Will Princess Work with People

mcrcruiser

Right now - this is immediately affecting a small percentage of cruisers who have cruises booked past final payment. So those cruising in the next 75 days (approx). Those who have cruises booked farther out have the opportunity to cancel.

I think this is also the main difference in some opinions on this board. Those who don't have cruises booked or that are booked farther out (before final payment) are not as worried and can easily say "buy insurance" or "you accepted the cruise contract". Or whatever.

I am one who is in 75% penalty right now. I did book Cancel for Any Reason insurance and am still uncertain. I feel for those who did not book Cancel for Any Reason and fully booked insurance to cover medical conditions. They thought they were covered. We are in a new crisis right now that most did not predict.

Please be kind to those who did due diligence and did buy what they thought was adequate insurance but are now worried as they can't walk away from their cruise easily. They thought they were covered.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Magellan321 said:

Hopefully you will never need to use the insurance! Just pay close attention to the fare you book under and all is well. Also, remember if you believe the claim is excluded under the regular portion of the insurance(like this lovely virus).... look for the cancel for any reason box and it skips the submit paperwork and the sometimes few weeks

wait for review.

Good to know ...thank you!!  While I don't think I would cancel over the virus (I don't travel to the places that are currently risky), it's good to know for canceling due to unforeseen circumstances in the future.  

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The problem is that you are living in a different world back in the day where customer satisfaction was important and it was a lot simpler to satisfy a customer.  Fast forward 50 years. We live in a world that isn't brand loyal and litigation has replaced customer service. You agreed to the cruise contract. They are honoring the contract by not refunding you the money. If they refund you they would have to refund every one in the same situation. Word would spread through social media that Princess is refunding cruise fares and the phones will be blowing up with every one trying to get the same deal.  There is no win for the cruise line. To add the next time it happens the same people will be expecting the same exception. The only person angry here is you. There is no loose to anyone reading this thread and I wouldn't book another cruise with Princess based on how they handled your situation. 

It wasn't a refund we were asking for .It was a deferment  for a future cruise . Now that Princess has charged cancellation fees they must now refund the non cancellation fees which is also a lot of money . My point was instead of placing the penalty under these very rare conditions why not work with people  deferring the cruise money to a later date .Not only would they have had 100% of our money to work on while this transpired ;but ,they gain  in the long run .  By cancelling both Princess cruises & us loose . This is my point 

We also had trip cancellation & trip interruption insurance . however ,pandemics & this corona virus are not covered . If a person has Cancel for any Reason insurance they would only get back 75%  ;which is still a loss 

The bottom line  Imo is when individuals or companies   make people pay  during a time of national emergency ,it soon will NOT be forgotten or forgiven 

• Like 4

I think that if a lot of these travel companies hope to survive this crisis -- or another like it -- they are going to really have to rethink cancellation policies.  People cannot be required to board a ship ill because they will lose their money, or be forced to travel as a high-risk person.

I just stayed at a Disney hotel with a very bad upper respiratory bug because they have a five-day cancellation and I would have lost over $800 had I cancelled last minute.  I am sure I spread the bug to others.   

These tourist accommodations that hope to entice thousands of people to live and play amongst one another are simply going to have to be more flexible, or many customers will simply opt out forever.

To the OP  :

From reading this thread , it appears to me that not only doesn't Princess have a heart , but many of its fans are missing one too.

I also think Princess is lacking a brain on this one too .  If they had the courage  to give refunds or at least full future credits in situations like this they would have a lot more loyal fans . 

Even the "cancel for any reason " insurances seem to have loopholes . How sad .  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, FrankNJ said:

To the OP  :

From reading this thread , it appears to me that not only doesn't Princess have a heart , but many of its fans are missing one too.

I also think Princess is lacking a brain on this one too .  If they had the courage  to give refunds or at least full future credits in situations like this they would have a lot more loyal fans . 

Even the "cancel for any reason " insurances seem to have loopholes . How sad .  

