Ship going to another port, instead of what was planned

Luv2cruz1000

There is a thread regarding corona virus in general. It is giving updates on ports denying entry. I wonder if those on Carnival cruises could quickly report how many ports they are making or being denied. I am getting concerned about our 6 day HORIZON cruise next month.

7 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

A little confused over response. Just wondered if people are currently being allowed into ports or should we expect a "cruise to no where" and make our vacation decisions based on the information.

This thing is so noteworthy, and nothing definitive, as to what you are asking, I can only say, you have to research that and make your own conclusion. Only you can make that decision. Your answer to your question? Yes, and no. Some ships are being denied entry for debarkation and others are allowed, depending what the port of entry is. This thing is so fluid it is changing daily. Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

A little confused over response. Just wondered if people are currently being allowed into ports or should we expect a "cruise to no where" and make our vacation decisions based on the information.

It's important to note that there have only been a few ships that have be denied entry into a couple of ports.  There are significantly more ships that have ported without issue.  Missing a port for any reason is all part of cruising and there is nothing that can be done about it.  Also important to note none of the ships that have been denied in the Caribbean actually had cases of coronavirus confirmed on them.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

There is a thread regarding corona virus in general. It is giving updates on ports denying entry. I wonder if those on Carnival cruises could quickly report how many ports they are making or being denied. I am getting concerned about our 6 day HORIZON cruise next month.

We will be on the Breeze april 4th...I am not one bit concerned about the corona virus or if any ports deny the ship.    We will be having a good time one way or another.    Carnival always makes it a good time of a port has to be missed for any reason.

I also have trip insurance that also covers for missed ports.   I always make sure to purchase this specific insurance.    It pays a set amount for any port missed or delayed getting there by 3 hours or more.

Keep in mind, the flu affects millions of americans every year,  killing 12 to 60 thousand people each year.  World wide it kills 290 to 650 thousand people each year.    The corona virus has affected 60 americans so far and 42 of them were from the cruise ship in japan.

Don't let the mass news coverage scare you.

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

From what I have heard. A port is denied only if a passenger has the virus or the ship is coming from a port country that has the virus. In that case, you would be on a ship with the virus and you will know all about it.

If "two day wonder" is right, kind of makes T/As to Europe potentially problematic. All of the T/As will visit a country with cases now, and each time you port 3000 people will be wondering around on land as potential hosts. This in turn potentially sets up the Diamond Princess scenario. Seems like the cruise lines should strongly consider delaying T/As to Europe at least to June to see how this plays out. Just a thought......

From what I have heard. A port is denied only if a passenger has the virus or the ship is coming from a port country that has the virus. In that case, you would be on a ship with the virus and you will know all about it.

This is not correct information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The MSC Meraviglia was blocked by Jamaica and the Cayman Islands this week because of a crew member displaying flu-like symptoms and what the ports claimed to be a travel history to a "country of interest relating to the COVID-19." MSC stated that his travel history didn't include any such countries and that he tested negative for Corona. He had Influenza A, I believe they said it was. However, Cozumel did let them port and debark. And now today, a ship with Fred Olsen Cruise Lines was denied by the Dominican Republic because a few people onboard displayed flu-like symptoms, but none have been confirmed to carry the Coronavirus.

We'll be departing for a southern itinerary next week and I'm not worried. For the most part, the Caribbean isn't much of a concern in regards to cancelled ports as of right now. My wife said a few of her coworkers have come in sick. No reason to believe it's anything other than colds or flu, but she's not happy they decided to come in sick, coughing & sneezing all over the place, when we're days away from our cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

MSC stated that his travel history didn't include any such countries and that he tested negative for Corona. He had Influenza A, I believe they said it was. However, Cozumel did let them port and debark.

They let the Meraviglia passengers disembark because their own coronavirus test on the crew member came back negative in Cozumel, just like MSC maintained from the start.

It will be interesting to see what happens down the line because Ocho Rios denied them out of fear, and Georgetown just rubber stamped the denial without actually reviewing the manifest for themselves.  MSC gave a full refund to everyone on the ship, a 20% FCC and $200 OBC for the troubles on this ship.  Easily cost them $5 million for this one sailing, so you know other lines have to be paying close attention.  If they are denying ports because of the flu it could have serious ramifications for the future of the cruise industry.

• Like 3

They let the Meraviglia passengers disembark because their own coronavirus test on the crew member came back negative in Cozumel, just like MSC maintained from the start.

It will be interesting to see what happens down the line because Ocho Rios denied them out of fear, and Georgetown just rubber stamped the denial without actually reviewing the manifest for themselves.  MSC gave a full refund to everyone on the ship, a 20% FCC and $200 OBC for the troubles on this ship.  Easily cost them $5 million for this one sailing, so you know other lines have to be paying close attention.  If they are denying ports because of the flu it could have serious ramifications for the future of the cruise industry.

Cozumel MX seemed to turn around the test result much faster than the US.

• Like 1

Refreshing to see MSC respond quickly and very fairly. That’s very good news.

9 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

We will be on the Breeze april 4th...I am not one bit concerned about the corona virus or if any ports deny the ship.    We will be having a good time one way or another.    Carnival always makes it a good time of a port has to be missed for any reason.

I also have trip insurance that also covers for missed ports.   I always make sure to purchase this specific insurance.    It pays a set amount for any port missed or delayed getting there by 3 hours or more.

Keep in mind, the flu affects millions of americans every year,  killing 12 to 60 thousand people each year.  World wide it kills 290 to 650 thousand people each year.    The corona virus has affected 60 americans so far and 42 of them were from the cruise ship in japan.

Don't let the mass news coverage scare you.

Do you have the Carnival insurance or do you purchase it elsewhere? I did not know they covered missed ports.

1 hour ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

Do you have the Carnival insurance or do you purchase it elsewhere? I did not know they covered missed ports.

Reading through Carnival's coverage, I don't think they cover missed ports, but some third-party policies do. For example, the policy we bought through Nationwide for our upcoming cruise offers compensation for itinerary changes that are made before and after departure.

• Like 1

Lov2Cruise1000, it looks like we are to do the same cruise.  Yes many of my family/friends are concerned about us traveling, and I just heard back from our touring guide in Jamaica, and he said everything was fine there!  So each day will take us closer to finding out what really is going on.

I have only read of the Fascination not being allowed in St Lucia after a crew member became ill. I guess St Lucia did not have access to testing and so the ship docked in Barbados.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-crew-member-tested-for-coronavirus-ship-denied-at-caribbean-port/38025

There are so many moving parts. Are these islands “ lab-prepared “ to run tests on “flagged” passengers? Cozumel did an excellent job very quickly but idk how some of these smaller locations are equipped to do this. I know ships have flu swabs and can run those easily.

17 hours ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I have Nationwide purchased on a different site.   It pays a set amount for ports missed.   I believe ours is $300 per missed port.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Any ports that you payed port charges for will be refunded. No insurance needed for that.

I am not talking about refund of port charges...carnival does that for everyone if a port is missed.   I have travel insurance through Nationwide that pays a set amount if a port is missed.   We always get that insurance for our cruises. 

We were paid $1500 total for a cruise taken 2 years ago on RCI during the hurricanes when our ports were all completely changed.   Well worth the coverage.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

An MSC ship out of Miami was denied port entry at both Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman last week because ONE crew member was being isolated for having Influenza Type A.  Cozumel went back and forth on first granting access, then denying it, then eventually allowing them port access.  Not a single passenger was ill, and the crew person had regular flu.