How low will it go?

I am looking at several Caribbean cruises for early April.  We got cheap airfare on a whim and now figure that with current cruise prices we'll break even (if not better) cruising versus renting a car, place to stay, food, etc.  

I have several that fit my window, and I've been watching them go down steadily for a bit now.  There are 2 Royal Caribbean cruises that are 1 and 2 on my list, and they just dropped this weekend by a fair bit, they're now in the 300's, for guarantee cabin, total is 8-900.  It's worth mentioning there are Carnival and NCL cruises that also fit my needs.

The cruise that's number 1 on my list has around 90 inside rooms and almost 40 Oceanview cabins still available, a bit over a month out.  

Should I keep waiting?  We just got into the cruising game last year on Independence last year, so I'm not really sure how the pricing goes.  I've got options, so I'm not feeling pressure, but I just wonder if there's a point where they just won't go cheaper.

Looking forward to the opinions and experience of everyone!  And cruising, definitely looking forward to cruising.

13 minutes ago, cruisingcasual said:

I've got options, so I'm not feeling pressure, but I just wonder if there's a point where they just won't go cheaper.

It would be pretty unusual for rates to go below $50pppd. Most drops inside final payment happen around 60 days out, but this spring there may be some affect by coronavirus and really can't say where price will go.

If they haven't allocated the guaranteed cabins yet that room availability could go down quickly. That's what happened to us last September. A couple of hundred cabins left went down to just a handful overnight about a month before departure. Can only think it was because of the allocation of guarenteed rooms. But as Biker says the coronavisus means that there may be cancellations which is causing the price drops. So not 'normal' times.... 

Edited by sgmn

Maybe all prices are dropping on all cruise lines? We got significant price drops for our Harmony B2B cruises this coming December. 

Perhaps the Coronavirus is causing people to cancel and the algorythms are causing price drops?

T

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

If they haven't allocated the guaranteed cabins yet that room availability could go down quickly. That's what happened to us last September. A couple of hundred cabins left went down to just a handful overnight about a month before departure. Can only think it was because of the allocation of guarenteed rooms. But as Biker says the coronavisus means that there may be cancellations which is causing the price drops. So not 'normal' times.... 

I agree completely. If they hit the button to process any Royal-ups or the guarantee cabins, the cruise could fill up quickly and the rate go up within minutes! Plus, for those cancelling and rebooking the flu cruises from Asia, they may now be looking at the same cruise you are looking at. I would book NOW!  Also, they do have a 24 hour guarantee for a price match, I think.

It is similar to the price of gas. If it goes down, it will be a little, but if it goes back up, it will be a lot. Don't risk it.  Also, loyal to Royal here. They have a better product!

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

A matter of 10 days back ours was sold out in our category, so no chance for PD's, or so we thought. Friday I noticed a HUGE PD on ours, phoned in, saved $1372 on our upcoming Baltic. Suddenly, cabin cancellations. When I asked if the virus news has anything to do with it, "perhaps so" was my answer.

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisingcasual said:

The cruise that's number 1 on my list has around 90 inside rooms and almost 40 Oceanview cabins still available, a bit over a month out.  

It's impossible to know how many cabins are available.  

Look at it this way.  

Suppose there are 200 inside rooms.  150 of those rooms have been sold, not as guarantees, someone has booked specific room.  The cruise line site would show 50 rooms available since those rooms have not been assigned to any one and anyone could book any of those rooms. They are available for booking.  However, there have been 40 guarantees sold.  So, in reality, there are only 10 rooms unsold, not 50.  

Should have been more patient!

I booked at 349 a person after it bumped up from 319.  The next day, and still is, went down to 299.  I called my big box travel agent, who called Royal Caribbean, and they did absolutely nothing.  I'm still happy to be cruising, but I'll need some time to sooth my purchasing guilt.

I think sometimes they bump up the price just to motivate people who are watching to push the button and commit before the price possibly goes even higher. Then they drop it back down if they didn't scare enough people to buy up the inventory during the bump up. Of course, that is just my own theory.

13 hours ago, cruisingcasual said:

Should have been more patient!

I booked at 349 a person after it bumped up from 319.  The next day, and still is, went down to 299.  I called my big box travel agent, who called Royal Caribbean, and they did absolutely nothing.  I'm still happy to be cruising, but I'll need some time to sooth my purchasing guilt.

No need for the guilt in my opinion. 

I look at it this way. If you thought it was worth $349 when you purchased it, it's still worth that much to you regardless of what somebody else pays for it.

Enjoy the cruise!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisingcasual said:

Didn't figure on money back, was hoping for some on board credit.  I will keep an eye out for the upgrade possibility!

At this point, I’d only watch for for inexpensive upgrade opportunities. If a better cabin price drops to just a little more than you have paid, you may decide it is worth it to spend a little more to enjoy a nice space.

That brings back a fond memory.  Several years agoI booked a balcony cabin and after final payment  prices dropped on balcony cabins...darn.  About a week later, they offered a junior suite guarantee. Since I had paid the old, higher balcony price (not the new, lower one), the additional cost to upgrade was not too much more, so we did.  We were assigned a nice full suite.  Funny, if I had booked at the lower balcony price, I probably would not have upgraded to the suite gty, as the price difference would have been higher.

37 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Several years agoI booked a balcony cabin and after final payment  prices dropped on balcony cabins...darn.  About a week later, they offered a junior suite guarantee. Since I had paid the old, higher balcony price (not the new, lower one), the additional cost to upgrade was not too much more, so we did.  We were assigned a nice full suite.  

That is exactly how to play this game! As long as you are going at least one category up--even a minor up--you are repriced at the current rate. It's not fun when prices are rising because upgrades get out of reach, but when prices are tumbling, you can have some fun with this.

28 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

That is exactly how to play this game! As long as you are going at least one category up--even a minor up--you are repriced at the current rate. It's not fun when prices are rising because upgrades get out of reach, but when prices are tumbling, you can have some fun with this.

Yes, those of us who enjoy nice staterooms (at least once in a while) sometimes find ourselves in nice cabins when prices fall.  I have enjoyed cruises in all sorts of cabins, though I always appreciate a nicer space.

Of course, there are cruisers who say they are only in their cabins to sleep and shower; such folks may be reluctant to pay a dime for an  upgrade.  I understand their point of view, too.

Sure wish our cruise prices would drop! June sailing from Spain, and ours went UP again today!  Oh well, I can still hope for a price drop...or cabins to open up for a chance to upgrade. I booked over a year again and the two cabin categories I wanted were already sold out, and still are...but I keep checking 😉 and hoping.