HAL starting a 30 day global pause of operations

sailingdutchy

A few years ago, we had lunch with one of HAL's most respected Hotel Managers at the time (not on a world cruise).  Of course, we talked about cruising and, at one point, he was very honest and said to me: "Look around the dining room; you can see that 40% of these folks should not be travelling by cruise ship considering their overall condition."  I was a bit shocked at the time but now realize that, sadly, he might have underestimated that figure.  A lot of people on that world cruise ship are now in big trouble.  We can only hope that HAL will do everything possible to help them.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I think it is clear from Ashford's message that all cruises are cancelled.

The original memo said all cruises through 4/14 were cancelled. Is it now indefinite, or have they announced a new date?

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

My first thought when I read that HAL is suspending operations and refunding fares: will cruise lines survive this virus financially?  During 9/11's aftermath, many passengers cancelled to the point that some cruise lines declared bankruptcy.  This time the cruise lines are halting business, so to speak, for the next 30 days.  In addition, they're returning financial capital.  How can any business survive a model like that?  Maybe some of you who have degrees in Economics can explain.  I pray that HAL has financial reserves to pull them through this crisis.

21 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

One thing that MIGHT help is business interruption insurance.  I suspect that cruise lines have at least a limited amount of this.

And, I have a suspicion that in return for suspending, there is some bail out coming as well.

11 hours ago, wyobean said:

I really hate to see people expecting extra for compensation in this situation. This is no one’s fault. I will be happy to get a FCC or refund...whatever they decide. I am just hoping they don’t have to declare bankruptcy...then you get nothing.

I agree with you FCC is fine with me we cruise  lots. Refunds for the people that want it. Airlines need to give choice as well.

12 hours ago, fabuloso said:

What does 100% Full Refund and 100% Future Cruise Credit mean exactly?

A friend of mine on Royal Carb. this weekend was only offered a 100% cash refund OR 125% in FCC.  I know its a different company, but it does make more sense than Holland offering 100 and 100.

27 minutes ago, cruiseing marly said:

That is after the 30 Days

I will have to go back and read the press release, we sail on the 15th of April, and I thought they only cancelled through the 14th.

It's really a moot point, I realized last night I can't wait beyond April 1st, or I'm out $600 from the cat kennel.

Edited by atexsix

Just now, Cruising-along said:

You are correct.

Thanks.  

We've resigned ourselves to it, even if we could sail, we probably won't enjoy ourselves.  We'll refund the shore excursions, and put the rest of it toward a future cruise, hopefully we qualify for one of the incentive offers.

• Like 1

Update of the fleet from about an hour ago

UPDATE (9:20 p.m. March 15): The following is an update of Holland America Line ship disembarkations. Please check back for continued updates.

Disembarkation Completed Today:
Rotterdam: disembarked in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Nieuw Statendam: disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale
Koningsdam: disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale

Upcoming Disembarkations:
Zaandam: in Punta Arenas, Chile, and awaiting final clearance to come alongside for disembarkation March 16-17
Eurodam: March 18 in San Diego, California, as scheduled. The last scheduled port of Ensenada on March 17 is now a service call only, guests will not be getting off the ship.
Veendam: March 18 in FT Lauderdale as scheduled.
Zuiderdam: March 18 in Ft. Lauderdale as scheduled.

Later Disembarkations:
Maasdam: March 20 in Hilo, Hawaii.
Volendam: March 22 in Ft. Lauderdale, as scheduled.
Amsterdam: March 22-23 local time in Fremantle, Australia.

Ships no longer in service: Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam.

Updatdd message on status

To our fans, guests and friends, we appreciate your presence on (omitted) . As you can imagine, we are working tirelessly to get our guests home. We see your comments, we hear your thoughts and we are glad you are here supporting us. Unfortunately, due to the volume of comments and questions we can’t reply to everyone at this time. Rest assured that we are compiling your questions and will get you answers as soon as we can.

To help answer questions you might have about our ships, where we are debarking guests and other major topics, going forward we will be providing three daily updates on Facebook in the morning, afternoon and evening ET.

Once our guests are home, we will begin addressing your guest services questions about refunds, insurance, Future Cruise Credits, upcoming departures, etc. In the meantime, for any urgent questions you can reach out to our reservations team for assistance: 877-932-4259. Please note that hold times may be long this week as they work to assist our guests.

Rest assured that our guests who are still on board are being well cared for and are safe. Thank you again for being loyal Holland America Line fans

Edited by AlanF65

We too are playing the waiting game although I don't really have the illusion that our trip will go ahead since we live in Europe.

So we are not only waiting to see if the cruise suspension for our cruise on April 18th out of San Diego will be lifted, but also to see if we can fly there. I don't really have much hope but are waiting to hear from HAL what they plan to do before we cancel the flights. Also just heard today that Canada - where our cruise will end - is not allowing cruise ships to dock until July 1st. 

Edited by dutchie50

12 minutes ago, dutchie50 said:

We too are playing the waiting game although I don't really have the illusion that our trip will go ahead since we live in Europe.

So we are not only waiting to see if the cruise suspension for our cruise on April 18th out of San Diego will be lifted, but also to see if we can fly there. I don't really have much hope but are waiting to hear from HAL what they plan to do before we cancel the flights. Also just heard today that Canada - where our cruise will end - is not allowing cruise ships to dock until July 1st. 

It will be a couple of weeks before they even have an idea of what is happening!

Will ships go to Alaska for a shortened season?  Will ships come to Europe for a shortened season?  What ports will allow them dock in June/July/August?  Will cruisers be able to get flights?  Will there be airlines? Will there be cruise lines? (last couple of comments are facetious, I hope!)

Last week Westerdam was sailing towards Alaska and her first cruise was (from memory) May 10th.  Then they scheduled a couple of cruises from April 17th and now they are gone!  Who would be in the planning department now!

19 hours ago, dutchie50 said:

No chance.   Too many doubtful areas which can/will change for the worse.     You might as well cancel now.