What happens if parked at NY port and they don't let the ship dock?

myk249

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

yeah you will pay more per day, mine happened in Galveston port. hurrican harvey i was on the ship 6 extra days.  

All ports are different, they are not owned by NCL. Knowing the set up at the Manhattan port, I don’t know how they would collect.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

All ports are different, they are not owned by NCL. Knowing the set up at the Manhattan port, I don’t know how they would collect.

iv also sailed out of there as well , been on many cruises out of at least 10 different ports. but never extended it in manhattan.  i know the set up and its pretty much all the same.  you will be fine, they will not tow all the cars out of passangers still on the ship, they will charge you the extra days  upon exit. 

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a maximum rate, I think it would be up to NCL to pay if anything.

Why would you think it would be up to NCL to pay?  It's specifically in your ticket contract that they won't pay. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

iv also sailed out of there as well , been on many cruises out of at least 10 different ports. but never extended it in manhattan.  i know the set up and its pretty much all the same.  you will be fine, they will not tow all the cars out of passangers still on the ship, they will charge you the extra days  upon exit. 

There is no way for the Manhattan cruise terminal to charge you more upon exit.  Like others have said, at that facility you pre-pay.  There is no gate blocking your exit.  Unless they are walking through the lot checking license numbers, making unauthorized charges on credit cards or building a structure to stop exit, they are not charging you more, simply because there is nothing in place to do so.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gizfish said:

There is no way for the Manhattan cruise terminal to charge you more upon exit.  Like others have said, at that facility you pre-pay.  There is no gate blocking your exit.  Unless they are walking through the lot checking license numbers, making unauthorized charges on credit cards or building a structure to stop exit, they are not charging you more, simply because there is nothing in place to do so.  

Yeah, no gates upon exit at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking, just those terrifying tire spikes that I am always petrified to drive over, even though I am going the correct direction.

48 minutes ago, gizfish said:

they will likely have a few guys at the exit and maybe a few cones  with credit card machines in hand.  the day the boat docks,  i was stuck on one once and i also was in a prepaid lot. had to pay the extra days. but the good news was they did not tow. 

For real, I stand corrected,  for $11 per 24 hours in NYC 👴 - when was this ?? Unless it was pre-1999, I don't remember how much we paid at MCT for rooftop parking then on Premier Cruises.  As far back as 2003, it was already up to $20 per day per 24 hours at MCT (and that was the Norwegian Dawn).  It has always been capped or max'd out for longer sailings - for the last 5+ years, it's been held steady at $40 per day at a max of $400 for sailings of 10 days or longer - I am 95% sure that when we sailed last year on a 14 days Caribbean round-trip, nobody paid more than the capped amount of $400, didn't hear of any surprises from anyone on the Roll Call (otherwise, I think Arzeena that ran the M&G or one of us would've gotten some feedback)

NYC is now officially declared to be in a SOE by the Mayor (State of Emergency) and with that declaration - has the discretionary authority to do many things, very unlikely for NYC to allow the port operator tha oversee/manage the parking operations to change the rules.  When vehicles were "stranded" for extra days during 2012's Superstorm Sandy, I don't recall reading about getting dinged extra fees, charges for extra days of parking at the port.  What they paid/charged upon entry on embarkation was it.  

A subtle difference in speculating what "might" happen ahead vs. what I knew as past/current practice - open to hearing facts-based info.  Be safe, travel wisely and stay healthy and exercise common sense.  

Edited by mking8288

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Wonder what’s happening with the cars that are in San Francisco that the passengers had to get off in Oakland.    And being quarantined all over the US.   Lol.  Just sayin.  

There is always BART to get to the other side of the bay as well as taxis -

as for those quarantined at a remote location getting back from say Texas to California - don't know ???

As for the parking fees that too is to be determined -

With Princess suspending cruises for 60 days there would be no issue with the parking vendor needing

more space for cars that are not going to be there because of no ship no cruise.

Unless a parking vendor is way out of orbit in customer relations the parking issue will be handled OK.

And then some insurance factor may be in play getting reimbursed.

Somebody else's worry - but hope there is some feedback from those affected for future consideration

in how these matters are handled.

