Will Be An Unusual Cruise -- On Riviera Now (clarification added to title)

kitty9

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

Just talked to one crew member.  They are sending him home on 3/21.  We didn’t get the letter but asked at Reception and they will send.  We live in Florida, so this is less of a headache for us - our car is at the port.  Most folks taking it all very well.  

But, I’m not sure what this accomplishes. The ship is incredibly clean.  There is much more danger in my local Walmart.

has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the ship.  It is an attempt to slow the spread/flatten the curve.  

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I'm wondering if the Riviera is going to stay in Miami for the 30 days.

There will probably be quite a display of laid up cruise ships in Miami and elsewhere.

It is positively amazing how history will repeat itself every so often, if given the chance.

wp85c1667b_05_06.jpg

The Seamen's Strike happened when I was 5 years old, so my memory of it mostly concerns the raised voices of the adults in my life. That situation broke the back of the Maritime World.

I don't believe that Cunard ever recovered.

wp3c56c2b5_05_06.jpg

• Like 1

We were so very fortunate that we debarked Riviera Wednesday morning in Miami after a terrific 14-day Caribbean cruise and were able to arrive home in Cincinnati by late afternoon.  

I feel so very bad for all the crew members; they face very uncertain futures after providing us with the best service we ever have experienced on our 12 Oceania cruises since we started cruising in 2008. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StanandJim said:

There will probably be quite a display of laid up cruise ships in Miami and elsewhere.

It is positively amazing how history will repeat itself every so often, if given the chance.

wp85c1667b_05_06.jpg

The Seamen's Strike happened when I was 5 years old, so my memory of it mostly concerns the raised voices of the adults in my life. That situation broke the back of the Maritime World.

I don't believe that Cunard ever recovered.

wp3c56c2b5_05_06.jpg

I don't believe that anyone cares today.  Much more to worry about than things than happened that are at least 50 years old. 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I don't believe that anyone cares today.  Much more to worry about than things than happened that are at least 50 years old. 

Maybe they should -  to quote Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just spoke to the assistant cruise director and she told us that after unloading all passengers, and after taking on fuel and some provisions, Riviera will set sail for Nassau where she will remain until the crisis is under control.  Crew will have to isolate for 14 days onboard the ship and then, if the Bahamian government approves, they might be able to leave the ship for short periods.

Tomorrow will be chaotic with people still scrambling for flights.  Keep all of us, and the crew, in your prayers that we ALL get through this and get home healthy. 

• Like 3

I was aboard for this adventure as well. I have to say I am truly impressed with the way everyone handled things. Passengers were "making lemonade", crew members put up a great effort to smile and be helpful, and the parent company and officers aboard did the very best they could given the unknowns. The passenger services reps really worked miracles. I was so impressed, and so concerned about the crews' welfare, that I gave a large part of my on board credit to increased gratuities. My hat is off to everyone I met and dealt with!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

I was aboard for this adventure as well. I have to say I am truly impressed with the way everyone handled things. Passengers were "making lemonade", crew members put up a great effort to smile and be helpful, and the parent company and officers aboard did the very best they could given the unknowns. The passenger services reps really worked miracles. I was so impressed, and so concerned about the crews' welfare, that I gave a large part of my on board credit to increased gratuities. My hat is off to everyone I met and dealt with!

I agree - the crew was great and the passengers rolled with the changes very well!

52 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Yes - no customs check!

Could it be because you actually didn't go anywhere outside of US (or didn't get off anywhere) - just a nice leisurely "free" cruise (not that this is what people wanted) 😀

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Could it be because you actually didn't go anywhere outside of US (or didn't get off anywhere) - just a nice leisurely "free" cruise (not that this is what people wanted) 😀

Exactly - that must have been the reason.