Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

I have to say that I think other cruise lines have been handling this situation much better. Royal Caribbean who is the worst at canceling cruises in favor of charters and  in many cases not matching price for the booking they moved, has really stepped up in this situation. I haven't sailed Princess in a while but that has to do with itinerary and the fact that I can sail a longer itinerary in a balcony by sailing out of NY and not having to fly.

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

Now would be a great time for Princess to show leadership and generate some positive headlines and goodwill with its customers. Why not allow a few cancellations and take they money from the marketing budget.  Frankly aggressive marketing now would appear tone  deaf.  So with the money they save by stepping back from marketing, they can afford to behave in a way that would appear compassionate but actually be financed astute.  There is no reason why the industry cannot survive and thrive in the long run.  I believe now is the time to at least feign  some compassion, but maybe I’m wrong.

It's very easy to spend other people's money.  You have no idea the cost of the 'few cancellations' and very little insight into the marketing budget.   Compassion is cheap when it's not your money.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My issue with the OP is that they think its appropriate for the cruise line to assume all the risk.  They are as much a victim of the current situation as the OP.   While asking the cruise line to evaluate the risk of every customer and help only those they deem high risk sounds nice, it is an absurd policy.

Hank

• Like 1

So, what happens if you show up to the ship and fill out your questionnaire stating that you have been around someone suspected of having the virus?  Do they keep you off the ship and refund your money?  I'm just curious since so many are wanting to cancel and losing their money.  Can't they just get to the ship and cough or something?  They may lose airfare, but not the cruise cost. If they made you get on the cruise and you actually did get sick and caused issues, they would be in a lot of trouble with the press!  No one want's bad publicity!

The question is will Princess work with people going forward to give them the ability to use funds from a current cruise date to a future cruise date  or keep up their penalties ? 

We feel that it is in every ones best interest if ALL the cruise lines  would amend their cruise contracts during this world wide  corona virus   emergency time period   . The cruise lines then do not need to refund  partial funds back & they can work on the money at hand & the cruise passenger gets a future cruise of equal value & does not loose any of their money

What do you feel is the correct thing that the cruise lines should  do  during this  medical crisis ?

• Like 4

On 2/29/2020 at 1:52 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Because we  are very high risk to the corona virus . We are in our 80s &  have underlying medical conditions we had to cancel ( 2) B2B  ,7 night cruises  sailing in April . I askedPrincess  if we could   move the funds to a future cruise date  .  We got a negative reply & had to pay almost $1300 in cancellation fees . 

We would gladly take cruises when there was not such a great risk   on a heavily populated Royal Princess (3600 plus crew ) .If just one person brought the virus on board the same problem as  on the  Diamond Princess would occur  

In fact already there is a case of unknown corona virus in northern California where one of the 2 cruises is headed  & now the state & federal ,CDC  must follow up on 8400 potential  corona virus  people .If any one of these were to board the ship;as a example  ,there would be a serious outbreak  & the prospect for another Diamond Princess   high illness rates 

My question is should Princess   waive cancellation fees to people who are of high risk & wish to postpone their funds toward a future cruise & gain good will  during  this  pandemic  ?

No sympathy here either.  If you are at such risk why didn’t you buy insurance?  Princess Cruises is a business like anything else.  They offer you protection but if you don’t take their offer they certainly are not obligated to do anything else.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Didn't you just ask a similar question on another thread you started?

I think if Princess cancels certain cruises and refunds the customer thats great.

But to expect them to bail out passengers because they didn't buy insurance on just any cruise due to fears? No.

yes, 'does princess have a heart thread' same old, same old .. maybe threads will be combined

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

So, what happens if you show up to the ship and fill out your questionnaire stating that you have been around someone suspected of having the virus?  Do they keep you off the ship and refund your money?  I'm just curious since so many are wanting to cancel and losing their money.  Can't they just get to the ship and cough or something?  They may lose airfare, but not the cruise cost. If they made you get on the cruise and you actually did get sick and caused issues, they would be in a lot of trouble with the press!  No one want's bad publicity!

We are way past bad publicity at this point. Travel warnings have been posted. There is no way of knowing if the passenger contracted the virus at home, on the flight or on the cruise. If anyone still wishes to travel it's at their own risk. The cruise lines will cancel as they see fit. None of us here are new to cruising or the cruise contracts and the few who are upset with the decisions of any cruise line will either stop cruising or examine insurance policies more closely.  I for one will be researching the insurance board the next time I book a cruise to see what coverage that I really need.  I don't have anything booked at this time so I'm not at a loss. I do have other travel plans in June and hope they will pan out.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 11:11 PM, KruzPrincess said:

I don’t want to sound insensitive, but this is why people buy cancel for any reason insurance. You never know what will happen. I spend a lot of money on insurance just in case something unexpected happens. These cruise lines are currently losing money hand over fist and I don’t think I can blame them for holding people to the contract they agreed to. If you’re in your 80’s and not in great health, you should have bought insurance. 

We had insurance , It does not cover pandemics or corona   virus . This is recent exclusion . Cancel for any reason insurance  covers only 75% of the cost of a cruise . Not a good thing  or outcome 

Perhaps the cruise lines could defer peoples monies to a future cruise . They keep the money to work with & the people do not loose their money .That imo is a win win solution 

The real problem is will the cruise lines survive if this pandemic lasts too long . There is mounting evidence that it is now spreading quickly across the USA

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That’s because the page you linked to is not an insurance DOC page; it’s more of an advertisement page for insurance.  Here is the actual link, please note you must further select your state of residence as each state has slightly different legal limits.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Plt_Landing.html

The first paragraph on the link states

Any Reason Cruise Credits

Reimbursement provided in the form of future travel credits if cancellation reason doesn't qualify for a cash refund
100% of
cruise penalty
Edited by cherylandtk

3 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

That’s because the page you linked to is not an insurance DOC page; it’s more of an advertisement page for insurance.  Here is the actual link, please note you must further select you state of residence as each state has slightly different legal limits.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Plt_Landing.html

The first paragraph on the link states

Any Reason Cruise Credits

Reimbursement provided in the form of future travel credits if cancellation reason doesn't qualify for a cash refund
100% of
cruise penalty

That insurance currently covers penalties . The question  begs will they change the policy to exclude pandemics or epidemics . 

Quite weak though on the medical & medical evacuation