DAILY SERVICE INCREASE AGAIN?????

drumming cruisers

On 2/29/2020 at 6:33 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

On the Breakaway last month our cabin steward was not very good at all.  No ice, after asking several times, did not turn down cabin after at night a couple of times (I really don't care if my sheets are turned back but we needed clean towels) when I went to find her, her reason was "It is my first day" ... uh no, I seen you yesterday and the day before, 🙄  We would leave the cabin at 7 am and go back at 3pm on most days and the cabin was still not cleaned.

The month before on MSC Seaside it was just as bad.  It seems to me that the crew has gotten in the frame of mind that they are going to get paid anyway so why bother.

I have never adjusted the DSC but I will on my next cruise if the cabin steward has an IDGAD attitude.

If an employee receives enough complaints about his job performances, he or she could risk getting fired.  IWhat does IDGAD mean?  I'm not good with acronyms.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:00 AM, mdsgu said:

If you don't like it, or if you feel you didn't get your money's worth, march yourself down to the front desk on the last night, tell them you need to adjust your DSC, they will give you a form to complete, and, voila! it's done. 

And that is most likely why it keeps going up, they have to collect a certain amount to pay the crew, so when more remove it, the more it goes up every year.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, dmdiver said:

More & more I feel like the DSC should just be rolled up into the cost of the cruise.  We seem to be alarmed/dismayed if DSC increases by 50 cents per day, yet if cruise fare for a 7 night cruise increased by $3.50, we would think nothing of it.  

I suppose it has more to do with the value we feel we are getting - is the staff attentive enough to be worth an additional 50 cents per day?  We've only had one steward that we felt was not that good, but even then we did not adjust the DSC.  We didn't care for much of the staff on our Princess cruise, but did not adjust the DSC  I guess a lot of people must adjust that if they are not happy with the service they receive, but I've never had such bad service that I felt compelled to stand in line to reduce the DSC.

NCL rolled it into the fares for overseas guests for a short period, apparently bookings went down so they discontinued it.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL rolled it into the fares for overseas guests for a short period, apparently bookings went down so they discontinued it.

I think if NCL would have just said they discontinued the DSC and then waited a month or two to raise the prices, it could have worked.  But many in these folks in these countries just refuse to pay the DSC whether it is in the DSC or fare.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I think if NCL would have just said they discontinued the DSC and then waited a month or two to raise the prices, it could have worked.  But many in these folks in these countries just refuse to pay the DSC whether it is in the DSC or fare.

You give me a choice of 'included' or gratuities and I will choose gratuities every time.  I want those who are tasked with serving me to be directly accountable to me, I do not want to be just some random guest assigned to an just another employee.  

It has worked for me all my life and I firmly believe the quality of service is better when the server knows a portion of their compensation is directly tied to the level of service they provide to you.

On 2/29/2020 at 4:26 AM, blcruising said:

As stated above, you can adjust it to whatever you believe is appropriate at guest services. This needs to be done onboard prior to disembarking the vessel and usually only on the final two days of the sailing. I've been adjusting to $14.50 per day after the increase last year. I explain the service has been fine but that I have to get my own pool towels, they don't make my towel animals, I have to ask for ice, I have to pick up my own liquor at the end of the cruise, and that I valued the good service at $14.50 per person per day. I've done it respectfully and will continue to do so, and have always had a positive experience with guest services when doing so. It's only $1.00 per person per day so the majority of the DSC is still given to NCL. What they do with it and how it is ultimately distributed is out of my control.

Hi sorry have a question about adjusting tip/gratuity at end of cruise or prior to disembarking. Do you just go to the desk and tell them you are giving cash tips and want to adjust your gratuities. Do they tell you how much you can adjust or do you tell them how much?  Is it given back as credit on room bill or as somebody stated do you have to fill out form and they mail it back to you or credit the card you used to originally pay if you paid prior to boarding. We are booked way in advance for a transatlantic cruise April, 2021. Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

And that is most likely why it keeps going up, they have to collect a certain amount to pay the crew, so when more remove it, the more it goes up every year.

