Newest update 2-25-2020 from CDC USA

Remember the past threads and posts that suggested that the "scare" was just another media hype, blown out of proportion to gain media attention? Where are you now, pundits?

Armchair diagnosticians. Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn the previous night.

12 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Another new confirmed case in Toronto. Woman recently flew from Iran. Canadian health authorities are now telling people to prepare for a pandemic. 

This woman is in quarantine in her home - she has the virus but is not seriously ill.

7 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

This woman is in quarantine in her home - she has the virus but is not seriously ill.

"On Monday, a woman in her 60s who recently returned from Iran was admitted through Sunnybrook’s emergency room and tested positive for suspected infection of the virus, now known as COVID-19.

According to a press release from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, the woman was treated and released the same day, and remains in self-isolation at home."

I imagine she's had lots of contact with the general public before finally going to the hospital. 

Just now, Mapleleafforever said:

"On Monday, a woman in her 60s who recently returned from Iran was admitted through Sunnybrook’s emergency room and tested positive for suspected infection of the virus, now known as COVID-19.

According to a press release from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, the woman was treated and released the same day, and remains in self-isolation at home."

I imagine she's had lots of contact with the general public before finally going to the hospital. 

I didn't hear anything about concerns for the general public at this point.  I suppose they will contact anyone she may have had close contact with upon her return from Iran.  The part that goes under reported are all the people who contract the virus and recover - but I suppose if that was all that was in the media it wouldn't really be newsworthy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John Reid said:

Remember the past threads and posts that suggested that the "scare" was just another media hype, blown out of proportion to gain media attention? Where are you now, pundits?

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 79,553 cases worldwide; 35 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 24, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 2,628 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 24, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I didn't hear anything about concerns for the general public at this point.  I suppose they will contact anyone she may have had close contact with upon her return from Iran.  The part that goes under reported are all the people who contract the virus and recover - but I suppose if that was all that was in the media it wouldn't really be newsworthy.

All kinds of people contract the virus and recover that's a fact.  It looks as if the only people who die already have weakened immune systems. 

If it's seasonal the effect will soon be diminished.  If it's not seasonal this could be an interesting experience.  

Airlines will likely suffer in the interim.  Some smaller ones may fail.  The larger cruise lines have deep pockets full of cash from years of great success.    They'll weather through this unless it turns into a multi-year event.  Other travel related businesses will also be impacted.  Hotel chains, local and regional transportation companies, any tourist destination or business that relies on travel and tourism as it's primary economic driver will suffer.   

At the moment it's very hard to discern between facts and hype.  The infodemic is strong.  The media is doing what the media always does - sensationalize seeking profit.  Social media is doing what social media always does - wild speculation based on whimsical nonsense.  Prognosticators that are proven right as this plays out will simply be lucky that they chose to whimsically predict what eventually proves to be correct.  Those that are proven wrong will be equally unlucky for having gambled and placed their bet on the wrong spot on the game board.   

No one knows how this play out, not even the "experts".  Hindsight as always will be perfect.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Journey99999 said:

Once on board I don't know any lines that offer full refunds.  Cruise contracts don't require them to.  Some lines will refund port fees when a port is skipped, Royal often doesn't in my experience.  

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 4:28 PM, John Reid said:

I keep seeing that Holiday Inn reference. 

Obviously I am out of the loop. Explain, please😀 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, Journey99999 said:

Latest update...............
I hope all this is over soon and our U.S.A. quarantined numbers stay low.

Americans should prepare for coronavirus spread in U.S., CDC says.....
https://news.yahoo.com/americans-prepare-coronavirus-spread-u-175700973.html

Much ado un-necessary panic stations over this. "Fear and concern grows over Coronavirus" that is exactly what they want. "Let's wait for the media to tell us what we should do" seems to be the trend.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:24 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Another new confirmed case in Toronto. Woman recently flew from Iran. Canadian health authorities are now telling people to prepare for a pandemic. 

Not surprising the Canadian government was probably the slowest of the G7 to react to the virus.  

47 minutes ago, DCL2RCI said:

Holiday Inn ad campaigns - "I'm not a <insert profession>, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night".

Technically it's Holiday Inn Express

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Responding to DCL2RCI. 

Thanks, I need to watch more TV. Wonder what else I’m missing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCTaUFXpP8

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7oMF/holiday-inn-express-the-solution

On 2/26/2020 at 9:46 AM, twangster said:

Once on board I don't know any lines that offer full refunds.  Cruise contracts don't require them to.  Some lines will refund port fees when a port is skipped, Royal often doesn't in my experience.  

Agree about the Full Refund. They could have a Cruise to nowhere and dont have give you back a penny of base Cruise. Personally I've got my all my Fees back for missed/skipped Ports in resent memory. Yrs ago would never get Fee back. There was a Class Action Lawsuit against Royal I joined, suing them for missed Port Fees. Was settlement I thought to end not getting them and we also received FCC for past ones before the Lawsuit though wasnt much. Did once get free drinks for 2hrs for missed Port. . ... Reductions in my previous booked Cruises now amount at $2500 over last couple weeks. Will still Cruise, always over prepare. In past would take min of 1 month Meds and cloths with me, will now even more in case get stranded somewhere in a Medical Hold. More so since cruises include 2 TA and travel Solo....

Edited by ONECRUISER

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Jeepers! Showed those to my TV watching DH last night. He never saw them. 

They’re excellent commercials, telling a story and giving a quotable catch phrase. 

Now we’ll be looking for them. It would be nice if they showed an RCI captain that isn’t!