Corona Virus.. anyone worried??

pmck

Just now, Lady Hudson said:

FYI — Dr. Anthony Fauci, govt official, just said on Fox News Sunday “don’t get on a cruise ship”.  I believe he was talking about the elderly and those with underlying conditions. Have to go back and listen again to be sure that’s what he said exactly.  Supposed to be leaving on a trip next Sunday.  Katherine

I just sent this quote to someone. He was referring to those people. He said

"“When I say protect, I mean right now. Not wait until things get worse. Say no large crowds, no long trips. And above all, don't get on a cruise ship.”

14 minutes ago, jlabramo said:

I just sent this quote to someone. He was referring to those people. He said

"“When I say protect, I mean right now. Not wait until things get worse. Say no large crowds, no long trips. And above all, don't get on a cruise ship.”

Older people with no underlying health risk are more likely to have a mild case of this virus due to the fact that we've been exposed to viruses for a longer period of time, and had flu shots for upwards of 2 decades (my first one was 1995). We've had longer to build up immunities.

But, I'm not one to want to prove my theory.

Edited by pcur

21 minutes ago, pcur said:

Older people with no underlying health risk are more likely to have a mild case of this virus due to the fact that we've been exposed to viruses for a longer period of time, and had flu shots for upwards of 2 decades (my first one was 1995). We've had longer to build up immunities.

The problem is a mild case encountered by an "older" person be may passed on by that same individual to someone else and it in turn becomes lethal to the recipient.  

Edited by rolloman

32 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

FYI — Dr. Anthony Fauci, govt official, just said on Fox News Sunday “don’t get on a cruise ship”.  I believe he was talking about the elderly and those with underlying conditions. Have to go back and listen again to be sure that’s what he said exactly.  Supposed to be leaving on a trip next Sunday.  Katherine

BC's Minister of Health has also said everyone should consider cancelling their cruises.  We just came back from a B2B on the Allure. When speaking with a senior officer about this topic we agreed that the best thing to do is not panic and just wash your hands.  I still saw people leave the bathroom without do so or just running their hands under water.  

14 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Curious to know the age range of those who died in Italy.

This is from BBC

What is happening in Italy?

Officials announced the record daily death toll in a statement on Friday.

They said the number could not be officially confirmed until health officials had "established the actual cause of death".

The national health institute said the average age of those who have died was 81, with the majority suffering from underlying health problems. An estimated 72% of all those who have died were men.

According to government data, 4.25% of individuals confirmed to have the coronavirus in Italy have died, the highest rate in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I imagine older, given the country's demographic. But the area affected (Lombardy) is very wealthy. There are doctors quoting that emergency departments are being overrun by 200+ a day, above the usual amount.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mark_UK said:

I imagine older, given the country's demographic. But the area affected (Lombardy) is very wealthy. There are doctors quoting that emergency departments are being overrun by 200+ a day, above the usual amount.

what I find stunning is how

many are in intensive care, 650.

prayers up. 

37 minutes ago, pcur said:

Not sure if serious. 

This is an entirely baseless position. Older people have ALWAYS been more vulnerable to pretty much all communicable illnesses. 

That holds true with COVID-19 

cfad60ad-137d-4bac-91e1-d52ed161d135.png

3 hours ago, pcur said:

It won't.  We legitimately got down to our "minimal" supply of toilet paper, and went to Costco last Thursday, finding they had none.  OK, checked another Costco on Friday:  none, also.  I got up and got to Costco 10 minutes after they opened, and on the way to the back of the store, felt like I was in a salmon run with carts!!😄

People go into survival protective mode very easily in the US.  If they even think they are being deprived, they go bonkers.  It's the bottle water thing I don't get:  water supply is not affected.  My husband always said he wondered why people stocked up on water for emergency supplies, as most US households have a 50 gallon water heater.  Just turn off the pilot light, and you have room temperature water galore to put in the fridge.

I was watching many people yesterday with up to SIX huge packages of toilet paper in their carts:  that's 180 roles of tp!!!!

There are news articles and videos of people fighting over toilet paper in Austrailia.  One mother daughter team swept the shelves clean of toilet paper and then got attacked by other shoppers.  

Link to Daily Mail but many other sources on the web:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8087369/Mother-60-daughter-23-charged-affray-brawling-Woolworths-toilet-paper.html

6 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Many people (on the thus far 7 pages of responses) have pointed out that even in the unlikely event you get CV, in most cases you don't die...you recover just fine.

Well that's of course really good.......

Yet the thing I wonder re. whether to keep my cruise reservation or not is related to the quarantine possibility.

Some people have been on a cruise and not been able to dock on time. In those rare instances, there were multiple CV cases on those ships. Yet those examples are what....less than 1% of all sailings?

Even so I would like to avoid being on quarantine for 2 weeks in a Royal C stateroom/cabin!  2 weeks using that tiny bathroom? hmm. IDK

......or if CV is suspected yet not confirmed hypothetically we'd be asked to get off the boat and then have to be bused to a quarantine location and wait there for 2 weeks.

That's not likely but it IS possible.

This is what I'm weighing right now.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I'm weighing quarantine too but have until mid-April to make up my mind.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

IF you get quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks, do you get points? 

This is somewhat uncharted territory for RCI, however, on other sailings where the cruise was extended (due to storm, etc) most got the extra days' points.

US STATE DEPARTMENT just posted:

U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking.  

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

There are news articles and videos of people fighting over toilet paper in Austrailia.  One mother daughter team swept the shelves clean of toilet paper and then got attacked by other shoppers.  

Link to Daily Mail but many other sources on the web:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8087369/Mother-60-daughter-23-charged-affray-brawling-Woolworths-toilet-paper.html

So stupid. The virus is not gastrol

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I actually heard the age ranges and was surprising, though I didnt memorize them

Like the average age who got it was really high.. like 70, average death age in the 80s

I'm sure if you google it its posted. But very high age averages. No one under age 9.

Welp, this is disconcerting....State department is advising against getting on cruises. Wonder what the cruise industry response will be.

This is the first step in saying if theres a problem on your cruise dont be surprised if we (US Gov) dont intervene....

(still hoping things calm down or my trip to london/amsterdam is going to tragic in that it wont happen.  This is the first time i have started to worry)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

1 hour ago, jknc said:

US STATE DEPARTMENT just posted:

U.S. citizens, especially with underlying conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of COVID19 on cruises. Many countries have implemented screening procedures, denied port entry rights to ships and prevented disembarking.  

Here’s the link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

Can’t be good news for cruise lines!

Edited by Mark_UK

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I actually heard the age ranges and was surprising, though I didnt memorize them

Like the average age who got it was really high.. like 70, average death age in the 80s

I'm sure if you google it its posted. But very high age averages. No one under age 9.

Imagine others, younger have had it, didnt realize it was Corona and got over it

Dont be surprised when this is deleted. It says above please post to virus thread anything virus related, lol

Yes it's been posted and is being discussed on the virus thread. Obviously they dont want the bother to figure out how to handle any more ships where people got the virus.

I see you are new. Welcome to cc

Edited by firefly333