Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No local weekly farmers markets either? 

Even in Lane Cove we're now down to one greengrocer, in Lane Cove West. However it's a very popular greengrocer and I guess there are enough people here who are prepared to pay a bit extra for fresh produce. Actually since there is less wastage from the produce going rotten too quickly like the supermarket stuff it probably ends up being not much more expensive.

There is a weekly farmers market at Moruya (35 km south) every Saturday, Country market.  Gets big crowds. The odd little farmers market has spring up around here, but they don't seem to last long.  Corrigans Markets at Batehaven sets up every fortnight, selling the usual junk but now and again a stall appears selling home made sauces, chutneys, jams, honey etc and tomatoes sometimes.

You have the population up there in Lane Cove and the income stream to go with it. Different economic situation here, Aldi and Dan Murphys are the most popular retailers in town, lol.

Edited by NSWP

There’s a report on the Royal Caribbean forum by someone currently on Ovation.

I am currently on the Ovation on the last Alaska cruise.  The crew has been told that they will be sent home later this month and will return to Ovation in January for sailings out of Australia.  They just received this INFO two days ago.  

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I am currently on the Ovation on the last Alaska cruise.  The crew has been told that they will be sent home later this month and will return to Ovation in January for sailings out of Australia.  They just received this INFO two days ago.  

A glimmer of hope, Graham GBenjo roll out the red carpet old son...

gettyimages-185272316-612x612.jpg.af2d538e4ec032880a41c5e2aec5ea7f.jpg

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

This is how rumours start.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I guess there are enough people here who are prepared to pay a bit extra for fresh produce. 

Our greengrocers are the opposite, they are way cheaper than the major supermarkets. People here shop at them because you can save up to 70% on some produce😂. Though I also like they have more variety of fruit and veg. They sell things I have never seen at the supermarkets. 

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

There is a weekly farmers market at Moruya (35 km south) every Saturday, Country market.  Gets big crowds. The odd little farmers market has spring up around here, but they don't seem to last long.  Corrigans Markets at Batehaven sets up every fortnight, selling the usual junk but now and again a stall appears selling home made sauces, chutneys, jams, honey etc and tomatoes sometimes.

You have the population up there in Lane Cove and the income stream to go with it. Different economic situation here, Aldi and Dan Murphys are the most popular retailers in town, lol.

Yes, and both the main shopping malls in Chatswood have greengrocers plus the Asian stores stock Asian greens etc. Also there are a lot of Harris Farm Market stores around Sydney. Their produce is usually quite good.

It is hard for smaller towns once the big supermarkets take over. Too many people just look at the cheaper prices, and that's OK for bigger families where there is less wastage, but it's not necessarily cheaper for couples or singles.

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Our greengrocers are the opposite, they are way cheaper than the major supermarkets. People here shop at them because you can save up to 70% on some produce😂. Though I also like they have more variety of fruit and veg. They sell things I have never seen at the supermarkets. 

What suburb?

Yes, and both the main shopping malls in Chatswood have greengrocers plus the Asian stores stock Asian greens etc. Also there are a lot of Harris Farm Market stores around Sydney. Their produce is usually quite good.

It is hard for smaller towns once the big supermarkets take over. Too many people just look at the cheaper prices, and that's OK for bigger families where there is less wastage, but it's not necessarily cheaper for couples or singles.

Re Harris Farm, my son says they are coming into Lane Cove?

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Re Harris Farm, my son says they are coming into Lane Cove?

Yes, where the old Coles used to be. That will make four within easy reach of our place. The others are Chatswood, Boronia Park and Drummoyne. They have a great selection of cheeses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, where the old Coles used to be. That will make four within easy reach of our place. The others are Chatswood, Boronia Park and Drummoyne. They have a great selection of cheeses.

You are blessed with fine shops in your area.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

What suburb?

Still in the covid hot zone of Bankstown☣️😉. We have a whole street of greengrocers. Shopping centre has two and still way cheaper than the supermarket, another shopping centre next to Aldi has another two greengrocers and a little arcade has a tiny greengrocer that always has baby spinach and rocket $10 per kilo less than everywhere else. We are awash with greengrocers😜 With such a dense population it perhaps creates competition for the greengrocers so they can offer such low prices. 

Wow you have a lot of Harris Farms in your area 😲. The closest one I use to have was about 20km from me, on my driving route but it shut down years ago which was a pity as I agree they had a great cheese collection. Also loved the Kestrel Potatoes which they seem to have a monopoly on. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

You are blessed with fine shops in your area.

We are indeed. Although Lane Cove no longer has a fish shop. Poseidon's Catch takeways at Lane Cove West sells a very limited range of fresh seafood otherwise we have to go into Chatswood or to the Fish Markets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We are indeed. Although Lane Cove no longer has a fish shop. Poseidon's Catch takeways at Lane Cove West sells a very limited range of fresh seafood otherwise we have to go into Chatswood or to the Fish Markets.

