Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

16 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

just read on another site that our booked cruise on celebrity that lots of us transferred from 2020 to April 2022 to Japan is not showing up on Celebrity site.

we are wondering if they have made a decision already to cancel this cruise.

I can accept cancellations for 2021 but surely not 2022!,

eileen

Was your cruise a repositioning cruise up to Japan? If so Celebrity cancelled their whole Australian season a while back which means no Celebrity ships will be here in April. 

5 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Whilst the State borders might not open when NSW reaches 80% we might be able to fly to Canada, if we are fully vaccinated.😉

"Air Canada and Qantas will fly Sydney-Vancouver four times a week with the first flight to Vancouver taking off on December 17." Traveller

We can go over to Vancouver enmasse and stir up young Lyle, lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Come on up, happy to meet you. I'm guessing there should be some good hotel rates. Winter isn't too cold in this part of Canada 🙂.

Table for 50 at ye olde Spitfire Grill, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Hi

no this was not a repositioning cruise, although I think it goes back to Canada after Japan and lots of people have booked B2B.

somebody mentioned that perhaps because there are a lot of bookings on this cruise they may have decided to close it for more bookings. 

surely this area will be open next April.

eileen

16 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

no this was not a repositioning cruise, although I think it goes back to Canada after Japan and lots of people have booked B2B.

somebody mentioned that perhaps because there are a lot of bookings on this cruise they may have decided to close it for more bookings. 

surely this area will be open next April.

eileen

Yes, that could be the reason. I'm not sure how Celebrity handles closed for bookings cruises.

I'd like to think we'll be open for cruise ships by April but realistically if the cruise lines can't get 2-3 months in the peak cruise season they aren't going to send their ships here. P&O, Carnival and Princess have usually operated some cruises out of Australian ports over our winter but all of the other lines only come here for the season. That usually finishes end of March or early April when cruising around NZ ceases as weather and sea conditions worsen.

• Like 2

Interestingly Silversea have cancelled their Australia/NZ season over the last few weeks, and have just released a whole new set of cruises from 21st December to February for Aust/NZ residents only.

Again subject to approval, but do they know something?

11 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Interestingly Silversea have cancelled their Australia/NZ season over the last few weeks, and have just released a whole new set of cruises from 21st December to February for Aust/NZ residents only.

That sounds similar to what RCI did. 

Signs like that do give a bit of hope. I'm sure there are some serious negotiations going on. Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Like other things that are supposed to happen over the next few month the decision may depend on vaccination levels.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Interesting that they haven't advised me.
We have a domestic cruise with them in January.
We are due to pay the balance next week, so we shall see.

This was announced by Chris Hipkins yesterday, regarding extending the pause in the Aus/NZ quarantine free travel bubble till late November. 

At the end it mentions maritime quarantine free travel which I imagine will relate to NZ cruises from Aus.  After all if we have to quarantine then we cannot visit for a day trip to their ports. 

He said that this would not be even considered until next year sometime.  I think some cruise lines are dreaming if they think the NZ cruises will go ahead in December.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/quarantine-free-travel-australia-remain-suspended-further-8-weeks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussie FF said:

Interesting that they haven't advised me.
We have a domestic cruise with them in January.
We are due to pay the balance next week, so we shall see.

On a book of faces page, people who had a cruise cancelled had first choice of booking the new ones, then opened to the public on Thursday, these are the new itineraries. Ignore the Kimberley ones, but the first 5 cruises are Australian based only

B69A54FB-A1C6-431E-ABA1-AB71E02CD2D6.png

Edited by gogo65
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

This was announced by Chris Hipkins yesterday, regarding extending the pause in the Aus/NZ quarantine free travel bubble till late November. 

At the end it mentions maritime quarantine free travel which I imagine will relate to NZ cruises from Aus.  After all if we have to quarantine then we cannot visit for a day trip to their ports. 

He said that this would not be even considered until next year sometime.  I think some cruise lines are dreaming if they think the NZ cruises will go ahead in December.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/quarantine-free-travel-australia-remain-suspended-further-8-weeks

As expected.

