Considering a transatlantic cruise

We’ve never done a transatlantic and I’m curious if there are increased number of ship activities/ trivia/ lectures etc to fill the time onboard.

Also, since there are 8 sea days, is the MDR open for breakfast and lunch on those sea days?

Any information y’all can provide would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only done one TA on Celebrity, but there were plenty of activities on the sea days.  We had two very good speakers and I think there was a third that did not interest me.  I usually like a nice afternoon nap, but that trip I had a hard time fitting it in! 

One of the speakers was Nigel West on (military) Intelligence, and another speaker on SETI.  EM

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I've only done one TA on Celebrity, but there were plenty of activities on the sea days.  We had two very good speakers and I think there was a third that did not interest me.  I usually like a nice afternoon nap, but that trip I had a hard time fitting it in! 

One of the speakers was Nigel West on (military) Intelligence, and another speaker on SETI.  EM

Speakers and entertainment daily. Lots of activities or just read a book. MDR open 3 meals a day. Often either Tuscan or Murano for lunch.

Again a TA is not for everyone. This is a laid back group that is a bit older than on other cruises and very experienced cruisers.  We love them.

Go for it.   You will be addicted instantly.   TA's are the most relaxing vacations I have ever had.   There is more things planned hourly you could wear yourself out.    As others noted they often have great "Beyond the Podium Speakers".   Some have been so popular there was standing room only in the theater.  

The Captain often has a presentation and a Q&A that can be really informative.   They also often have tours of the Galley, Backstage, Bridge etc.

We have done three transatalantics and one transpacific cruise.  

We like flying to Europe and doing a land trip on our own, then taking a cruise back to the USA.  We save on the return flight home and transatlantic cruises are probably the cheapest per day since they are repositioning cruises.

Many transatlantic cruises include ports in Europe, the Caribbean, or places like the Azores, Iceland, Bermuda.

One of our best was from Southampton, England to Boston, NYC (overnight), Bermuda, Nassau and ending in Miami.

There are activities while in the Atlantic like trivia, enrichment lectures and more.  I always read 3-4 books during the cruise.

We’ve done 4 and have the 5th coming up! So I guess we like them. You got your responses on your specific questions, and one other consideration, is do join the Roll Call for a TA, there will be a lot the CC members do.

We had a lot of games (cards and board games), we had socials and our own wine and cocktail tastings, and a chocolate sharing....lots of fun things. A book club and a group that met and did crafts together.

we met a lot of people from the UK and had a grand time learning proper English!! And of course, comparing our long histories - I’m originally from LA and explained that in my hometown, anything older than 1960’s was historical!!

Try one and have fun!

Den

Transatlantic crossings are our favorite.  We have done 5 so far, all starting in Europe and ending in Miami or Fort Lauderdale.  Like others, we usually spend some time in Europe, usually a week or two, before boarding.  Rome is my personal favorite place to embark.  I can never get enough of Rome.  While I love venturing into the ports, my favorite part of these cruises are the sea days....nothing like being three days from land in both directions....you really feel away from it all.....if that’s what you want.  I come back totally refreshed after TA’s.  I feel most people on these cruises are of a like mind in this regard.....chill.  Also, in our experience, the seas have been wonderful.  Never have we sailed in rough seas....lucky perhaps.  I just looked at Celebrity’s site and notice that most April TA’s are wide open and quite reasonable rates.....surely scare of Coronavirus is causing some cancelations and dimming many new bookings.  In my opinion, simply be extra aware of being in groups settings and extra hand cleaning will help you stay healthy onboard.  But if booking these days, always get travel insurance as the near future may be volatile regarding the effects of Coronavirus panic and outbreak. My two cents.

BK

• Like 2

I think TA’s so are the way to travel, as we love to stay longer in Europe, and plan to stay a week in Sydney before our first TP!  The only thing that has changed is the price of the one-way flights for biz class...extremely expensive, as they use to be pretty good.  My DH and I were able to pay around 700 for multi- flights to Barcelona(b2b/TA) and then FLL to home, but it is all coach.  We will upgrade after payment if seats are available, I guess.  But TA’s are wonderful, as you can do as little or as much as you want to do!  I find that my eating habits are higher on sea days, so the gym is a top priority!