LOL. Agree 100%

I have never understood the amount of people who respond to these types of posts with a heartless, "its all your fault, you should have bought insurance." Yeah, sure ok.   That might be true but why not have some empathy.  This is certainly an unusual situation.  To the OP: I agree.  It would be nice if Princess could have some consideration.  They are a for-profit entity but a goodwill gesture like that could payoff in increased customer appreciation and loyalty.  I hope you are able to figure out a good resolution.  Good luck!

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I doubt that this will change even 2.76% of the "loyalty" of Princess cruisers

and that 2.76% will be easily replaced by the new blue cards who spend more and suck up no loyalty benefits ...

After reading the many, many, many, threads on the decline of the MDR,  lack of dress code standards, loss of organized bridge tournaments, smaller or the elimination of the library, small balconies, elimination of the full promenade deck, the privacy issue of the medallion and the removal of the club chair (did I miss any?) this situation will have no effect on future bookings.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not just Princess that has contracts with clauses about cancellation refunds.  I have a co-worker whose sister had cancer and took a turn for the worse and passed away the day before his cruise was due to leave.  He did not take out the recommended insurance and he lost the entire fares for his whole family.  No, it wasn't Princess and we all felt the other cruise line didn't have a heart.  I was scheduled to go on a Med cruise with a good friend who was diagnosed with a terminal case of cancer just prior to going on the cruise.  His doctor wanted to start aggressive treatments right away so he had to cancel the cruise.  Because he was a frequent world traveler, he had insurance.  The cruise line would not refund the money he paid for that cruise but his widow did get paid by his insurance.  Again that was yet a different cruise line.

Both of these situations may make the cruise lines seem heartless and maybe they are but this thread is about people who have their health and are looking for free insurance because this time it is all about them and they aren't even sick or dying.  I'm not trying to be heartless here but I do want to put this all into perspective.  Situations develop that do or may adversely affect all of us and that's why we purchase insurance.  By the way my co-worker who tragically lost his sister does still cruise and he advises anybody who cruises to take out the maximum insurance.  That was how I learned his story.

We all should lighten up on the people who didn't purchase the insurance necessary to cover this and those people should lighten up on those giving the advice about the need for comprehensive insurance coverage.  Just my two cents...

39 minutes ago, 2ferfun said:

LOL. Agree 100%

I have never understood the amount of people who respond to these types of posts with a heartless, "its all your fault, you should have bought insurance." Yeah, sure ok.   That might be true but why not have some empathy.  This is certainly an unusual situation.  To the OP: I agree.  It would be nice if Princess could have some consideration.  They are a for-profit entity but a goodwill gesture like that could payoff in increased customer appreciation and loyalty.  I hope you are able to figure out a good resolution.  Good luck!

Sorry, but it is true that elderly people should not cruise without insurance. It many be an abrupt answer but still true never the less. There more prone to have things happen & should be more prepared at their age for that possibility. 

I cruise quite often & don't buy full coverage & if & when the day comes that things go downhill, I'm willing to accept the consequences and not expect Princess to reimburse me for lack of foresight. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

every single cruiser on Princess that is in the USA , makes the financial decision to either take and pay for the CFAR insurance or roll the dice and decline 

EOD

You book cruise out of Florida only and can drive to port. Your risk of losing money is far less than those who have to also book air and go places other than the Caribbean. If I was only going to lose a 5 night cruise, I might have a similar attitude as you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coral said:

You book cruise out of Florida only and can drive to port. Your risk of losing money is far less than those who have to also book air and go places other than the Caribbean. If I was only going to lose a 5 night cruise, I might have a similar attitude as you.

as stated, it applies to all USA cruisers regardless of where they live and where they cruise, drive, fly, or walk to the port

don't make this personal to me, just because you don't cruise the Caribbean , live in middle America and have to fly for every cruise

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

as stated, it applies to all USA cruisers regardless of where they live and where they cruise, drive, fly, or walk to the port

don't make this personal to me, just because you don't cruise the Caribbean , live in middle America and have to fly for every cruise

What I am saying is you have a less of a financial risk when you travel. 

