Just got quarantined - 3 weeks later...Reflection

Elusive_Cruiser

We arrived home from a Reflection cruise on February 21st (GREAT cruise, BTW!!).  My DH has had a cough since we got home from cruise, which is actually normal for him (always seems to pick up s** on flights).  The cough kept hanging on, longer than usual, so I called our doctors office yesterday.  His asst said to immediately self-isolate and contact Health Link.  Well, after 7 hours of trying to get through, and then 30 minutes on hold, we went through the assessment.  ONLY because we were on a cruise ship, we are both being tested.  It has been 3 weeks, and we arrived home before all crap broke loose with COVID-19 in Canada.  

We are now waiting to be contacted to do the test (24-48hrs) then another 4-5 days for results.  We're being patient, all for the greater good. But, it is frustrating trying to comply with quarantine.  

I always put in a weekly online grocery order, which I conveniently pull in, call, and they bring my order to the car. I order the day before my desired pick up.  Today, I tried to place my order, and the first available slot was Wednesday (4 days from now).  I sucked it up, and continued with my order, but, be damned... could not complete my order (options to continue were 'greyed' out).  It would appear the system is overloaded?

Yikes...  we are in an area considered to be a very low risk....  What is wrong with people that, I am assuming, are being fear mongers?  I, seriously, watched the 9am Costco store opening, last week, of the 'we NEED to have 300 rolls of toilet paper' people race through the store.  It was, seriously, the funniest thing I've ever witnessed.  

But now, I just want to get my groceries, without having to enter the store, to honour my quarantine.  It seems that will not be possible.              

• Like 1

So pleased you had a great cruise before all this. You have done the right thing to self isolate. 

We regularly have home deliveries as we have some mobility issues, just tried to book for next week and there are no slots until Thursday. Definitely a global problem. It will be interesting to see how much stuff is ‘out of stock’ by then. Not bothered, our parents managed on rations during the war, nothing we can’t manage without!

As older people we are just being sensible and avoiding avoiding contact with others...I think I am missing being able to hug and kiss family more than I will miss any missing groceries although I hope the wine comes!

Sincere best wishes that you both keep well...

• Like 1

First off, best of luck to both of you. I work for a super market in Florida, in a county not yet having any issues, and people are buying like it's the end of the world coming. We can't keep water, toilet paper, or frozen foods stocked fast enough. This is pure craziness.

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Do you have a non affected friend relative or church member  who can shop for you and drop the bags at your door?  Might be a possible solution.

Excellent suggestion.

11 hours ago, Elusive_Cruiser said:

We arrived home from a Reflection cruise on February 21st (GREAT cruise, BTW!!).  My DH has had a cough since we got home from cruise, which is actually normal for him (always seems to pick up s** on flights).  The cough kept hanging on, longer than usual, so I called our doctors office yesterday.  His asst said to immediately self-isolate and contact Health Link.  Well, after 7 hours of trying to get through, and then 30 minutes on hold, we went through the assessment.  ONLY because we were on a cruise ship, we are both being tested.  It has been 3 weeks, and we arrived home before all crap broke loose with COVID-19 in Canada.  

We are now waiting to be contacted to do the test (24-48hrs) then another 4-5 days for results.  We're being patient, all for the greater good. But, it is frustrating trying to comply with quarantine.  

I always put in a weekly online grocery order, which I conveniently pull in, call, and they bring my order to the car. I order the day before my desired pick up.  Today, I tried to place my order, and the first available slot was Wednesday (4 days from now).  I sucked it up, and continued with my order, but, be damned... could not complete my order (options to continue were 'greyed' out).  It would appear the system is overloaded?

Yikes...  we are in an area considered to be a very low risk....  What is wrong with people that, I am assuming, are being fear mongers?  I, seriously, watched the 9am Costco store opening, last week, of the 'we NEED to have 300 rolls of toilet paper' people race through the store.  It was, seriously, the funniest thing I've ever witnessed.  

But now, I just want to get my groceries, without having to enter the store, to honour my quarantine.  It seems that will not be possible.              

I wish you and your husband good health and a good result.

Would you kindly post your result?  I know someone who was on your cruise and I saw her since, so I am concerned.

• Like 1

Yeah, I tried putting in my online orders at Loblaws and RCSS and the earliest available slot is Tuesday. Since I don't need any essential supplies, I'm just going to do take out for the next week or so until this die now. Probably unhealthy, but I hate being in crowded areas. My friend went to Longos Friday night and it took 90min just to check out. Pizza for breakfast, Pizza for lunch, Pizza for dinner!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, babylene said:

I wish you and your husband good health and a good result.

Would you kindly post your result?  I know someone who was on your cruise and I saw her since, so I am concerned.

Thank you, and I surely will do.

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Do you have a non affected friend relative or church member  who can shop for you and drop the bags at your door?  Might be a possible solution.

We do, I just have a problem asking someone to stand in line 🙂

I was finally able to get an online order in, for delivery on Wednesday and will manage until then.  But thank you!

