Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

25 minutes ago, pandi77 said:

We used our trip insurance and canceled our trip on the Grandeur of the Seas after hearing what could be happening there. 

Pence had a meeting with heads of the cruise industry today and Trump rescheduled his meeting in Atlanta with the CDC so I expect some decisions and announcements at some point in the near future. The new studies that show permanent fibrosis in “recovered” people is awful too and not like our normal flus we deal with. I hope they create a vaccine so we can treat this like the flu and move on!

I watched the CDC meeting for at least the last 20 or 30 minutes

As it says on the other thread the meeting with cruise heads scheduled for tomorrow

If I was working I might not go, but since I'm not, .. but sorry you had to cancel. Grandeur is a older ship, so pretty easily replaced hopefully. 

Yes let's hope for a vaccine 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've listened to both and they have actually also said they expect it to be similar to other viruses.

That being said I expect it to be back next fall/winter ...

True dat, both contradict each other. I heard one doctor say get a 4 month supply of stuff, the next says they are afraid of hoarding.

I'm banking on my april 26 cruise out of texas to be ok. I dont plan on cancelling, but i see carnival and princess giving obc to stay booked. Hope rcl does that. Lots of fear out there.

I got a notice from a friend of mine sent me this link:

http://*****/RCICrusingwithconfidence.   

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure what you are saying? Cant read the link, but the cruising with confidence is discussed in some detail in other threads. 

sorry I typed the whole thing in, but it took out some stuff.. It's about RC updating their cancel policy and giving future full cruise credits for people sailing before 7/31/20, as long as you cancel at least 48 hours in advance. But it doesn't say anything about OBC if you don't cancel.  We are booked on the 5/10 Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. I really don't want to cancel and our concern is also about our flights. Not sure if they will allow us to change without a fee.  Hoping and praying that this all calms down by then and that we get to go, and that there are other people on the ship..lol!!

17 minutes ago, pmck said:

sorry I typed the whole thing in, but it took out some stuff.. It's about RC updating their cancel policy and giving future full cruise credits for people sailing before 7/31/20, as long as you cancel at least 48 hours in advance. But it doesn't say anything about OBC if you don't cancel.  We are booked on the 5/10 Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. I really don't want to cancel and our concern is also about our flights. Not sure if they will allow us to change without a fee.  Hoping and praying that this all calms down by then and that we get to go, and that there are other people on the ship..lol!!

I just signed on and I’m sure I’m missing something here, but why has that RCL link above has been redacted? Looks like some new threads (one from @LauraS) so I will check those!

Extremely new interesting information / advice from the US government and health officials regarding cruising and the advisability of cruising by vulnerable populations (pointed and those with serious underlying conditions such as COPD and/or the elderly {definition may not be strict} as I heard it). I am at least glad they are being somewhat clear on it so people can make a fair assessment for themselves (I’m a throw caution to the wind type, but I fully understand many aren’t). 

Edited by AlohaLivin

3 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

21 people on the the Princess have tested positive so far. 19 crew and 2 passengers.

So did some of the crew members have it this whole time?

more than likely, since the incubation period is 2 weeks...

Just for the record I posted somewhere about the lack of testing and said maybe they dont have cars to get the tests to the ship... my sense of humor sorry. I see someone answered they have cars in calif from email notification.

Sorry for my humor.

I hope I'm right and as it gets warm by the end of april when I cruise the virus is more contained. It's hard not to worry a little since I'm a senior and my parents are elderly. Joking helps my worry. I have no underlying health issues but they do and they are dependent on me for getting them around,, shopping etc. So I dont want to expose them. But for myself, I need to have time away and not cancelling. Come on texas heat. Let's get out of flu, cold and hopefully virus season. 

Good luck all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pmck said:

Hoping and praying that this all calms down by then and that we get to go, and that there are other people on the ship..lol!!

We are booked for that same sailing 5/10/20 from San Juan and we will be onboard along with you....unless RCI themselves cancel...which I highly doubt.

Everyone just needs to chillax!

Flu/viruses don't survive in the heat anyhow 😎

On 3/2/2020 at 11:45 AM, pmck said:

You know the saying that says something about not worrying about things that you can't change?  Well, this is one of those I guess. Although another poster just said there are some cases turning up in the Caribbean (French side of St. Maarten and possibly Barbados) We will just have to wait to see. The decision may not be ours to make.  Fingers crossed, we are so looking forward to this cruise!!

