for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 8/14/2020 at 9:42 AM, slidergirl said:

Another "yes" on those floating shelves!  Looks right in line with the rest of the stove setup.  I do like the tiles - usually I'm a tile hater, but it's the counter tiles that I can't stand (had the now-ex promise to take them OUT of my old kitchen within 6 months of buying the house we had).  Those subway tiles on the wall are nice.  I see the countertops are a dark color - what material?

Yes, we get hot up here.  When I moved here in 1988, we stayed usually in upper 70s/low 80s most of the summer, with maybe one week or so in August that got in the upper 80s.  So. most "normal folk" houses didn't put in A/C, but did ceiling fans.  But, in the past couple of years that has changed.   As some say, well, at least it's a dry heat 😉   And, geologically, the Salt Lake Valley is considered a high desert.  So, it gets in the 100s quite a bit in the summer.  At least in the Winter, it doesn't feel as cold as the thermometer says, at least to me.  The low humidity keeps that biting cold away and gives us our dry, fluffy powder snow that people pay tens of thousands of dollars to bring they family to ski for a week.  

Oh - Garnet Hill is having another Eileen Fisher sale right now.  The stretch crepe and ponte pants are on sale, as is my favorite pleated wool dress.  

I was a bad girl last night.  I had a serious hankering for pizza.  I ordered from my favorite spot my favorite pizza they have: light alfredo, ricotta, mozzarella, provolone and then drizzled with a balsamic reduction.  They only have one size: HUGE.  So, I have pizza for 4 more meals!!  And, I also got a nice house salad for the veggies.  After 2 "meh" dinners, I just had to take a chance on a known quantity for dinner.  

Hi Kat,   we did a quartz concrete look on the perimeter counters & marble on the island, the quartz is pretty much indestructible which is nice.  I saw the Eileen Fisher sale, there is a dress I like, the organic cotton jersey round neck, but part of me can't be bothered to buy work clothes...but I probably just should do it...  I just feel apathetic about so many things lately .

Pizza, sounds so good, I can't remember the last time I ate pizza :)  stay cool & safe ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 tablespoon olive oil.

1 yellow onion.  ( i used any onion that I had.  Even a red onion)

1 carrot chopped. (I shredded one)

1 celery rib, chopped

1 small red bell pepper. chopped

4 cloves of minced garlic

60 OZ (4 cans) black beans, rinsed and drained. I used low sodium.

32 oz of chicken broth (I used low sodium)

1/2 tablespoon ground cumin.  You can use more or less to your taste.

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I did not use)

1 tablespoon fresh line juice

1/4 chopped cilantro

In a large pot, heat the oil and add onion, carrot, celery and red pepper.  Cook until vegies are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until soft.

2. Stir in the black bean (you might want to put some into a food processed with some of the broth to mash them to make the soup thicker, then add to the pot.  Add broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and pepper.  cook on low for 25 minutes.  When done remove bay leaf. 

3. Stir in lime juice (if you want to use it)  top with cilantro.

Hi, your recipe sounds delicious!😀

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 tablespoon olive oil.

1 celery rib, chopped

1 bay leaf

1/4 chopped cilantro

In a large pot, heat the oil and add onion, carrot, celery and red pepper.  Cook until vegies are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until soft.

2. Stir in the black bean (you might want to put some into a food processed with some of the broth to mash them to make the soup thicker, then add to the pot.  Add broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and pepper.  cook on low for 25 minutes.  When done remove bay leaf. 

What????  Are you saying I have to get off my lazy butt and cook for myself??  :classic_tongue:

Seriously though, that recipe looks like one that I used to have and that I made fairly often, although I don't recall the lime juice. I'll give it a try. 

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2020 at 4:41 AM, awhfy said:

Well the backsplash for the kitchen that has been on order since April has been discontinued & my order cancelled. I’m bummed; it took me months to decide on that one. I’ll likely just go with sea glass subway tiles now. Debbie, I really like the floating shelves on the white subway tile & your range hood.

our son & family staying at Stanley Hotel (location of The Shining). They went ghost hunting last night (safely) Melody

196F9486-FE80-4687-A0D3-25CBDF694612.jpeg

1B395A7D-85B3-454E-BEC7-A5AC6ADB649D.jpeg

DCB32556-E902-4FF3-B54C-54799A725FF6.jpeg

Melody, how fun for them!  & sorry about your infection, that's no fun :(

• Like 1

LOL....yes, cooking for oneself can be challenging.  I love the look of that recipe but I have a feeling I would have 

enough soup to last me a week.

• Like 1

Cynthia & Lois, glad I'm not the only one sick of cooking !

