Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

9 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

If cases are reported in Mexico, Mexico could start denying entry to cruise ships which would make Hawaii cruises difficult or impossible because there would be no foreign port to call on before returning to US.

I was in a Puerto Vallarta resort during most of February.  I chatted with two women from a cruise ship, who had bought a day pass....who knows they might have been from the Grand. After this, I can’t see these excursions being sold by the resort.

During  the last three days of our stay, I noticed hand alcohol sanitizer bottles showing up all over...at the pool towel desk, at reception and at the bellhop desk.  They were not there earlier. 

16 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Type "Grand Princess" into Google and you will get many links.  Here is one:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/21-people-grand-princess-cruise-ship-test-positive-coronavirus-pence-n1151936

Another article https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/06/812833596/coronavirus-14-deaths-now-in-u-s-new-cases-in-maryland-colorado

It mentions that the Grand Princess will be brought into a non-commercial dock. Does that imply a Navy or Coast Guard base on the west coast?

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Regarding what they are showing on the TV on the Grand, just saw someone post this so apparently they didn't shut off all the news stations onboard.

image.png.7f4227c5962b04242c58d6e9f1b50203.png

Interesting. My parents TV went out right before press conference. No channels work. 

37 minutes ago, glam mistress said:

Pence just said the crew will quarantine on the ship... 

Crew AND passengers.  Probably 28 day quarantine on ship. . Those tested positive will go to a military base(s).

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Another article https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/06/812833596/coronavirus-14-deaths-now-in-u-s-new-cases-in-maryland-colorado

It mentions that the Grand Princess will be brought into a non-commercial dock. Does that imply a Navy or Coast Guard base on the west coast?

Not an expert but I would assume Navy Base Ventura County in Port Hueneme.  Ship is heading in that direction now.

4 hours ago, christieSF said:

I wish they were tabulating the cases from the past sailing of the Grand.  Living in San Francisco, I would really like to know what the numbers look like.  So far, it seems like 2 in Placer, 2 in Santa Clara, 2 in Toronto, 1 in Alberta, and now these 2 new ones in Contra Costa.  I have yet to find a single source so I've been trying to keep track on my own.  

I tried to, but am starting to lose track.  Your list is good, but add 2 from Sonoma co., 1 from Reno NV, and 1 from Colorado.  These are confirmed from the Grand.  Pending are 3 from New Hampshire (or Maine, can’t recall) who disembarked from a unnamed cruise ship around Feb20 .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

I was in a Puerto Vallarta resort during most of February.  I chatted with two women from a cruise ship, who had bought a day pass....who knows they might have been from the Grand. After this, I can’t see these excursions being sold by the resort.

During  the last three days of our stay, I noticed hand alcohol sanitizer bottles showing up all over...at the pool towel desk, at reception and at the bellhop desk.  They were not there earlier. 

Sanitation goes only so far, clean/sanitized really means nothing if you touch anything touched by someone else who is a carrier and has touched their eyes/nose or spread the germs from their breath to some surface you touch after sanitizing.

56 minutes ago, villauk said:

And those TAs look even more unlikely now.

That’s what I’m thinking, too. With Princess’ announcement that the Mediterranean cruises on the Crown Princess will have itinerary changes to be announced next week, and the Coronavirus situation in Italy, Princess may want to pull the Crown Princess from the Mediterranean to cruise safer waters. We’ll have to wait until next week to find out, but at least we have some certainty now that changes will be made. As sad as that is, it’s the not knowing whether changes will be made that was so unsettling. 

12 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Not an expert but I would assume Navy Base Ventura County in Port Hueneme.  Ship is heading in that direction now.

The Government has set up a quarantine center at the Point Mugu location of Navy Base Ventura County.  Several people who arrived at LAX were sent there.   

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2020/02/28/coronavirus-california-ventura-county-point-mugu/4907001002/

• Thanks 1

Everybody is focused on the current cruise, passengers and crew infected, but I saw that a 6th passenger from the prior CA-Mexico cruise has tested, expect many more with time 😞

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

The Government has set up a quarantine center at the Point Mugu location of Navy Base Ventura County.  Several people who arrived at LAX were sent there.   

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/local/2020/02/28/coronavirus-california-ventura-county-point-mugu/4907001002/

That should confirm it.  Not many locations that are non commercial, have a big enough dock, and have a quarantine center.

Marc

• Like 1

Reported via ABC Chicago.

A new case of COVID-19 in the city of Chicago. A woman in her 50s, hospitalized, and had recently disembarked the Grand Princess. She got off Feb 21st.

Chicago's mayor says a "presumptive positive" COVID-19 patient is a Special-Ed classroom assistant at Vaughn Occupational High School in Portage Park. She went back to work after returning from a cruise on the Grand Princess. The school will be closed next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 3

Just reported in our  Ventura County news that a local resident who was on the previous Grand sailing has tested positive - first person here in this County. The spouse is being tested as well as two other local residents who were also on that sailing so it could end up being more. The count from the prior cruise just keeps going up it appears.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Just reported in our  Ventura County news that a local resident who was on the previous Grand sailing has tested positive - first person here in this County. The spouse is being tested as well as two other local residents who were also on that sailing so it could end up being more. The count from the prior cruise just keeps going up it appears.

What concerns me is the fact there could be 2500 walking time bombs across the USA and some other countries  who disembarked the previous Grand Princess cruise.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

It's all about luck. If you have it and are off the ship, you can self quarantine. If you are on the ship you have to stay for who knows how long. I hope they let those who drove to the port and have no symptoms, mild symptoms, or test negative to quarantine at home. 

17 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

That should confirm it.  Not many locations that are non commercial, have a big enough dock, and have a quarantine center.

Marc

How far is Point Mugu from San Francisco? 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What concerns me is the fact there could be 2500 walking time bombs across the USA and some other countries  who disembarked the previous Grand Princess cruise.

What's even worse is that this same scenario will likely repeat dozens of times as an infected person can pass temp checks, board ship, pass it around, and then everyone departs and spreads it back to local communities. 

• Like 2