Just to clarify that there are no cases in Barbados.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Booth44 said:

We are booked for that same sailing 5/10/20 from San Juan and we will be onboard along with you....unless RCI themselves cancel...which I highly doubt.

Sorry to burst your bubble

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/its-a-false-hope-coronavirus-will-disappear-in-the-summer-like-the-flu-who-says.html

Nope, not worried at all.  I am going to wash my hands frequently just like I do every flu season.  You all can cancel your cruises and stay home, more space for me!   Remember SARS, Zika, Ebola?  The media told us what a huge pandemic that was going to be too.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bajancruiser said:

Just to clarify that there are no cases in Barbados.  

Yes, I'm not sure who posted that, but I've been following along and thankfully none there!!

Considering that Royal is now allowing you to cancel your cruise without penalty - raises the question - how serious it is.? Have been following a thread where 2 passengers not travelling together both have symptoms of the flu, have had a visit with the ship's physician - given cold medication and were not advised to be quarantined in their cabin along with the other  people residing in their cabin.  Makes me wonder are they being careful enough, so that other passengers are not infected?

Worldometer.com has Princess Cruise ship listed among countries affected. Excellent reading. Knowledge is key. Epidemic is here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mine is why risk it.

Supposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall. Not booking any other cruises for a while. Thankful to be able to have enjoyed our cruise 14 nights recently and not sick. Remember the coughing in elevators and avoided the buffet.

Imagine the quarantine of 14 nights in cabin waiting for 5 hour food delivery. Watching news from our cabin about quarantine was enough for me.

11 hours ago, Booth44 said:

Your last statement about the heat appears to not be true. Coronavirus is occurring in locations that are currently hot. Also there are viruses that survive in the heat. Ebola is one example.

Edited by time4u2go

Royal is allowing passengers to cancel without penalty. We were scheduled to leave out of Puerto Rico April 2020 and just cancelled. It looks like it will get worst before it gets better and I am too scared to take a risk. The virus is community now. I know me....will be worried the entire time and not enjoy myself.

Everyone needs to make there own decision about cruising or not. I am glad RC is giving everyone a chance to make that decision.  My husband and I are canceling our cruise at the end of June because if it is weird and medical my husband gets it. He had viral encephalitis from shingles 15 years ago. He has had shingles about 20 times. Ha had prostate cancer 14 years ago.  A couple of years  ago we went on a cruise where the previous cruise had norivirus.  He got sick from the cleaning products RC used.  But RC was great and refunded the price of his cruise. 

Someone challenged me in a now closed thread about cruise ships being petri dishes in another thread.  A lot of people in close proximity for an extended period of time.  I actually agree with the part of that statement about other places being crowded; one does not negate the other.  There are lots of areas that can be looked at as good places for the spread of disease.

My observation is that fully half of all men do not wash their hands leaving the restroom,  Pretty easy to observe...some head to the sinks and wash; some head straight out.  I haven't done a scientific study, or course, but it would stand to reason that warnings to wash hands are necessary because many people don't so it.

I have one level of concern, others have higher or lower levels.  I don't think any of us have the desire to spread the virus and will follow common sense guidelines as the threat continues to be evaluated.  Those measures could be do more or do less, depending on a lot of things, not the least of which is a person's general health.  I do realize that by doing something where a lot of people gather could make me a carrier, or even a victim, but isn't that pretty much what happens every day with the flu, viruses of many kinds, common colds, etc.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Your last statement about the heat appears to not be true. Coronavirus is occurring in locations that are currently hot. Also there are viruses that survive in the heat. Ebola is one example.

I'm going to wait for the scientists to decide about if there is a season when it thrives more than others.

I think you can catch a summer cold? Just less likely.

Hey I'm still wondering if my anti bacterial soap works for this virus I'm bringing.. 

My husband has a very low immunity due to a stem cell transplant.  Before this coronavirus his doctor told us to go and enjoy.  She just told him to avoid the buffet.  Royal agreed to bring us our meals to the room without a service charge.  The food would be hot and all would know about his condition.  We planned to just enjoy the balcony and relax.  We are visiting with his doctor before we go.  She is running all new blood work and other tests.  If he is good we will still go as long as she agrees.  I figure if he can go to Wal Mart or a restaurant he can get this disease there too.  

We we have made no rush to judgment decisions.  We will see what his doctor says and make a decision then.  If we were scared then he would need to just settle in to his room, quit work and never go outside.  Maybe the world will look different in a few weeks.  If it spreads to the point he is not safe then the decision is made for us.  We cancel then look forward to the next one.

• Like 2