Cynthia, regarding your house numbers, so far everything I've bought at Etsy has been good quality :)

Hi Sally & Sharon :)   

Geo cruiser, that recipe sounds great, I'm going to save it for cooler weather

Well, gotta get back to work 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

LOL....yes, cooking for oneself can be challenging.  I love the look of that recipe but I have a feeling I would have 

enough soup to last me a week.

That's my problem.  If I cook up a batch of something that isn't good if I make the thing smaller, I put it in the fridge.  But, then, I have to eat it again and sometimes I just can't eat the same thing in a week.  So, then if I can, I'll freeze it.  2 years later, I remember I have it...  

I don't mind eating the same thing twice in a week. That really doesn't bother me.  I just know a large pot of soup?

It would be enough to put much of it in the freezer....then I would have to remember it was there LOL....so I agree

with you on that point.

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 tablespoon olive oil.

1 celery rib, chopped

1 bay leaf

1/4 chopped cilantro

That looks fabulous!  I’ve printed it for next week!!!  We have two older gentlemen in our neighborhood & when I make soups like this I take them big containers. They enjoy it when I cook.  

Edited by awhfy

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

That looks fabulous!  I’ve printed it for next week!!!  We have two older gentlemen in our neighborhood & when I make soups like this I take them big containers. They enjoy it when I cook.  

I have never added the lime.  some times I make a half batch.  I do freeze all my soups and then we use them for lunch.  I will getting a new upright freezer this month. The one have have is a smaller size and I could use extra room in the freezer.  I cook every day.  I always have.

Oh, I don't cook every day..........I do enjoy new recipes sometimes and would make that soup in the winter. Just

too hot here in the summer for it. (For me anyway).

I made ribs last night. Too many for one dinner so I will have leftovers........I love them depending on the dish.

• Like 2

I’m making chicken caprese for dinner (my way). Couple of thick Boneless chicken breasts grilled in a balsamic vinegar. Put in baking dish. Cover with thick slice of tomato & thick slices of mozzarella broil till cheese is melty & tomato is warm (not long). Plate, drizzle with balsamic vinegar & top with a couple of sprigs of basil. I’ll have mine over baby spinach. Les will have his with mashed potatoes. Nice PInot Grigio for me ( Les will have Crown Peach & ginger. I’m looking forward to dinner. Melody

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Melody, that chicken caprese sounds DELICIOUS😀

Ended up having a huge rainstorm so my chicken will be tomorrow, darn I was looking forward to it

thats rain over the sidewalk that has an18” gutter. No grilling today!

A4126008-D29E-438F-9AF5-19865A7C26AC.jpeg

5A338385-4935-4945-BCB3-DC9023C8AEBC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Ended up having a huge rainstorm so my chicken will be tomorrow, darn I was looking forward to it

thats rain over the sidewalk that has an18” gutter. No grilling today!

A4126008-D29E-438F-9AF5-19865A7C26AC.jpeg

5A338385-4935-4945-BCB3-DC9023C8AEBC.jpeg

Wow!   we could use some of that :)  woke up to ash all over our cars & smoke in the air, yuck...  they are all quite far from us, but it's super windy (& hot)  so stuff is blowing our way.    

Hi girls,  Melody.....wow, that looks like heavy/big rain drops! 

I went to a local seafood place for dinner (I brought it home).....grilled Mahi with a salad, small applesauce and 

hush puppies.  I don't remember the last time I ate anything fried but decided to eat those puppies.........OMG........

delicious.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, Lois R said:

Oh, I don't cook every day..........I do enjoy new recipes sometimes and would make that soup in the winter. Just

too hot here in the summer for it. (For me anyway).

I made ribs last night. Too many for one dinner so I will have leftovers........I love them depending on the dish.

Lois in hot weather like this, I rely on our outdoor bbq,  even with AC on I just don't want the heat of the oven or stove adding to things....   I plan on making that soup when it gets cooler.      & oh, I love ribs!

• Like 1

Man, that rain must not have come from the West - we're dry as a bone.  We could use a good downpour like that!

When I went to Whole Foods yesterday, at the meat counter, the big-a$$ brined pork chops called to me.  Now, I do not usually like big, fat chops - I like the thin ones that I can broil to a crisp.  But, for reasons unknown to me, I ended up buying 2 of them.  I swear they are each 1 1/2" fat!!!  It just happened that someone I know on FB had posted his dinner last night and it was BRINED PORK CHOPS!!!  So, I got his "recipe" and had at it tonight.  Wow.  Surprisingly tender and juicy.  And, I could taste the lemon pepper I put in them.  I made up some roasted asparagus and, since I had mushrooms, a quick sauté and finished in half&half.  I have enough chop left for 3 meals!!!  I could only eat 1/2 of one.   And, the whole process only takes about 20 minutes start to finish.  So, not a big production.  