Edited by Lastdance

If the ship itself is your favorite "destination," then a TA is for you.  They have tons of activities.  I've been on TAs on several different cruise lines and all have been fabulous.  I like to cruise to Europe so that the loss of 5 hours is done over the course of 5 days (as compared to flying over and losing 5 hours in the course of a flight).  I typically go in the spring when many ships are being repositioned.   I like to go to a cruise website that shows cruises from multiple vendors and then I choose based on the price.  Right now you can find some good prices on some of the cruises sailing now through May.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:58 PM, texaridian said:

If the ship itself is your favorite "destination," then a TA is for you.  They have tons of activities.  I've been on TAs on several different cruise lines and all have been fabulous.  I like to cruise to Europe so that the loss of 5 hours is done over the course of 5 days (as compared to flying over and losing 5 hours in the course of a flight).  I typically go in the spring when many ships are being repositioned.   I like to go to a cruise website that shows cruises from multiple vendors and then I choose based on the price.  Right now you can find some good prices on some of the cruises sailing now through May.

I have never seen transatlantic prices this low, but of course that is all because of the coronavirus. But, $349 for a really nice ship for about two weeks?!!!

• 10 months later...

I was looking at a TA cruise from Miami to Rome with stops in Azores, Spain and Canne.  I was telling a friend about it and she didn't think the ship went the direction it did -- said that there were probably buses in between.  I read her the itinerary and my interpretation is that the ship sailed to all places -- only coach trips were the excursions.  She has gone to Romania multiple times and knows Europe and said the itinerary didn't make sense.  I need to prove her wrong .  I believe it was an NCL ship sailing in April .  Thanks.  I hope I didn't confuse you.

7 hours ago, Norwaylin said:

I was looking at a TA cruise from Miami to Rome with stops in Azores, Spain and Canne.  I was telling a friend about it and she didn't think the ship went the direction it did -- said that there were probably buses in between.  I read her the itinerary and my interpretation is that the ship sailed to all places -- only coach trips were the excursions.  She has gone to Romania multiple times and knows Europe and said the itinerary didn't make sense.  I need to prove her wrong .  I believe it was an NCL ship sailing in April .  Thanks.  I hope I didn't confuse you.

The itinerary is reasonable and the ship is scheduled to stop at each of the ports. Departing Miami, you will head East across the Atlantic, stopping in Ponta Delgada (Azores). Prior to entering the Meddy, you stop at Cadiz. Once in the Meddy you will follow the North Coast around, stopping at Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno & Civitavecchia.

Make total sense.

If you don't know the region, check it out on Google Maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 7:34 AM, Heidi13 said:

The itinerary is reasonable and the ship is scheduled to stop at each of the ports. Departing Miami, you will head East across the Atlantic, stopping in Ponta Delgada (Azores). Prior to entering the Meddy, you stop at Cadiz. Once in the Meddy you will follow the North Coast around, stopping at Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno & Civitavecchia.

Make total sense.

If you don't know the region, check it out on Google Maps.

Geography is such a challenge for the US.  😁

• Haha 2

On 2/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, llamo68 said:

We’ve never done a transatlantic and I’m curious if there are increased number of ship activities/ trivia/ lectures etc to fill the time onboard.

Also, since there are 8 sea days, is the MDR open for breakfast and lunch on those sea days?

Any information y’all can provide would be great! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most people start cruising and it’s all about the destinations, how much they can see and how many tours they can sign up for.  After you have seen all the museums, cathedrals, and climbed all the mountains you start to wind down.  Many of us begin to appreciate the finer aspects of cruising...namely the ship.  Transatlantic cruises are the ideal mode of cruising for the folks who want rest and relaxation without all the pressures of tourism.  If you think you are ready then 8 straight days at sea are a relief and treasure to enjoy.  You will never be bored...too many things to enjoy.  Extended days at sea are also an excellent opportunity to meet like minded people who will regale you with stories of their incredible adventures.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...