We need this bloke back...Con the Fruiterer, Booooodifuuuul.

th.jpg.56980acb8b74ff4add0cd89bb28eab4d.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Still in the covid hot zone of Bankstown☣️😉. We have a whole street of greengrocers. Shopping centre has two and still way cheaper than the supermarket, another shopping centre next to Aldi has another two greengrocers and a little arcade has a tiny greengrocer that always has baby spinach and rocket $10 per kilo less than everywhere else. We are awash with greengrocers😜 With such a dense population it perhaps creates competition for the greengrocers so they can offer such low prices. 

Wow you have a lot of Harris Farms in your area 😲. The closest one I use to have was about 20km from me, on my driving route but it shut down years ago which was a pity as I agree they had a great cheese collection. Also loved the Kestrel Potatoes which they seem to have a monopoly on. 

More likely a demographic that does a lot of home cooking so high turnover of the produce which means they can lower their profit margins.

I haven't tried Kestrel potatoes, I must look out for them next time we go there.

The Drummoyne and Chatswood Harris Farms both have a butcher and fish shop in the same building. The Drummoyne one is a bit tricky to get to, and we'd forgotten about the Chatswood one until yesterday. We usually go to the Boronia Park one.

• Like 1

Harris Farms offers home delivery as does FruitEzy. I think there's a FruitEzy in the Chatswood area? They're not the cheapest but last alot longer than Coles/Woolies and have a great range of leafy greens, salads and herbs. We used to go to the Miranda one before COVID and we've now transitioned to their home delivery service.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

Harris Farms offers home delivery as does FruitEzy. I think there's a FruitEzy in the Chatswood area? They're not the cheapest but last alot longer than Coles/Woolies and have a great range of leafy greens, salads and herbs. We used to go to the Miranda one before COVID and we've now transitioned to their home delivery service.  

Yes, both the Chatswood greengrocers are FruitEzy, one in each of the major shopping malls. Their stuff is OK, better than the supermarkets definitely, but still not as good as our local, Figtree Greengrocer. We are very, very lucky to have that one nearby. Unfortunately they don't deliver but they aren't in a big shopping centre so don't get too crowded except on Saturday mornings. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, both the Chatswood greengrocers are FruitEzy, one in each of the major shopping malls. Their stuff is OK, better than the supermarkets definitely, but still not as good as our local, Figtree Greengrocer. We are very, very lucky to have that one nearby. Unfortunately they don't deliver but they aren't in a big shopping centre so don't get too crowded except on Saturday mornings. 

I think when I visit my son next, god knows when, I will purchase a box of your Lane Cove Fruit and Veges to bring home. The stuff from Woollies I get is ordinary, local IGA does better.

Better still, he can bring a box down to me, lol.🍈🍌🍏

Edited by NSWP

Here is a new ways to encourage people in QLD to get the jab.😁 They need to get their vaccine rate up for the borders to open for Christmas. 🤞

FBdNKr9VIAMcE9j.thumb.jpg.ad5f703a5e423dd7d5fc7e78c2f6e3e6.jpg

"From this Saturday, Queenslanders grabbing a snag at Bunnings will be able to get a COVID-19 jab at the same time." ABC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I think when I visit my son next, god knows when, I will purchase a box of your Lane Cove Fruit and Veges to bring home. The stuff from Woollies I get is ordinary, local IGA does better.

Better still, he can bring a box down to me, lol.🍈🍌🍏

Do, it's really good quality stuff.

Next time we come down your way I'll bring you some. Lots of garlic, right?

Just kidding! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I haven't tried Kestrel potatoes, I must look out for them next time we go there.

Hopefully they still sell them. My last Harris Farm visit was about three years, happen to be in an area they serve and thought I check if they still had some of the products I liked and there were still the Kestrels conveniently at the front too. I really stocked up that day😜

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Here is a new ways to encourage people in QLD to get the jab.😁 They need to get their vaccine rate up for the borders to open for Christmas. 🤞

FBdNKr9VIAMcE9j.thumb.jpg.ad5f703a5e423dd7d5fc7e78c2f6e3e6.jpg

"From this Saturday, Queenslanders grabbing a snag at Bunnings will be able to get a COVID-19 jab at the same time." ABC

They are going slow on the jabs because they don't want to open the border, lol.

I trust the snags and trimmings are covid free.

839205502_th(2).jpg.9bdafaf093ee93b5a8a0896761a974ce.jpg

Edited by NSWP

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yeah some great cheeses and their reject fruit and vege (do they call them rejects imperfects or 2nds) are often way less $$$ but still great quality. We have a few farmers markets most weekends near us, and we can often get great value from road side stalls near farms, but miss the days when dad kept us in most fruit and vegetables in season out of his own garden, now days about all he keeps us in is mangoes, and thank goodness that time of year is getting close.

Small change if subject; the attached turned up on a group I am following  on the book of faces - is it true or false??
Some say it is a fake, others say it must be real as it has Cruise Critic in the title ……… but I can find no such story searching CC so, what do you think?

And who the heck is the bloke at the bottom & signature??

2695BC14-5B9E-4027-BD4C-69D967529C73.jpeg

Edited by Porky55