Is the Seafood Shack a success?

Earthworm Jim

4 hours ago, rmajor said:

I tried the lobster roll and it was meh  at best. BUT the oysters were AMAZING and i will def be getting some with my OBC on my March 22 cruise on the Magic.. if it sails of course !! 🙂

We love the Seafood Shack, oysters, peel and eat shrimp, lobster roll, and crab are all excellent. As to your OBC, you really don't have a choice how it's used. as you buy anything, it reduces your balance.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, crusinpsychRN said:

How are oysters prepared? Garlic and cheese on top?

We have gotten oysters on numerous ships and they have always been served raw with nothing on them. We also always order the shrimp when we order oysters. I think the seafood shack has been a great addition to Carnival ships and the prices are very reasonable. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:45 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Well, as they are putting it on the Radiance as part of it's transformation, they must consider it a success.  Otherwise they would have found something else to do with the space.

Unless the powers that be can't admit, for some reason, that it is a failure, and will act like it is a success, regardless.

I look forward to trying the Seafood Shack on the Radiance in Sept hopefully.

I like the lobster rolls as a between meal snack. I guess they are a New England thing as I have never seen them anyplace but there. The chowder is ok, it is not made fresh, but there are quality ingredients in the bag it comes in. I enjoy the UK style fish and chips. A little malt vinegar and with your eyes closed you feel like your in Piccadilly Circus. 

I have never seen it busy, but I guess a lot of people turn up their nose at seafood. 

Not sure what the level of "busy" it has to be for it to be a success. If it is generating profit while not detracting from much else, then it is a success. I would imagine if they keep putting on ships, it is probably a money maker for them. There is the possibility that it is a failed initiative too though.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

I just wish they didnt replace the Tandoor with the Seafood Shack.  Why cant there be both?🦀🦞

We loved Tandoor and spent many lunches there on our Breeze cruise in 2012.  Then we booked one of the first Vista cruises and I did not research dining options and headed for where Tandoor should have been and saw Seafood Shack-so disappointed ☹️.  We did try a Lobster Roll on Horizon and it was fine but rather eat elsewhere.  My husband like fish and enjoyed the fish an chips so was sad to see that go away.

26 minutes ago, WhiteOptima said:

We loved Tandoor and spent many lunches there on our Breeze cruise in 2012.  Then we booked one of the first Vista cruises and I did not research dining options and headed for where Tandoor should have been and saw Seafood Shack-so disappointed ☹️.  We did try a Lobster Roll on Horizon and it was fine but rather eat elsewhere.  My husband like fish and enjoyed the fish an chips so was sad to see that go away.

I used to love the fish and chips found on the Conquest class ships. It was my my go to place to eat on embarkation day.

Tried it on Freedom, ordered the fish & chips. 30 minutes later received it. The batter was undercooked, still runny on the inside, and inedible so was thrown away. Did not want to wait another 30 mins for a re-do.

Gave it another go on Vista. Still slow service but the fish was cooked properly this time. Fries not good, so I just got some from Guy's to go with the fish. Only below average quality as far as fish and chips in other restaurants, and way below quality of the other other food options on board.

Overall not good, certainly not worth the money, and will not be trying it again on our cruise booked on Vista in October, if indeed it does sail.

So in answer to the original question, a firm NO from me.

I have never seen it crowded on my saiings.  I first experienced it on Vista in July 2016.  And it has been on ships since then so I assume it must be making some revenue.  Venues on ships don't tend to last if they aren't making revenue.  I had the lobster BLT on Conquest and it was pretty good but overpriced at $12.  I think $8 would be better price for the quality.

We tried Seafood Shack for the first time on Magic.  DD loved the New England Clam chowder in the bread bowl.  I tasted it, and it was pretty good.  They had a constant trickle of people for lunch and dinner, from what we saw.  Never a line ordering though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I m from New Orleans and know good seafood.

On our cruises we noticed a strong smell of bleach around the Shack, never a good sign.

Good seafood needs to be really fresh and I am not sure how fresh good seafood can be on a cruise ship that only takes food on in its original port.