Prices going up

thon

I just checked the price of a future cruise I might take in Feb 2021 using any FCC I get if I cancel my current cruise.  Price for the cabin has risen $674CDN in 2 days from when I first picked it out.  Same cabin, same perks.  Not impressed.

16 minutes ago, thon said:

I just checked the price of a future cruise I might take in Feb 2021 using any FCC I get if I cancel my current cruise.  Price for the cabin has risen $674CDN in 2 days from when I first picked it out.  Same cabin, same perks.  Not impressed.

I noticed the same last week and I asked if the line was going to keep prices high and skip regular sales so we'd all have to pay more. I was flamed pretty good by a few, but more and more people are seeing that this is what's happening. 

We got a great deal when we booked this cruise, it's our first, and I've heard great things about Celebrity, but they would usually be a little out of our price range, so I snagged the deal! For our sailing on the 23rd we have an A1 Aquaclass cabin, CBP, $300 OBC, and prepaid gratuities. To get a similar sailing will cost us nearly DOUBLE.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

the same itinerary one year from now (our cruise sails March 23) pricing is more than double what we paid for this one.  My husband still feels it is a go even when everything around us is shutting down. 

We'd be going for sure is there was some sort of reasonable protocol in place for what happens if someone gets sick - COVID-19 or just the flu, or whatever.  We're not worried about getting, we're worried about a 14 day quarantine somewhere. We both work from home and live in South Florida.  If there was an allowance to self-quarantine, like you can if you're around someone who is ill that you get in contact with ANYWHERE else, it wouldn't be an issue. But an extra 14 days with no income? We can't afford it.

Edited by smogfarmgirl

2 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

That's why we hope they cancel our April 13 Apex sailing and issue refund plus 25% FCC. That's what it will take to book a comparable cruise for next year.

That would be great - but they could follow suit with Princess and give refund and FCC...just sayin', that's how you get loyalty - go above and beyond in a tough time.

They need to take care of their repeat cruisers,by upping the price we will be paying for their loss, if they don't have insurance to cover there losses that is their problem. This does not work for me. 

I am one of these people that checks the prices of cruises daily. We have one in May, 2021 and February 2022. I have found that there are holding steady. I seen a $1000.00 drop in January but shortly after that it went back up another 1,500.00 for my European cruise. Now it’s seems to be holding steady which blows my mind as there are many cabins still available. We have booked a Sky Suite on each cruise.

3 minutes ago, Airrace said:

Now it’s seems to be holding steady which blows my mind as there are many cabins still available.

The know the FCC will have to be spent either way, so they have little incentive to have the big sales and perks offers they usually have.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pasta1 said:

This does not work for me. 

Nor I. It feels like extortion...more money for the same cruise. Instead of money spent, they should just give us a credit for the same everything on a later date.

Edited by smogfarmgirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, smogfarmgirl said:

I noticed the same last week and I asked if the line was going to keep prices high and skip regular sales so we'd all have to pay more. I was flamed pretty good by a few, but more and more people are seeing that this is what's happening. 

We got a great deal when we booked this cruise, it's our first, and I've heard great things about Celebrity, but they would usually be a little out of our price range, so I snagged the deal! For our sailing on the 23rd we have an A1 Aquaclass cabin, CBP, $300 OBC, and prepaid gratuities. To get a similar sailing will cost us nearly DOUBLE.

Yes, I commented last week I agreed with you, as our same sailing next year would also be double!  Our cruise is 4/5, and we're waiting until the 30th to decide.  I'd rather Celebrity cancel than us, so we can get a refund rather than the FCC, with the prices the way they are.  We'd just hold on to the FCC as long as possible.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hiccups said:

I'd rather Celebrity cancel than us, so we can get a refund rather than the FCC, with the prices the way they are.  We'd just hold on to the FCC as long as possible.

Same here - unfortunately, that's our vacation money for the year.  COVID-19 is hitting both our jobs hard, and there will be no money to pay for another vacation.  This was already our first vacation in 5 years, and now it's looking like it's probably gone, since no one can get things organized to let something reasonable happen if someone gets any kind of illness on board.

Disappointed doesn't begin to cover it.

Do you have to spend the FCC by the end of 2020 to sail by the end of 2021?  Or can you book sometime next year and sail by end of the year?   I thought I read some people said you need to book by the end of 2020.   If that's the case, they will probably just keep the price up until end of this year when everyone has to spend the FCC.   They could lower the price next year for the cash payers.

59 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

the same itinerary one year from now (our cruise sails March 23) pricing is more than double what we paid for this one.  My husband still feels it is a go even when everything around us is shutting down. 

I saw the same thing for our 3/14 cruise, same cruise next March, same cabin, same perks, quite an increase in price, but, we'll still go!!!

What everyone is missing, IMO, is that the cruise lines (as well as the airlines) use dynamic pricing (supply and demand). The more cabins that are sold in a category, the higher the price will go. The longer a cruise has been open for sale also affects pricing. Popular cruises, or those with unusual itineraries will also sell well, causing prices to rise more quickly. When a cruise first opens for sale, that's when you'll usually get the lowest price. Guests who are canceling now and looking to rebook in the next year will find higher prices because these cruises have already been open for sale for many months. X is not trying to gouge their customers. If future bookings start to get soft X will reduce prices accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1