Why the exit fee?

Our friends were on RCL cruise this week and the husband fell.  He is in his 80s and wanted to go home to recover.  RCL requested their passports “ to process their exit from ship” and refused to give them back unless they paid $750 pp because they were leaving early .  They never left the country- this was in Orlando/Port Canaveral.  Personally, I think this is highway robbery and another money maker.  There was another incident on FB that had the same exact scenario.  Why charge if they already paid for a cruise? We have been in over 30 cruises on various cruise lines and never heard of such a thing.
I can’t believe they are the same company as Celebrity who gave us $400 credit towards another cruise because we had a minor  issue with our bill. We are suppose to go on RCL 3/29.  

Sure has given me a negative view of RCL and their customer service/care.

It is exactly because they never left US.

Maritime laws prohibit foreign vessels to transport passengers in US unless they visit foreign port.

If Orlando stop was after Bahamas or any other outside port fee wouldn't be collected.

Sorry. 😞 It is not RCI rule.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 8

Its called the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act)

A foreign flagged passenger vessel cannot embark a passenger in one US port and debark that passenger in another US port without a stop at distant foreign port. 

If they do, they have violated US law and will be fined accordingly. Royal just passed the fine on to the passengers.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is exactly because they never left US.

Maritime laws prohibit foreign vessels to transport passengers in US unless they visit foreign port.

If Orlando stop was after Bahamas or any other outside port fee wouldn't be collected.

Sorry. 😞 It is not RCI rule.

Then the couple would only have to pay $800+ in airfare home from the foreign port:classic_wacko:

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Then the couple would only have to pay $800+ in airfare home from the foreign port:classic_wacko:

If they were in Orlando after Bahamas (Baltimore - Nassau, Bahamas - Orlando) they wouldn't have to.

Main point is it cannot be just a cruise between 2 US ports. Must include at least 1 foreign port.

This is why all cruises from Hawaii to California (or back) include Ensenada (Mexico)

2 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

First.. welcome to cruise critic after your 30 plus cruises

Second.. has you negative view of Royal Caribbean changed after you have been notified that it is because of US Federal law???

The OP has been a member of CC since 2001

• Like 1

How do theses laws allow for a cruise to nowhere?  I'm sure I did one of those in college on RCCL. 

Also, say a 3 night sailing to Nassau with an at sea day for some reason can't get to Nassau (weather, local authorities closing port, whatever), is there going to be some big fee for RCCL?

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

"In accordance with this law, cruise lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $778 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port. The cruise lines typically pass this cost on the passengers who "jump the ship". Exemptions are available in the case of family emergencies etc."

Edited by Another_Critic

6 minutes ago, SAmome said:

How do theses laws allow for a cruise to nowhere?  I'm sure I did one of those in college on RCCL. 

Also, say a 3 night sailing to Nassau with an at sea day for some reason can't get to Nassau (weather, local authorities closing port, whatever), is there going to be some big fee for RCCL?

In your examples the ship returns to the same port from whence it embarked, and no one left the ship in the interim- therefore compliant with PSVA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

If they were in Orlando after Bahamas (Baltimore - Nassau, Bahamas - Orlando) they wouldn't have to.

Main point is it cannot be just a cruise between 2 US ports. Must include at least 1 foreign port.

This is why all cruises from Hawaii to California (or back) include Ensenada (Mexico)

Understand the foreign port point.  My snarky remark was that if the gentleman fell on the ship and wished to get off to recuperate at home and the first port was Nassau, they couple would be out airfare home.

Sorry he had a fall which at his age can be devastating. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Cruises to nowhere are illegal now.

They were discontinued some time ago due to this law.

Not sure how second scenarios works out.  I do not think short cruises to Bahamas now can include only  1 port...

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

And it has to be a FAR foreign port (Aruba is the closest).   Bahamas isn't.

52 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

"In accordance with this law, cruise lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $778 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port. The cruise lines typically pass this cost on the passengers who "jump the ship". Exemptions are available in the case of family emergencies etc."

And how about cruises like the Grand Princess, San Francisco, Hawaii, than San Francisco.  Don't see any foreign ports there. 

22 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Cruises to nowhere are illegal now.

They were discontinued some time ago due to this law.

Not sure how second scenarios works out.  I do not think short cruises to Bahamas now can include only  1 port...

They're not illegal per se, they just have to be done on a ship that is flagged in the US - like the Pride of America from NCL that circles around Hawaii.

6 minutes ago, ano said:

And how about cruises like the Grand Princess, San Francisco, Hawaii, than San Francisco.  Don't see any foreign ports there. 

That stops in Ensenada, Mexico. https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Grand-Princess-697

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCL2RCI said:

They're not illegal per se, they just have to be done on a ship that is flagged in the US - like the Pride of America from NCL that circles around Hawaii.

That stops in Ensenada, Mexico. https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Grand-Princess-697

It did not.

Grand Princess Voyage

Edited by ano
Addition

7 minutes ago, DCL2RCI said:

When? I took a look at a dozen or so of the itineraries and they all included Ensenada unless it was one of the Canadian loops. 

Current sailing

13 minutes ago, ano said:

It did not.

Then the ship has violated the PVSA. Do to the circumstance the ship is under its very possible the fine will be waived. 

Edited by wl2cruise