Westerdam now going to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico instead of Juneau, AK

Copper10-8

From Cruise Industry News:

Puerto Vallarta to Accommodate Westerdam

March 17, 2020

Holland America Line will now bring Westerdam to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, instead of Juneau, Alaska, according to a statement.

When the company announced a voluntary suspension of global cruise operations on March 13, the decision where to dock the Westerdam was re-assessed as part of a broader review of ships deployment during this period. The ship was not currently in service after departing Asia, where four cruises were cancelled.

Prior to arrival in Puerto Vallarta, Westerdam will clear U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and medical entry requirements in Honolulu, Hawaii, on March 16th and 17th. 

Westerdam departed from Manila, Philippines, on March 2, 2020, with no passengers. Aboard ship are 680 crew and 18 contract service staff, all of which tested negative for COVID-19 in mid-February. Upon arrival to Puerto Vallarta, the ship will have sailed for more than a month with no port calls.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Where is the Rotterdam (in PVR now) going to go?

As of right now, she's still there so unknown at this time. You can imagine the anxiety in the various cruise lines' ops rooms trying to find a layup location for a couple of hundred cruise ships

Keep an eye on Captain Albert's daily blog for updates as far as Rotterdam. He's currently on Rotterdam in PV 

https://www.captainalbert.com/17-m17-march-2020-puerto-vallarta-mexico-day-4-day-2-without-guests/

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

Any chance of a few ships doing a summer Mexican Riviera season in place of Alaska  ? 

I seriously doubt it. The climate is just not there for that until this mess subsides 

3 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I thought Mexico was not accepting cruise ships for the next five weeks?

I'm thinking the Westerdam, with her at sea for a month with only crew onboard and nobody testing positive, wouldn't really fall in that category.  Yes, she's a cruise ship, but she hasn't been used for that for a month.  Plus they could require the crew to stay onboard once there.

7 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm thinking the Westerdam, with her at sea for a month with only crew onboard and nobody testing positive, wouldn't really fall in that category.  Yes, she's a cruise ship, but she hasn't been used for that for a month.  Plus they could require the crew to stay onboard once there.

I'm not sure what the technical distinction is but when QM2 sailed from Fremantle to Southampton with just a handful of passengers she declared she was sailing not as a cruise ship but as a merchant ship.  Don't really know if there's a legal distinction there or if it was just to bring home the reality of the situation to those remaining pax who were declared medically unable to fly, that the services would be VERY limited.

If it is a real legal distinction, Westerdam should clearly qualify as a merchant ship and not a cruise ship.

Roy

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm not sure what the technical distinction is but when QM2 sailed from Fremantle to Southampton with just a handful of passengers she declared she was sailing not as a cruise ship but as a merchant ship.  Don't really know if there's a legal distinction there or if it was just to bring home the reality of the situation to those remaining pax who were declared medically unable to fly, that the services would be VERY limited.

If it is a real legal distinction, Westerdam should clearly qualify as a merchant ship and not a cruise ship.

Roy

Good point.  Maybe if the crew outnumbers the passengers, it's a merchant ship?  In the Westerdam's case, they only have crew onboard.

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

The last i heard Mexico has the virus why would anyone think they would allow passengers ? I’m really  hoping  to get our closed business is open in 30 days but not holding my breath. The whole thing is terrible and i hope they are doing the right thing. I would think  they would let them dock . It would be less expensive to wait there than Juno.

On 3/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, acis said:

The crew disembarked in Hawaii:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/17/breaking-news/cruise-ship-crew-disembarks-in-honolulu/

I bet they were really happy!

The latest news is that neither the crew or any passengers will be allowed to leave the ships (Maasdam and Westerdam) here in Honolulu. They will be refueled and supplies replenished.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, Copper10-8 said:

From Cruise Industry News:

Puerto Vallarta to Accommodate Westerdam

March 17, 2020

Holland America Line will now bring Westerdam to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, instead of Juneau, Alaska, according to a statement.

When the company announced a voluntary suspension of global cruise operations on March 13, the decision where to dock the Westerdam was re-assessed as part of a broader review of ships deployment during this period. The ship was not currently in service after departing Asia, where four cruises were cancelled.

Prior to arrival in Puerto Vallarta, Westerdam will clear U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and medical entry requirements in Honolulu, Hawaii, on March 16th and 17th. 

Westerdam departed from Manila, Philippines, on March 2, 2020, with no passengers. Aboard ship are 680 crew and 18 contract service staff, all of which tested negative for COVID-19 in mid-February. Upon arrival to Puerto Vallarta, the ship will have sailed for more than a month with no port calls.

John, Thank you for the information.  I think cruise ships get a bad name. This virus came out of the interior of China--not the cruise industry.  I sailed on the Koningsdam as chaplain on the 22 of February.  I did the ten day cruise to the ABC Islands.  I disembarked on Wednesday and came back here on Friday.  I went to a K of C  Fish fry at the parish where I reside.  People worried if I was okay since I had been on a ship.   I reminded them I was sailing  in the Caribbean and not the Far East. Then some said my remark was not PC.  But it was the truth. 

• Like 1