Cancellation Policy -- Non Virus Related

Oceangoer2

Our cruise isn't until November 2020, final payment due Aug. 15th....just checked cancellation policy on reservation online and found that we would be liable for 25% of the total cost of the cruise if we cancel now.  We've never cancelled a cruise before but always had the understanding we had until final payment date to cancel without penalty and would only lose the NR deposit we made for the first time on any cruise.  Is this something new or have I just misunderstood X cancellation policy?  It does say "may be subject to add'l fees"....is that at our X rep's discretion?  Sorry for this question - there are so many concerns  with immediate loss of cruise cost or deposit,  but trying to get ducks in a row in case this goes on through the summer and we might have to cancel.  Thanks for your help. 

image.png.65c31d76697b2e594f21bdd67faa6b6b.png

Edited by oceangoer2

We just checked our online for APEX IN Nov.  2020.  It shows we  will get 100% refund if we cancel before our final payment date in August. That's what our res confirmation says as well. 

We did not book with a non refundable deposit...mabe that's the difference.  Still debating what we will do but feel we have time to decide.

We always book with a refundable deposit, and always had full refund if we cancelled up to 90 days before the cruise.

What you're posting is new to me... Even if you cancel 90 days before the cruise with a non refundable deposit, all you loose from your pocket is 100$ pp. The rest of the deposit is refunded as FCC.

Thanks Hcat and Dani...will forward this to our CP.  NRD shouldn't make any difference to the cancellation policy in my mind, but maybe they've changed this since the virus situation is costing them major $$s.

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

We just checked our online for APEX IN Nov.  2020.  It shows we  will get 100% refund if we cancel before our final payment date in August. That's what our res confirmation says as well. 

We did not book with a non refundable deposit...mabe that's the difference.  Still debating what we will do but feel we have time to decide.

Thanks for your advice re paper confirmation:

I should have checked our booking confirmation before the one online....it says:

"89 to 75 days prior to sailing  - 25% per guest - 16 Aug. 2020"

I sent the query to our X rep before I found the above...will see what she says and get back .

Edited by oceangoer2

We have 3 bookings at present, all made onboard as placeholders at the time.  1st booked August 2017 and cancellation penalty 89 to 57 days prior is deposit amount. 2nd booked November 2018, 3rd November 2019 and both have a 25% penalty. I thought this was because we book suites but the 2nd & 3rd original bookings were in balcony cabins. 

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We have 3 bookings at present, all made onboard as placeholders at the time.  1st booked August 2017 and cancellation penalty 89 to 57 days prior is deposit amount. 2nd booked November 2018, 3rd November 2019 and both have a 25% penalty. I thought this was because we book suites but the 2nd & 3rd original bookings were in balcony cabins. 

We booked onboard in Dec. '19....confirmation reissued 2/10/20 after a change in sailing date was made;  this has no 25% penalty but the online does.  So you will have to pay 25% on 2 bookings 2018/19 if you cancel and none on the 2017 booking?  Strange.  I seldom pay attention to the online confirmation as data is skewed and/or not current.

25% penalty only if we cancel 89 to 57 days before the cruise.  Our next cruise is a NRD so would lose $100 pp anytime we cancelled.  Right now the cruises for 2021 are RD. None of the reservations have cancellation information on line.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

The schedule you posted is somehow linked in the on-line booking system which shows a 25% cancellation fee the day after you book is incorrect.  
The booking confirmation has the correct cancellation schedule which is tge same for both refundable & non-refundable.  I have no idea why they can’t get it corrected.

1 hour ago, oceangoer2 said:

Our cruise isn't until November 2020, final payment due Aug. 15th....just checked cancellation policy on reservation online and found that we would be liable for 25% of the total cost of the cruise if we cancel now.  We've never cancelled a cruise before but always had the understanding we had until final payment date to cancel without penalty and would only lose the NR deposit we made for the first time on any cruise.  Is this something new or have I just misunderstood X cancellation policy?  It does say "may be subject to add'l fees"....is that at our X rep's discretion?  Sorry for this question - there are so many concerns  with immediate loss of cruise cost or deposit,  but trying to get ducks in a row in case this goes on through the summer and we might have to cancel.  Thanks for your help. 

image.png.65c31d76697b2e594f21bdd67faa6b6b.png

Have you talked to anyone? Sure looks you are a victim of the infamous Celebrity website. More than 90 days out if you are from the US the penalty is $100pp with a NRD or $0 otherwise.

46 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The schedule you posted is somehow linked in the on-line booking system which shows a 25% cancellation fee the day after you book is incorrect.  
The booking confirmation has the correct cancellation schedule which is tge same for both refundable & non-refundable.  I have no idea why they can’t get it corrected.

Thanks....wonder if many others have inquired re this online (incorrect) policy.  Waiting for my X rep to get back to me.   It surprised me when I saw the policy contrary to everything I've seen in the past - E+, many cruises, and not likely to 'miss' features that apply to $$s...LOL.

Our TA includes this summary with every booking summary:

Cancellation Fees:
The penalties below refer to the standard cancellation penalties. Certain promotional fares have a non-refundable deposit or fare. If your booking includes a non-refundable deposit or fare, this information will be available during the booking process and can be found in the “Cruise” section of your confirmation above.

Bookings Made on or after April 16, 2018
Cruise of 1 - 4 nights (including holiday sailings*)
75+ days prior to departure: No fee (unless you are booked under a non-refundable deposit cruise fare rate)
74 - 61 days prior to departure: 50% of total price
60 - 31 days prior to departure: 75% of total price
30 - 0 days prior to departure: 100% of total price

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours*)
90+ days prior to departure: No fee
89 - 75 days prior to departure: 25% of total price

Celebrity Xpedition, Xploration, Xperience, & Flora Cancellation Fees
Xpedition, Xperience, & Flora 3 nights or longer (including holiday sailings*)
120+ days prior to departure: No fee (unless you are booked under a non-refundable deposit cruise fare rate)
119 - 89 days prior to departure: Deposit amount
88 - 43 days prior to departure: 50% of total cruise fare
42 - 22 days prior to departure: 75% of total cruise fare
21 - 0 days prior to departure: No refund except for taxes/fees

Xploration 3 nights or longer (including holiday sailings*)
179 - 150 days prior to departure: Deposit ($450 per person)
149 - 120 days prior to departure: 50% of total price
119 - 90 days prior to departure: 75% of total price
89 days or less prior to departure: No refund except for taxes/fees

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Our TA includes this summary with every booking summary:

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours*)
90+ days prior to departure: No fee
89 - 75 days prior to departure: 25% of total price

Thanks...I sent screenshots of pertinent info on my booking confirmation (same as yours above) just in case she thinks the policy has been changed....

Edited by oceangoer2

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I hope it all works out for you.

Just noticed our sailing history is March and Nov or Dec....so happy I didn't book this March and have to deal with the disappointment of cancellation.  Feel so sorry for all caught up in this and more-so for those affected with the virus.  By coming Nov. I hope for all of us this virus will probably be one for the history books

I started noticing a similar cancellation policy as OP posted when I was doing mock bookings the last few months.  It started with the non-refundable deposits I believe.   Sometimes the cancellation period/final payment was the next day.  But you had to click on T&C right on the booking.  

Good luck- hope it works out!