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

For real, I stand corrected,  for $11 per 24 hours in NYC 👴 - when was this ?? Unless it was pre-1999, I don't remember how much we paid at MCT for rooftop parking then on Premier Cruises.  As far back as 2003, it was already up to $20 per day per 24 hours at MCT (and that was the Norwegian Dawn).  It has always been capped or max'd out for longer sailings - for the last 5+ years, it's been held steady at $40 per day at a max of $400 for sailings of 10 days or longer - I am 95% sure that when we sailed last year on a 14 days Caribbean round-trip, nobody paid more than the capped amount of $400, didn't hear of any surprises from anyone on the Roll Call (otherwise, I think Arzeena that ran the M&G or one of us would've gotten some feedback)

NYC is now officially declared to be in a SOE by the Mayor (State of Emergency) and with that declaration - has the discretionary authority to do many things, very unlikely for NYC to allow the port operator tha oversee/manage the parking operations to change the rules.  When vehicles were "stranded" for extra days during 2012's Superstorm Sandy, I don't recall reading about getting dinged extra fees, charges for extra days of parking at the port.  What they paid/charged upon entry on embarkation was it.  

A subtle difference in speculating what "might" happen ahead vs. what I knew as past/current practice - open to hearing facts-based info.  Be safe, travel wisely and stay healthy and exercise common sense.  

Post #25 clarified his experience was in Galveston

Post #27 clarified he's never experienced an "extended stay" in Manhattan 

So basically contributing to the Manhattan question by referencing everywhere but Manhattan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

NY pier parking:

$400 it was for 14 nights last year. Paid before entering the parking lot. Ouch ouch and ouch.
But ohhhh what a convenience!

I thought $400 was the max for any cruise out of Manhattan. If so, that would be all Jamie has to worry about. Basically you pay for 10 days and the rest is free, so not too much more vs right dats for a 7 day cruise.

18 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am supposed to be flying to NYC Sunday morning for my Bliss sailing, but with the plane literally almost empty at the moment

Flights were pretty empty this week.  I flew Sunday and yesterday on Southwest.  Second leg on Sunday had 81 of 175 seats occupied, first leg yesterday was only half full (nobody was in line after the B1-B30 line), and the second leg wasn't much better.  I can only see it getting worse as fear and concern spreads.

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Flights were pretty empty this week.  I flew Sunday and yesterday on Southwest.  Second leg on Sunday had 81 of 175 seats occupied, first leg yesterday was only half full (nobody was in line after the B1-B30 line), and the second leg wasn't much better.  I can only see it getting worse as fear and concern spreads.

I am scheduled to fly to NYC for my cruise on Sunday morning and when I checked last night, only 20 of the 72 seats were occupied. I am in first/business class (small plane) and I can pick any one of the other 11 first class seats when I go in to change my seat...

15 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they will likely have a few guys at the exit and maybe a few cones  with credit card machines in hand.  the day the boat docks,  i was stuck on one once and i also was in a prepaid lot. had to pay the extra days. but the good news was they did not tow. 

Seaman Shmuckatelly..  Stop..  Just stop with all your hypothesis about parking at the Pier in Manhattan..  What happened to you at other ports doesn't pertain to what the OP asked nor does it help others that are curious...  Unless you have factual evidence to support your claims, just keep your opinions to yourself...

Edited by ScottVV

11 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Post #25 clarified his experience was in Galveston

Post #27 clarified he's never experienced an "extended stay" in Manhattan 

So basically contributing to the Manhattan question by referencing everywhere but Manhattan 

Exactly...  

… But to try and provide an answer, I work for Customs in New York/Newark and we control the Cruise ship Terminals at Pier 88, Bayonne and Brooklyn per se - but not the Pier parking..  I reached out to my counterparts to see if they can shed some light on the OPs question and I will share with the class if I find out anything...   

Edited by ScottVV

Just now, ScottVV said:

… But to try and provide an answer, I work for Customs in New York/Newark and we control the Cruise ship Terminals per se - but not the Pier parking..  I reached out to my counterparts to see if they can shed some light on the OPs question and I will share with the class if I find out anything...   

Thank you!

5 hours ago, ScottVV said:

… But to try and provide an answer, I work for Customs in New York/Newark and we control the Cruise ship Terminals at Pier 88, Bayonne and Brooklyn per se - but not the Pier parking..  I reached out to my counterparts to see if they can shed some light on the OPs question and I will share with the class if I find out anything...   

Thank you!

On 3/12/2020 at 11:42 AM, Ptroxx said:

Wonder what’s happening with the cars that are in San Francisco that the passengers had to get off in Oakland.    And being quarantined all over the US.   Lol.  Just sayin.  

The Crazy Chicken Ladies on the Grand Princess said on there last YouTube video that Princess was going to pickup the tab on her car parked at the terminal.  They were suppose to go back to Nevada, but PTB sent them to Maramar for quarantine.