What are the odds of cabin availability changing?

1025cruise

I've been eyeballing a Panama Canal cruise in December. The timing works perfect for me. However, when I put in 2 cruisers, only Aqua, oceanview, and inside cabins are available. If I put in 3 cruisers, then Concierge and Verandah open up. I would think for the Panama Canal I definitely want at least a Verandah. I know its a holiday cruise, but if time moves on, will Celebrity release these cabins for 2 cruisers? Or should I start looking at different TAs?

You can book any of the cabins that show up under either 2 or 3 persons.

Celebrity tries to block 3 person cabins until the ship reaches a certain percent full.

If you want to book online, simply insert the cabin number you want when you are booking.

I would call and book through a Celebrity rep, or a TA, and get the free upgrade if you have a Captain's Club number.

Bon Voyage

You might also consider booking a room with a capacity of 3 that is currently blocked and then later add the 3rd person to the reservation. 

Also as you get closer to sailing some of the Travel Agencies with Block Booking will return the unsold cabins to inventory. 

Just call. Most likely the representative will be able to assign you one of the 3 person cabins for the two of you.

Cabin availability changes all the time.

At the 90 day final payment date, many will open up, if you're willing to take the gamble that you'll be stalking the site at the perfect time. (Of course, the prices can go up or down too.)

Or get a good TA, and they'll do it for you.

Edited by sippican
  • Thanks 1

I agree to call X and talk to them.  Yes, also try other TA that may have room blocks held. 

My guess is they are playing "games" with availability since it's a holiday sailing and they will get lots of families resulting in higher capacity.

When they don't all sell.....I have to believe X will offer them to 2 persons.  Be patient.

Agree you want "at least" a veranda.  Maybe you can even get a sweet 16.  Aft facing would be great for the Canal day.  Super view of the locks.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You might also consider booking a room with a capacity of 3 that is currently blocked and then later add the 3rd person to the reservation. 

Also as you get closer to sailing some of the Travel Agencies with Block Booking will return the unsold cabins to inventory. 

I believe the OP is looking to book for only two passengers.

I know you have a lot of experience on Celebrity cruises.  Are you confident in your implication that a Travel Agent can block a particular cabin for an extended people of time without a designated person assigned to the booking?

My understanding is that a Travel Agent can block a certain category of cabins, but not a particular cabin.

I am just curious and trying to take advantage of you vast experience and knowledge.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

I agree to call X and talk to them.  Yes, also try other TA that may have room blocks held. 

My guess is they are playing "games" with availability since it's a holiday sailing and they will get lots of families resulting in higher capacity.

When they don't all sell.....I have to believe X will offer them to 2 persons.  Be patient.

Agree you want "at least" a veranda.  Maybe you can even get a sweet 16.  Aft facing would be great for the Canal day.  Super view of the locks.

PelicanLvr, same question for you about the room block.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I've been eyeballing a Panama Canal cruise in December. The timing works perfect for me. However, when I put in 2 cruisers, only Aqua, oceanview, and inside cabins are available. If I put in 3 cruisers, then Concierge and Verandah open up. I would think for the Panama Canal I definitely want at least a Verandah. I know its a holiday cruise, but if time moves on, will Celebrity release these cabins for 2 cruisers? Or should I start looking at different TAs?

100% chance cabins will appear. 

First lots of TAs will have group blocks. Calling around might get you a cabin in their block - but it is pretty late.

Second at final payment date you get cancellations. When I booked it was in the 5% area.

Last people are constantly changing cabins, cruises or cancelling for personal reasons. Especially before final payment date because if booked in the US likely 100% refundable.

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

100% chance cabins will appear. 

First lots of TAs will have group blocks. Calling around might get you a cabin in their block - but it is pretty late.

Second at final payment date you get cancellations. When I booked it was in the 5% area.

Last people are constantly changing cabins, cruises or cancelling for personal reasons. Especially before final payment date because if booked in the US likely 100% refundable.

The third person on this thread who is implying that Travel Agents are able to block particular cabins for an extended period without an actual booking.  

57 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

The third person on this thread who is implying that Travel Agents are able to block particular cabins for an extended period without an actual booking.  

As a retired TA simple answer - yes. TAs on most cruises will create a group rate for 25 or more cabins. The type and class is usually 2B Veranda. The cabins can be held until an agreed date without payment. Usually about 4-6 months out.

To verify look at veranda cabins for Summit transatlantic 1 August 2021. 

Those blocks sell out. I booked TA this April. 3 perks and rate is still less if you want the perks.

Same thing for accommodation in National Parks. TAs can book and hold rooms before they are offered to individuals and can cancell up to 30 days out. Again cancell very many rooms and they take you off their TA list.

18 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

As a retired TA simple answer - yes. TAs on most cruises will create a group rate for 25 or more cabins. The type and class is usually 2B Veranda. The cabins can be held until an agreed date without payment. Usually about 4-6 months out.

To verify look at veranda cabins for Summit transatlantic 1 August 2021. 

Those blocks sell out. I booked TA this April. 3 perks and rate is still less if you want the perks.

Same thing for accommodation in National Parks. TAs can book and hold rooms before they are offered to individuals and can cancell up to 30 days out. Again cancell very many rooms and they take you off their TA list.

I think I understand about the group space/allocation being held.  But as a TA were you able to hold an exact cabin number or just a certain number of cabins in that category?  Probably does not matter so much,  unless one is looking for a particular cabin.

Thank you for explaining.  

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I think I understand about the group space/allocation being held.  But as a TA were you able to hold an exact cabin number or just a certain number of cabins in that category?  Probably does not matter so much,  unless one is looking for a particular cabin.

Thank you for explaining.  

Not a specific cabin number, just categories.

Edited by sippican

IMHO, there is no way these cabins all ALL sold out to specific bookings.  Look at the large availability of oceanview & inside cabins. 

My guess (I am not a TA) is that if:

Large Blocks given out to agents = capacity in that category.......it shows as sold out.

TA's out there:  Is that possible??

Recently I booked a sweet 16 from a large internet cruise agency and was told it was the last at that price in their block.  It clearly did not matter which room I booked, but I was part of their block.

It's all a big game....keep playing until you win!

22 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Since the advent of NRD, this might not be the case. It’s the reason NRD were introduced.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, jagoffee said:

I believe the OP is looking to book for only two passengers.

I know you have a lot of experience on Celebrity cruises.  Are you confident in your implication that a Travel Agent can block a particular cabin for an extended people of time without a designated person assigned to the booking?

My understanding is that a Travel Agent can block a certain category of cabins, but not a particular cabin.

I am just curious and trying to take advantage of you vast experience and knowledge.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarity  I mis-read and thought they were trying to book 3 in a cabin.  

My understanding, and I could be wrong is they actually get a block of cabins often grouped together.    Maybe one of our members that are agents could clarify. 

As you said-   As you get to Final Payment Date ---  you will see a lot of availability open up

• Like 1