Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

4 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I doubt anyone will be quarantined on board a ship anymore. That was a disaster that just increased everyone's chance of getting infected.  It had the opposite of its intended effect.  I think in the future ships will just be refused docking.  

Being quarantined was my biggest concern. But the chance of being turned away from my only port of choice (Bermuda 3 days) is also enough for me to rethink sinking however many $K's into a trip. To be turned away and have a 7 day cruise to nowhere, well, that's not for me either. Unless this thing is red bagged in the next 2 months, I'll be exercising my CFAR. To each his own. My loss is the consumers gain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rascalchu said:

We are on the March 22 cruise out of LA to Mexico on the Joy.  Somewhat concerned about the virus.  We’re young and healthy but have young kids as well so we’re not sure what to do.  

Did anyone cancel a recent cruise or are thinking about cancelling?  

If you’re worried about your kids you should research the effect of these types of viral epidemics. I’m not a doctor/scientist/etc but my understanding is that infection rate among children is lower than adults and even then they often don’t even have any symptoms. As others have said, the groups that are the most at risk are the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

Going on a cruise out of Tampa in 3.5 weeks.  Not cancelling since I don't want to lose 100 Percent of every thing.  Now if I get there, or before, and THEY cancel, well at least I'll get the cruise money back or a 100 Percent credit (which I'll happily use).  Worst case scenario, I spend a week or two in Tampa/Orlando/Miami.  Win Win

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, tomservo said:

If you’re worried about your kids you should research the effect of these types of viral epidemics. I’m not a doctor/scientist/etc but my understanding is that infection rate among children is lower than adults and even then they often don’t even have any symptoms. As others have said, the groups that are the most at risk are the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

The latest I saw was that it kills the elderly proportionately more, but the rate of hospitalizations is much higher in younger people than with the flu. Even children are higher.

Currently cruising on the Gem, so no. NCL is really pushing the "free money" Cruise Next deposits on this sailing. Inserts in the Freestyle Daily, separate notices placed on the bed at turndown. Perhaps future bookings really are down.

7 hours ago, NoobCroozer said:

Being quarantined was my biggest concern. But the chance of being turned away from my only port of choice (Bermuda 3 days) is also enough for me to rethink sinking however many $K's into a trip. To be turned away and have a 7 day cruise to nowhere, well, that's not for me either. Unless this thing is red bagged in the next 2 months, I'll be exercising my CFAR. To each his own. My loss is the consumers gain.

I am also from NY, how did you purchase CFAR? I was told by insurance companies NY doesn't allow, and also found this...

"Additionally, there’s bad news for residents of New York: You can’t buy CFAR travel insurance. The New York State Department of Financial Services, which regulates the insurance industry, does not deem CFAR to be actual insurance because it “allows the purchaser to control the event that would lead to payment.” Thus, the state does not permit the sale of that benefit. "

Last Thursday, we decided to cancel our Bliss cruise that leaves today 3/1.

We had the cancel for any reason insurance and made the decision to be better safe then sorry. If it wasn't for the insurance we would still be going but since we paid for it and had it in place it just seemed like a no brainer. We will rebook at a later time once things start to settle down with the Coronavirus. 

• Like 3

I have an Alaskan cruise in May and haven't cancelled it yet.  I'm taking a wait and see approach.  My big question is what are the cruise lines doing to ensure that as new crew members join the ship that they haven't been exposed to the Coronavirus.

Cruise2.thumb.jpg.72f9636e6bf2a07e737677cf31f5d721.jpg

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9

I have a Med cruise the end of April with mostly Italy ports.  I am hoping it gets cancelled or offered to reschedule for next year.   If I was going on a cruise to another location, I would go!  

It's one thing to get sick, but I'm mostly concerned about:  Ports denying access, attractions being closed, airline denying access home due to being in Italy, etc. I didn't spend all this money to possibly be on a ship for the entire cruise. 

JMHO

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chesneygirl said:

Last Thursday, we decided to cancel our Bliss cruise that leaves today 3/1.

We had the cancel for any reason insurance and made the decision to be better safe then sorry. If it wasn't for the insurance we would still be going but since we paid for it and had it in place it just seemed like a no brainer. We will rebook at a later time once things start to settle down with the Coronavirus. 

Smart move, no cruise or any other type of trip is worth the risk, not only getting sick but everything else that can happen if someone else gets sick

• Like 2

Booked on the Dawn to sail out of Venice on July 5th. The way things are now we will not be making final payment. Do not want to take the chance that we will be floating around for 11 days with no ports that will let use in or being quarantined upon our arrival home.

If we don't make final payment we can just look to cruise another part of the world!!!!!!!

My daughter is 2 years old and I am sorry but we dont take her on cruises and on long distance tours. Firstly its hard to travel with a kid of this age in general and second of all we are afraid that she can get sick on the way which is even worst..especially when you are far from home, in the ocean

• Like 1

I am one of those with a compromised immune system, so yes I would cancel if I felt there was a risk. My next cruise is Bermuda out of Boston at the end of May; I am already past final payment so I will wait until close to sail date to make the determination.

• Like 1

We Were booked on a B2B cruise Feb 28- March 27, 2021.......Singapore to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Tokyo......so yeah, we cancelled, now looking at Hawaii and Alaska. This was a bucket list cruise, but SE Asia isn't going anywhere and will still be there in 2022, 2023 etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Booboochase said:

I am also from NY, how did you purchase CFAR? I was told by insurance companies NY doesn't allow, and also found this...

"Additionally, there’s bad news for residents of New York: You can’t buy CFAR travel insurance. The New York State Department of Financial Services, which regulates the insurance industry, does not deem CFAR to be actual insurance because it “allows the purchaser to control the event that would lead to payment.” Thus, the state does not permit the sale of that benefit. "

I saw that, however (don’t know if I can name the company on the boards) a company that starts with a “T” and ends with an “x” assured me that they would cover me, even from New York for cfar. There was no problem entering my home state info, which was declined on all the other insurance sites. I also followed up with a phone call.

No problem naming insurance companies... only naming TAs is not permitted. 

As for cancelling, well, apparently some on the Dawn, Mar. 29 TPA to NYC, have already taken that step.  All suites were sold out about a week ago but yesterday noticed 2 suites, 1 Garden Villa and 1 SJ family suite, have become available. And talk about price drops, LOL, they're sinking fast.  Lot's of other cabins available too.  

Really great prices for an eleven day cruise. Just sayin'

😉