I agree that everyone can buy Princess insurance. I think it is crappy insurance but probably decent enough for a 5 night cruise to Caribbean/Bahamas.

Edited by Coral

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

I agree that everyone can buy Princess insurance. I think it is crappy insurance but probably decent enough for a 5 night cruise.

yet you stated you just bought it for the CFAR feature on one of your fab cruises that you felt the need to double insure

EOD

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I agree that everyone can buy Princess insurance. I think it is crappy insurance but probably decent enough for a 5 night cruise.

It really isn't 'crappy' insurance. Take it from someone who has used it.

• Like 5

Just now, weedpindle said:

It really isn't 'crappy' insurance. Take it from someone who has used it.

It has a $10,000 and $20,000 limit. I have spent a weekend in a hospital and spent more than that in 2 days. If something serious happens to someone, it probably will not financially cover the illness/accident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ferfun said:

LOL. Agree 100%

It's a business with stockholders who expect the company to conduct business in a manner to make a profit.  Sorry, but goodwill makes no money. It will not generate any more profits, none.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yet you stated you just bought it for the CFAR feature on one of your fab cruises that you felt the need to double insure

EOD

I did buy it but not for this reason as Coronavirus was not a topic when I booked the cruise. I would never count on it for medical coverage.

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

I did buy it but not for this reason as Coronavirus was not a topic when I booked the cruise. I would never count on it for medical coverage.

Yes, the amount of medical coverage is not great ... but, it is good enough for the minor stuff.  I have a PPO that covers me outside the country ... I just have to pay it and I can send in a claim for whatever isn't covered by Princess's policy .... not fully, but the coverage extends to what I would be covered for in the US.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, the amount of medical coverage is not great ... but, it is good enough for the minor stuff.  I have a PPO that covers me outside the country ... I just have to pay it and I can send in a claim for whatever isn't covered by Princess's policy .... not fully, but the coverage extends to what I would be covered for in the US.  

My coverage outside of the US is spotty. There is some coverage at some hospitals but when I looked it up for some other trips I have been on - it wasn't that wide spread. 

One just never knows if it is going to be a minor or major medical issue, unfortunately.

Just now, Coral said:

My coverage outside of the US is spotty. There is some coverage at some hospitals but when I looked it up for some other trips I have been on - it wasn't that wide spread. 

One just never knows if it is going to be a minor or major medical issue, unfortunately.

I hear you!  I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of trip insurance over the years ... enough so, that when I wanted to save a little on it, I checked out my medical coverage here at home.  

I still think I need more for emergency evacuation, even though most of the cruising we do now days is pretty close to home.  I warn people that go with us that they need to at least look into it.  For some reason, they think they are bullet proof ... 'what could possibly happen?' they ask.  Rolling my eyes ... 

While we were onboard last october, there was a woman that feel in the bathroom and konked her head on the commode.  Well, she had a subdural hematoma and had to be airlifted off the ship ..... 'That's what could happen, I told my travel mates'.  I know I have some coverage but am looking into purchasing an annual policy to go along with my Princess Vacation Protection and my medical coverage I already have.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I still think I need more for emergency evacuation, even though most of the cruising we do now days is pretty close to home.  I warn people that go with us that they need to at least look into it.  For some reason, they think they are bullet proof ... 'what could possibly happen?' they ask. 

Due to a unique situation - I have over-insured previously. I am not even sure if one can rely on evacuation insurance anymore (generally you can). I also buy Medjet Assist and they are currently restricting flights out of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. They also add the comment that additional countries maybe restricted in the future. 

I really do try to cover my basis. 

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with heart.  Princess is a business that is trying to keep the cost of cruises affordable.  If they let people cancel up until the last minute and gave them a full refund, the cost of the cruises would increase significantly which would in turn result in fewer passengers cruising.  We never cruise without insurance but are grateful that we have never had to use it.

• Like 2