This may be true. If they are paying crew wages (which they are contractually obligated to pay) with a service charge ( which is discretionary), that is a problem. Covering wages in the base fare would be a better approach to ensure their crew are paid what they are contractually obligated to pay. Leaving that to a discretionary service charge is like playing Russian roulette.

3 minutes ago, debbyfelse1963 said:

Hi sorry have a question about adjusting tip/gratuity at end of cruise or prior to disembarking. Do you just go to the desk and tell them you are giving cash tips and want to adjust your gratuities. Do they tell you how much you can adjust or do you tell them how much?  Is it given back as credit on room bill or as somebody stated do you have to fill out form and they mail it back to you or credit the card you used to originally pay if you paid prior to boarding. We are booked way in advance for a transatlantic cruise April, 2021. Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance.

You can tell them how much you want to adjust. The charges are removed from your onboard account before debarking the vessel.

10 minutes ago, blcruising said:

This may be true. If they are paying crew wages (which they are contractually obligated to pay) with a service charge ( which is discretionary), that is a problem. Covering wages in the base fare would be a better approach to ensure their crew are paid what they are contractually obligated to pay. Leaving that to a discretionary service charge is like playing Russian roulette.

Wording isn’t very clear.https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-is-onboard-service-charge

We received the letter and as I told my adult children before we booked our family vacation on POA that it should be no surprise when the DSC increase happens. Gee whiz every year it happens. I also told them when we all travel together to Hawaii expect that when NCL raises the DSC they will also pay the GET Tax on top of it. I am not happy with the increase but it was no surprise and we will pay ahead of time. The trip costs more per person than my YC cabin on MSC😱

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

This is why the cruise lines should pay the help an hourly rate just like every other business in the world.    That’s the problem.  They try to use the DSC as their pay to scrimp and save money.   And that’s total BS.  
if they paid them an hourly rate and then the tips was like any waiter/waitress an added bonus. The service might be a lot better.   
instead they pay them a poor monthly salary and then they get a very small piece of the DSC.   
if you think about it. How many people are they trying to splitting the 15.50 with.  
roomstewart

waiter 

busperson
head waiter

dishwasher

bar tenders

laundry staff
towel person

and all the other staff.  

just to name a few.  
Do you tip some of these people on land??   

just pay them a good wage and this wouldn’t be an issue.   

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

This is why the cruise lines should pay the help an hourly rate just like every other business in the world.    That’s the problem.  They try to use the DSC as their pay to scrimp and save money.   And that’s total BS.  
if they paid them an hourly rate and then the tips was like any waiter/waitress an added bonus. The service might be a lot better.   
instead they pay them a poor monthly salary and then they get a very small piece of the DSC.   
if you think about it. How many people are they trying to splitting the 15.50 with.  
roomstewart

waiter 

busperson
head waiter

dishwasher

bar tenders

laundry staff
towel person

and all the other staff.  

just to name a few.  

Fine with me but then it would just cost more to cruise, the DSC makes cruising appear cheaper than it actually is. It would have to be all or none across all of the lines.

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

I've never understood this logic.  It shouldn't matter where the money comes to pay the crew as long as they are getting their contracted salary.  I would bet if it came from the fare they would get the minimum, but with the DSC, depending on how much is paid, they can get much more.  If enough of the DSC is removed and doesn't come up to their contractual salary, NCL must pay the difference to bring it up to the contract rate, so the crew can never get less than their contracted rate.  I believe the reason the crew works so hard is because they want the passenger to pay the DSC, so they get more money....but that is just my opinion and others differ.

27 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

roomstewart

waiter 

busperson
head waiter

dishwasher

bar tenders

laundry staff
towel person

and all the other staff.  

just to name a few.  

