Service Animal or Emotional Support??

Depending on when they booked I beLieve they could still be grandfathered in until April of this year. 

Yep. All grandfathering will end by the end of April this year

As we transition into our new policy, guests that already processed a request to bring their emotional support animal on or before July 30th, 2018, will be allowed to do so on their existing cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I saw one service dog on Oasis a few weeks ago. Well behaved, vest on and on the floor where service dogs are supposed to be.

While "well behaved" is a requirement for a service dog, there is no requirement for a vest, and the DOJ accepts two locations for service animals:  on the floor, or in the owner's arms, if the nature of the service provided requires this (most common with diabetic service dogs).  Now, whether a diabetic should be drinking is another flag.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While "well behaved" is a requirement for a service dog, there is no requirement for a vest, and the DOJ accepts two locations for service animals:  on the floor, or in the owner's arms, if the nature of the service provided requires this (most common with diabetic service dogs).  Now, whether a diabetic should be drinking is another flag.

Could also detect impending seizures. Just giving the benefit of the doubt. My friend actually has a cat who alerts her to blood sugar drops. No training was involved, it just happens. 

• Like 1

I am not a fan of dogs on cruise ships, but I do feel that this sort of "public shaming", without knowing the facts, and posting someone's photo on Cruise Critic without his permission, is a bad idea.

Anyone else?

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not a fan of dogs on cruise ships, but I do feel that this sort of "public shaming", without knowing the facts, and posting someone's photo on Cruise Critic without his permission, is a bad idea.

Anyone else?

I agree.

Anyone else?
I can delete the Pic and blur him out...
I wasn't doing it to shame him, but I thought it was only grandfathered into April 2019.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Where do they do their business? That's really my only concern. Service dogs are usually better behaved than most children. Sometimes cleaner too. Would rather sit next to service dog than most children. I love kids, I am a teacher, but don't want to go into teacher mode on vacation. To those of you who parent your children, I am not talking about your child.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

I wasn't doing it to shame him, but I thought it was only grandfathered into April 2019.

In July 2018 when the new policy came into effect there were cruises available for sail until the end of April 2020

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

That would be an excellent idea.

39 minutes ago, SandiLynn said:

Where do they do their business? That's really my only concern. Service dogs are usually better behaved than most children. Sometimes cleaner too. Would rather sit next to service dog than most children. I love kids, I am a teacher, but don't want to go into teacher mode on vacation. To those of you who parent your children, I am not talking about your child.

On the poop deck, of course!  😂😂

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Btank said:

The cruise ships take care of that.  Here's a great video from earlier this year: I Took My Guide Dog On A Cruise Ship For A Week!

--bruce T.

Thank you, I enjoyed her video. I truly believe in service dogs. There are people who truly need their service animal. Its ashame some people exploit  this concept. At our school we have a child with a service animal. It makes a world of difference for the child and all the other children to understand his disability.

Edited by SandiLynn

A lot of small dogs that travel are litter boxes trained.  If not trained then cruise lines set up a designated area for the dog to do no 1 and 2.  You are not allowed to leave the dog unattended in the cabin.  They have a whole list of do's and dont's.

1 hour ago, SandiLynn said:

There is at least one box area set up on each sailing with a Dog on board. Ship's I've been on they are on Lifeboat Deck