Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

32 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Based on the Roll Call posts, having everyone order room service for dinner went about as well as you would expect. People were waiting 3+ hours to get their food. Some people gave up and just went to bed hungry.

How do I read roll call posts from the Grand?

10 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

Hard to keep track - I guess these are new cases from the Grand.

I wish they were tabulating the cases from the past sailing of the Grand.  Living in San Francisco, I would really like to know what the numbers look like.  So far, it seems like 2 in Placer, 2 in Santa Clara, 2 in Toronto, 1 in Alberta, and now these 2 new ones in Contra Costa.  I have yet to find a single source so I've been trying to keep track on my own.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Not quite. So far several others from that cruise have been confirmed to have the virus. So that means more than one person spreading it.

Also, no idea when or where those people first contracted the virus. Was it before they got omn the ship? Was it in a port in Mexico? Was it on the ship from an unidentified positive person?

One single passenger led to the outbreak I said. I didnt say that single passenger infected all 700 people. He brought it on the ship and it led to 700 people being infected.

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

Same person as mentioned in this article maybe? If so it sounds like he was also on the Grand

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/colorado-substitute-teacher-self-quarantines-after-returning-from-cruise-with-coronavirus-case

It does sound like he was on the Grand but it is not the positive second case. The Colorado positive second case is an older woman whereas the substitute teacher is a younger man and there has been no report he has actually gotten sick.

Edited by AWorldCruise4Me
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, christieSF said:

I wish they were tabulating the cases from the past sailing of the Grand.  Living in San Francisco, I would really like to know what the numbers look like.  So far, it seems like 2 in Placer, 2 in Santa Clara, 2 in Toronto, 1 in Alberta, and now these 2 new ones in Contra Costa.  I have yet to find a single source so I've been trying to keep track on my own.  

There is a presumptive case in Washoe County Nevada(Reno)

2 minutes ago, cruiseanon32 said:

I would not be surprised if they announce the sample test results from the Grand Princess after 1 PM Pacific so as not to spook the financial markets

-620 , but yeah - what a ride - buy the dips !!

• Like 1

Well this is a little concerning:

"Six U.S. states — Alabama, Maine, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming — currently have no labs with the verified ability to run COVID-19 diagnostic tests, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Thursday afternoon."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/06/812833596/coronavirus-14-deaths-now-in-u-s-new-cases-in-maryland-colorado

So I guess if you are from one of these states and want to be tested you are out of luck.

Edited by AWorldCruise4Me

Just now, maizer said:

Honestly, where would the crew get masks? They're sold out everywhere in the entire world.

Cruise ships should have stocked up on them a month ago when this began. I am sure at that time they could have got them. This is not the first go round on this.

• Like 2

I would like to make sure everyone has seen the new guideline......

Effective Immediately: Do not post about Coronavirus on Roll Calls if you aren't sailing on that cruise!!

Everyone has the ability to read the roll call but please do not post on there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

sorry is this a roll call? if so sorry for posting...did not realize

It's to keep all the know-it-alls who have nothing better to do than Monday Morning Quarterbacking from continuously polluting this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, luckyinpa said:

is it out of statistical curiosity or so you can take certain actions. 

Statistical curiosity.  I'm a numbers person.  Also, I have two daughters in two schools that play on three sports teams between them and it would be nice to have an idea if everything is going to get cancelled!

Our cruise isn't until July and we're still counting on going on it.

28 minutes ago, cruiseanon32 said:

I would not be surprised if they announce the sample test results from the Grand Princess after 1 PM Pacific so as not to spook the financial markets

Looking more and more likely.  They must have had the results early this morning PST, no reason to delay announcing if everyone was negative.  Drawing up a response plan for another Diamond Princess takes a little longer.

Since there's now "community spread" of the virus in several US cities, any cruise ship risks having cases emerge mid-voyage.  Grand Princess will no doubt spark many changes to the cruise industry starting this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dougypk said:

Since there's now "community spread" of the virus in several US cities, any cruise ship risks having cases emerge mid-voyage.  Grand Princess will no doubt spark many changes to the cruise industry starting this weekend.

Yes, there are already changes. Royal announced today cancellation within 48 hours of sailing with 100% FCC

I saw this after the posting of folks in Maryland testing positive 

http://abc3340.com/news/nation-world/82-people-test-positive-for-the-flu-on-royal-caribbean-cruise-back-to-baltimore-03-02-2020"

Officials say the CDC did not request coronavirus tests for any of the cases. None of the patients had passed through regions of impact, or been exposed to anyone in the regions of impact, within two weeks of symptom onset."

Did anybody on the Grand sailing come from a region of impact...I thought it was reported that they didn't so why is princess in the news yet nothing about Royal Caribbean? People have stated that princess should have done more given the nature of what is going on....why even the CDC didn't do anything about the royal Caribbean ship...so how could princess have done anything differently?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Did anybody on the Grand sailing come from a region of impact...I thought it was reported that they didn't so why is princess in the news yet nothing about Royal Caribbean? People have stated that princess should have done more given the nature of what is going on....why even the CDC didn't do anything about the royal Caribbean ship...so how could princess have done anything differently?

I'm sure it's because someone who had been on the Grand the cruise before the current one had died from coronavirus.  

The CDC has only been testing people who have symptoms and have been in affected areas or have been in contact with a person known to have it.  Is that enough testing?  Obviously not.  But it explains why Grand was flagged and not Grandeur.

Edited by CruisinCrow