Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

This may be the event that brings about the stand-down for cruises in the US...and the guaranteed quarantine for anyone flying back to the US from cruises (or getting off current cruises)...exposures are just too rapid and widespread across the country to continually try to contain week after week...

EDIT TO ADD: And the population of cruises is one where they are at most risk, and thus will suck up the most medical resources...it can't keep going or our medical will be overwhelmed in days or weeks (vs having a shot at months)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 10

Just now, glam mistress said:

So should we be worried about Hawaii? How do you even contact trace such a place? There is no way to know where all those people went when they got off in port, went exploring and then came back aboard. 

You will most likely hear of new cases in Hawaii and Mexico soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

but tracking down the strangers would be impossible. No one is going to remember every unknown person they've encountered in that time.

Which is why the current restrictions now placed on all boarding cruise pax on most lines are useless. How can you possibly say, with any certainty, that you haven’t been in contact with someone with the virus.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

So should we be worried about Hawaii? How do you even contact trace such a place? There is no way to know where all those people went when they got off in port, went exploring and then came back aboard. 

sure there will be cases in hawaii.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

This may be the event that has the stand-down for cruises in the US...and the guaranteed quarantine for anyone flying back to the US from cruises...exposures are just to rapid and widespread across the country to continually try to contain week after week...

And those TAs look even more unlikely now.

• Like 2

Hear the president say if it were up to him everyone would quarantine on the ship. So is it up to him? Who decides? I felt like the seniors on the Diamond were sitting ducks just waiting to get infected by infected crew serving food. The way this quarantine is handled will determine if we cruise in May. So glad Royal has the 48 hour cancellation policy. I hope this virus is all sorted out before Dec 2021 which us when the FCC will expire. Hope all the best for those on the Grand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

If cases are reported in Mexico, Mexico could start denying entry to cruise ships which would make Hawaii cruises difficult or impossible because there would be no foreign port to call on before returning to US.

Not just Mexico. The arrival of over 2000+ potentially infected passengers could completely swamp any small location's medical services if the virus spread to the locals. They have to protect their own people. And it shows that any pre boarding health check is utterly useless. Just an awful time for the cruise industry as a business. 

Im thinking my FCC will run out before I can use it which is nothing in the overall scheme of this awful situation. I'm almost happy to donate it if it keeps the business going. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

If cases are reported in Mexico, Mexico could start denying entry to cruise ships which would make Hawaii cruises difficult or impossible because there would be no foreign port to call on before returning to US.

Possibly the responsible federal agency, which I suppose is in the Department of Transportation, could grant a temporary exemption.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Hear the president say if it were up to him everyone would quarantine on the ship. So is it up to him? Who decides? I felt like the seniors on the Diamond were sitting ducks just waiting to get infected by infected crew serving food. The way this quarantine is handled will determine if we cruise in May. So glad Royal has the 48 hour cancellation policy. I hope this virus is all sorted out before Dec 2021 which us when the FCC will expire. Hope all the best for those on the Grand.

It's probably too late to put in safety procedures to prevent passage of the virus with that many positives among the crew.

I'm sure they will undertake them, but I would expect we could be looking at a 3-4 week quarantine for everyone from today, b/c there will need to be certainty (and 2 weeks wasn't enough in Japan)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyguyjake said:

Pence & experts are basically telling ALL elderly and those especially with serious underlying health conditions.

DO NOT TRAVEL. Also avoid crowded environments.

What would be considered elderly? 70+?  Our (Aus) Govt would issue warnings based on geography so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Buddy604 said:

If the CCL price drops a bit more I may try snagging 100 shares for the Shareholder OBC benefit.

We sold ours a few years ago when we moved to buy our new house since we weren't cruising much back then and got double what we'd paid....now we are back into it again so I'm watching share prices.

Good to see you 😉

Going by hospitalization/morbidity stats, 60+ would be elderly...and serious conditions would include asthma, allergies, hypertension, diabetes, former/current smoker, and obesity (on top of what we normally consider "serious", like cancer, heart disease, copd, etc)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1