Um you do realize that in the US waiters are paid a lower minimum wage under the assumption that tips will push them over the actual minimum wage? The way cruises are structured for employees that get DSC/gratuities is VERY similar. In fact, from posts I've seen of people who have actually worked on cruise ships it's practically identical to the same set up you say they should have. 

Also, bartenders are not part of DSC.

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I believe the reason the crew works so hard is because they want the passenger to pay the DSC, so they get more money....but that is just my opinion and others differ.

Yup....I served are bartended for years in my younger days.  The only ones who would support a set salary are the ones who sucked and usually moved on in a short time frame.  They provided crap service and then complained they weren't making any $$$.  Any of the good servers knew they could outperform their mediocre peers simply by providing a level of service they were not.  Making it some level playing field where all make the same no matter what they do comes at the detriment of the customer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Um you do realize that in the US waiters are paid a lower minimum wage under the assumption that tips will push them over the actual minimum wage? The way cruises are structured for employees that get DSC/gratuities is VERY similar. In fact, from posts I've seen of people who have actually worked on cruise ships it's practically identical to the same set up you say they should have. 

Also, bartenders are not part of DSC.

I am aware.    I’m from the US.    And a lot of good waiters and waitresses make good money because of the service they give.     But we’re not talking about land based operations.  Were talking about cruise lines. 

Let’s do some math here.  The Joy.  
3883 passengers. X. 108.50.   =421,305.50 

divided by 1700 employees.  = 247.82     

do you think each person gets 247.82 each.    
I think not.   where’s the money really going.   

even if a few take off the DSC. 
3500x108.50=379,750.   
divided by 223.38.   

do you think what’s what every crew member gets.  

I think not.    

422DF7F3-C306-420C-ABB4-DA132194ABB1.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I've never understood this logic.  It shouldn't matter where the money comes to pay the crew as long as they are getting their contracted salary.  I would bet if it came from the fare they would get the minimum, but with the DSC, depending on how much is paid, they can get much more.  If enough of the DSC is removed and doesn't come up to their contractual salary, NCL must pay the difference to bring it up to the contract rate, so the crew can never get less than their contracted rate.  I believe the reason the crew works so hard is because they want the passenger to pay the DSC, so they get more money....but that is just my opinion and others differ.

I think you are right...it shouldn't matter. My response was to someone that suggested that enough people were reducing DSC so NCL had to make up the difference out of its own pockets and so they were artificially increasing the daily DSC to account for the shortfall which makes it less about rewarding service.

As a matter of principal though, if they are using DSC to meet the salary part of the employee contract, why not just say that is the case? "We are using your DSC, in part or in full, to meet our contractual salary obligations to our crew regardless of the level of service they provide to you." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blcruising said:

As a matter of principal though, if they are using DSC to meet the salary part of the employee contract, why not just say that is the case? 

Well they do say that they are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service supports.  Seems pretty clear to me.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Well they do say that they are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service supports.  Seems pretty clear to me.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

Agree. Until I received an email yesterday explaining that they were increasing DSC. No mention of the compensation portion here, only gratuitues. When you put the two together, not so clear anymore....

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2020. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff.

Edited by blcruising

Just now, blcruising said:

Agree. Until I received an email yesterday explaining that they were increasing DSC. No mention of the compensation portion here, only gratuitues. When you put the two together, not so clear anymore....

They say it on their website, why should they send you something everytime they raise the DSC.  All you have to do, if you want to know, is go to their website and pull up FAQ.

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

They say it on their website, why should they send you something everytime they raise the DSC.  All you have to do, if you want to know, is go to their website and pull up FAQ.

Not understanding what you are trying to say.....there is a stark contrast between what they state on their website (compensation) and what they say in the email they sent out (gratuity). Hence, the confusion about what it is.

Edited by blcruising

2 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Not understanding what you are trying to say.....there is a stark contrast between what they state on their website (compensation) and what they say in the email they sent out (gratuity). Hence, the confusion about what it is.

Unfortunately they use both words, gratuities and DSC, to mean the same thing, but I think you already know that.  

Have a great day.