Outside of dinner, I didn't do much today.  Too hot to do much.  I was going to take a little drive, but there are 2 fires up where I wanted to drive, so that blew that up.  The other one would be way too crowded with people coming up from the Valley to try to get out of their heat (when it's 94 up here, it's still cooler than 104 down there).  

OOTD:  back to the gray hoodie minidress.  I'm washing one of them every other day!!!

• Like 1

Spent the afternoon cleaning the house. One of the things I am bemoaning is not having my cleaner come regularly. Since I am still "working" full hours from home, it means I have to use the weekends for big cleaning chores. So. Much. Fun.

If this had been a normal year, I also would've been on a cruise right now from Copenhagen to Boston with stops in Greenland and Iceland.

I am not a very happy or cheerful camper today!  :classic_angry:

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Man, that rain must not have come from the West - we're dry as a bone.  We could use a good downpour like that!

When I went to Whole Foods yesterday, at the meat counter, the big-a$$ brined pork chops called to me.  Now, I do not usually like big, fat chops - I like the thin ones that I can broil to a crisp.  But, for reasons unknown to me, I ended up buying 2 of them.  I swear they are each 1 1/2" fat!!!  It just happened that someone I know on FB had posted his dinner last night and it was BRINED PORK CHOPS!!!  So, I got his "recipe" and had at it tonight.  Wow.  Surprisingly tender and juicy.  And, I could taste the lemon pepper I put in them.  I made up some roasted asparagus and, since I had mushrooms, a quick sauté and finished in half&half.  I have enough chop left for 3 meals!!!  I could only eat 1/2 of one.   And, the whole process only takes about 20 minutes start to finish.  So, not a big production.  

Outside of dinner, I didn't do much today.  Too hot to do much.  I was going to take a little drive, but there are 2 fires up where I wanted to drive, so that blew that up.  The other one would be way too crowded with people coming up from the Valley to try to get out of their heat (when it's 94 up here, it's still cooler than 104 down there).  

OOTD:  back to the gray hoodie minidress.  I'm washing one of them every other day!!!

Good morning,  Kat, that pork chop sounds totally AWESOME😀........I love chops, thick, thin, medium........whatever size!

I never use a brine though.  They say it helps immensely with flavor but not something I ever do. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Spent the afternoon cleaning the house. One of the things I am bemoaning is not having my cleaner come regularly. Since I am still "working" full hours from home, it means I have to use the weekends for big cleaning chores. So. Much. Fun.

If this had been a normal year, I also would've been on a cruise right now from Copenhagen to Boston with stops in Greenland and Iceland.

You deserve an adult beverage or 5 today...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  Kat, that pork chop sounds totally AWESOME😀........I love chops, thick, thin, medium........whatever size!

I never use a brine though.  They say it helps immensely with flavor but not something I ever do. 

I never had a brined pork chop before this.  I will say it was very tender.  Can't say it helped with the flavor, though. I assume that is dependent on what you put in your brine.  I always do my chops with lemon pepper, and I could taste that. 

I forgot how much I like my sautéed mushrooms.  So easy, and lowcarb (but the butter and half&half does add fat).  One carton of sliced Baby Bellas, 2 Tbl butter, and maybe 1/4 -1/3 cup half&half (I pour until I think it's enough).  I did season with my TJ's Everyday Seasoning and a little thyme.  I could have made that just my meal!!  But, I have enough to use again for dinner.  If I have it in the cupboard, I'll add in a little cognac for flavor.  Sadly, I had none.  Those mushrooms go with anything.  

I'm off by a day - I could have sworn it was Saturday yesterday!!!   Today's forecast: HOT, 95 degrees.  At least the humidity is up a little to possibly 21% - better than the single digits we've had.  But, no rain on the horizon.   

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hear you on the cleaning, I miss our housekeeper so much :(   we are considering asking her if she would feel comfortable coming once a week while we are gone,  we could just leave & go walk or drive for 4 hours....there are some things that she did that are a complete mystery to me....

regarding the cancelled cruises,  I totally understand that as well,  it's tough to be trapped when you should be living a normal life...  I think what makes it more difficult is seeing people who are living a 'normal' life & pretending that this isn't happening :(  We're doing similar to you, only thing we do is grocery store, & occasional restaurant take out...  sometimes I drive by home goods just to see the outside of it...

On a happier note, I just used one of the refunds from one of our cruises to buy E-Bikes!   I've had my eye on them for several years now, & never pulled the trigger.   I was on a waiting list for when a new model was released,  & lo & behold, with the discount code, they add up to almost exactly the credit amount on one of cards :)

They probably won't arrive until October, but that's just in time for our 34th anniversary which clearly will not be as planned lol

• Like 1