• Like 1

Good luck with the test results.... given the amount of time that has passed since your cruise your husband’s symptoms are unlikely to be connected to that.  Hopefully just the good ole flu ( can’t believe I’m referring to the flu as good) or some other common bug.  Like your husband I can usually count on cold like symptoms after a cruise (could be the cruise, the flight or simply returning to cold weather after enjoying the warmth of the Caribbean).  Good luck with your groceries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elusive_Cruiser said:

We do, I just have a problem asking someone to stand in line 🙂

I was finally able to get an online order in, for delivery on Wednesday and will manage until then.  But thank you!

Understand, but this is a time to help each other. Am sure your have neighbors that you would happily assist if the situation was reversed.

4 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Understand, but this is a time to help each other. Am sure your have neighbors that you would happily assist if the situation was reversed.

Yup, I would!  We're just not quite there as yet.  We've had a ton of offers, so we're covered, in the event that things get that far, which I do not believe they will.

We will continue to stay at home and enjoy each others company, hopefully get our test soon, and carry on to help others, once we are deemed healthy!

2 hours ago, royalcruz said:

If Instacart is available on your area you can have them do your grocery shopping and leave the food on your doorstep. You can tip them in the app/website.

Was going to say the same thing.  Great service for what is going on in the world right now.

Not that at I know anything but you never mentioned your husband having a fever. Everything I have read on Corona Virus is the #1 symptom is a fever. If he has no fever after 3 weeks odds are you have something else.  

P

6 hours ago, volk904 said:

Not that at I know anything but you never mentioned your husband having a fever. Everything I have read on Corona Virus is the #1 symptom is a fever. If he has no fever after 3 weeks odds are you have something else.  

P

One of the common symptoms is fever, but it's not required symptom to be classified as Covid-19. Some, especially people with better immune system, can carry and spread the virus without ever showing any symptoms.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GateGuardian said:

One of the common symptoms is fever, but it's not required symptom to be classified as Covid-19. Some, especially people with better immune system, can carry and spread the virus without ever showing any symptoms.

You are correct - no my DH does not have a fever - it was his persistent dry cough and the fact that we'd recently traveled, on a cruise ship, that garnered our quarantine.  Had we not traveled, there would not have been a concern at that time.  Now, a few days later, is again different. 

As for online ordering of food - I do this weekly, but the website was hung up.  I went to a different store and managed to get a home delivery for Wednesday (order placed on Saturday!).  

Edited by Elusive_Cruiser
update

Hope the original posters continue to feel well and enjoy their time together. Please do let us know your test results. We were on this same cruise and my DH came down with, what we believe is the flu, within two weeks of coming home. He did have a fever for a couple of days, as well as cough, muscle weakness, etc. that goes along with the flu, but never did he experienced any kind of shortness of breath or difficulty breathing which is a symptom of Covid19. He still has a bit of a lingering cough. There were quite a few passengers with coughs and one of our party of six picked that up before the end of the cruise.

Hope everyone stays healthy through this pandemic and that we’ll all be with family and friends and enjoy being on the seas again soon. 
Please stay home if you can and wash your hand frequently!

2 hours ago, Swann5 said:

Hope the original posters continue to feel well and enjoy their time together. Please do let us know your test results. We were on this same cruise and my DH came down with, what we believe is the flu, within two weeks of coming home. He did have a fever for a couple of days, as well as cough, muscle weakness, etc. that goes along with the flu, but never did he experienced any kind of shortness of breath or difficulty breathing which is a symptom of Covid19. He still has a bit of a lingering cough. There were quite a few passengers with coughs and one of our party of six picked that up before the end of the cruise.

Hope everyone stays healthy through this pandemic and that we’ll all be with family and friends and enjoy being on the seas again soon. 
Please stay home if you can and wash your hand frequently!

It could be a mild case of Covid 19.

Sophie Trudeau has a mild case and her main symptom is a headache. 

It sound like your husband is a candidate for testing.. Just to be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babylene said:

It could be a mild case of Covid 19.

Sophie Trudeau has a mild case and her main symptom is a headache. 

It sound like your husband is a candidate for testing.. Just to be sure.

Edmonton also have a Drive-thru test center now, so you don't have to be a room full of people while waiting.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, Elusive_Cruiser said:

You are correct - no my DH does not have a fever - it was his persistent dry cough and the fact that we'd recently traveled, on a cruise ship, that garnered our quarantine.  Had we not traveled, there would not have been a concern at that time.  Now, a few days later, is again different. 

As for online ordering of food - I do this weekly, but the website was hung up.  I went to a different store and managed to get a home delivery for Wednesday (order placed on Saturday!).  

Original poster, Elusive_cruiser, did your DH, get his test results back?
Hope you both and everyone stay safe and healthy.

Everyone please wash your hands frequently and stay home unless absolutely necessary then practice proper social distancing!

Dianne

On 3/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, Elusive_Cruiser said:

6 minutes ago, Swann5 said:

Dianne

A heads up the Costco now has a morning hour for those 60+.  Also several grocers have senior hours. We were able to leave home, shop and return home in a bit over an hour.

The best part was EVERYTHING was in stock and no crowds.

• Like 3