And I don't think the cruise lines are dreaming. I think they kept their NZ itineraries open in case the Australian outbreaks were contained and NZ decided to allow cruise ships in. My guess is either they'll change those itineraries to Australia-only ones or cancel them completely depending on what they are getting from our governments. That should start happening in the next week or so.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

As expected.

And I don't think the cruise lines are dreaming. I think they kept their NZ itineraries open in case the Australian outbreaks were contained and NZ decided to allow cruise ships in. My guess is either they'll change those itineraries to Australia-only ones or cancel them completely depending on what they are getting from our governments. That should start happening in the next week or so.

I’m hoping my Antartica cruise, that’s meant to be leaving from Dunedin, may leave from Hobart instead…one can dream right!!

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

I’m hoping my Antartica cruise, that’s meant to be leaving from Dunedin, may leave from Hobart instead…one can dream right!!

What ship? If it's one that already has permission to operate in NZ then it's unlikely to switch to Hobart. 

Also operating from Hobart would add about four days to the itinerary, two days each way crissong the Tasman.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What ship? If it's one that already has permission to operate in NZ then it's unlikely to switch to Hobart. 

Also operating from Hobart would add about four days to the itinerary, two days each way crissong the Tasman.

My son (Mr Chimu) tried to get his Antarctica expedition ships to operate from Hobart, but denied by the Government(s.)  Chile and Argentina are going to open up for Antarctic departures, but you have to get there first.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My son (Mr Chimu) tried to get his Antarctica expedition ships to operate from Hobart, but denied by the Government(s.)  Chile and Argentina are going to open up for Antarctic departures, but you have to get there first.

In early 2022, that may be much easier than having any cruise ships ( or expedition ships) leaving from Australia.

• Like 1

I can see Tasmania....   with a sign saying closed   until 2022 some time...

With the way things are going.......

So tomorrow cancel our celebration trip to Tassie........

And will not be planning anything else......   as having been shut down too many time now...

and wish to avoid any more disappointment..

39 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Princess must be either playing games or know something no-one else does (as if) as I just got notification that final payment for my December cruise is due in a couple of weeks. Would prefer to know exactly what's happening before I pay up though,😀

I got one too. I imagine it's automatically generated so aren't getting my hopes up too high. Like you, we won't be paying unless there is confirmation that the cruise will take place.

But wouldn't it be wonderful if it does. 🤔😁

• Like 4

Many of us are double vaccinated and want to get on with our lives.

Frustrating but pleasing to read live cruise reports happening now in other parts of the world.

If having both vaccine doses is still not enough to allow travel out of Australia what more is required?

By the time travel is permitted we will likely need a third dose or booster which given the current rate of rollout means waiting longer.

Some have given up booking overseas or interstate trips. 

At least we can travel along reading the live reports and dream.  

7 hours ago, pully8 said:

Many of us are double vaccinated and want to get on with our lives.

Frustrating but pleasing to read live cruise reports happening now in other parts of the world.

If having both vaccine doses is still not enough to allow travel out of Australia what more is required?

By the time travel is permitted we will likely need a third dose or booster which given the current rate of rollout means waiting longer.

Some have given up booking overseas or interstate trips. 

At least we can travel along reading the live reports and dream.  

Once people of all ages have had the opportunity to get both jabs would be fair. The gov has put that at 80% of  people aged 16 and over, personally I think it should  be those aged 12 and over to be safer. In any case, we should be there by Xmas.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Once people of all ages have had the opportunity to get both jabs would be fair. The gov has put that at 80% of  people aged 16 and over, personally I think it should  be those aged 12 and over to be safer. In any case, we should be there by Xmas.

At the NSW news conference yesterday they said that already 17% of 12-15 year olds have had their first covid jab so it looks promising that we will have a high degree of vaccination in that age group.

• Like 2

Wonder how the 20% who are not vaccinated by the time the mandated 80% vaccinated will be managed?

Some may be content never to step foot on a plane or cruise ship or travel.

Meanwhile those of us double vaxxed wait to go forward with our life plans.

Terrible scenes in Melbourne very sad.

Cannot see it ending well.

Old enough to remember events in other places.

Most people just want to work, provide for their family and live a peaceful life for as long as they can. Tragic.