for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

40 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, I thought the roll call was awesome as well.😀.......they did an excellent job and most of the people were

"normal citizens"..........very good concept and they pulled off a good production!

Hi Lois, I'm watching it right now,  I agree, they did a good job :)

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Kat. Cute Chacos!  I have the same Merrill’s, but mine are just blue

They came out last summer as a Limited Edition.  They showed up on my Facebook feed. After falling in a creek and soaking my Keen Ventilators, I had to get something waterproof!  I like how lightweight they are, not clunky at all.  

I wanted to get a pair of slides to just wear around the house and campgrounds (always with socks, though, my toe nerve issue won't let me go nude - have to protect that big toe).  When I saw the tie dye, these had to be bought!  

• Like 1

NOT POLITICAL:  My state was pretty blah.  Could have had gorgeous scenic backdrop from any of our National Parks and National Monuments.  But the county Mayor decided to just go outside of one of the county buildings and give her little blurb.   I did like seeing Sen. Carper from Delaware with the final tally at the train station where Biden took the train everyday to DC.  I got to meet Sen. Carper when he stayed at my one hotel a couple of times,  a very nice man.  He is taller than he looked there. 

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Many of you saw my tie-dye hiking boots that I bought last year (limited edition Merrell Chameleon Goretex).  Well the boots just new "friends" that I'll wear when I take off the boots!  Chaco Chillos.  I think my Old Hippie Lady title is secure with these.

I don't think my husband wears a shirt that's not tie dyed! We enjoy creating new tie dye projects, and as an added bonus, our six year old granddaughter enjoys it too. I get more complements every time I wear mine now and people can't believe I made it. Really, it's so easy and the unveiling is so much fun and the best part. You just never know what you're going to get.

• Like 2

I have a treasured tie dye T-shirt in my "T-shirt Museum" where I keep shirts I love but don't want to wear anymore to keep them from falling apart.  It's a T-shirt from 1992 Olympics.  The Lithuanian men's basketball team had T-shirts made for sale to help finance them.  They are tie-dye with a "Grateful Dead" dunking skeleton on the front and "Bronze Medal" on the back.  They sold for like $25 - I've seen them (the originals like mine) going for $55.  

NOT POLITICAL:  It was so heartwarming to see former Rep. Gabby Gifford speak last night.  I got to meet (and help out) her and her husband, Mark Kelly, last summer when they stayed at my hotel.  To see her walk pretty darn well and her speech was pretty clear was uplifting - she has improved a lot since last summer.  

Good news - we don't have the Excessive Heat Warning now.  We do have the Red Flag Warning, though.  It's clouded over today - maybe some showers, but they are warning about lightning.  Highs the next 5 days still in the upper 80s/low 90s.  Humidity is up a bit at 21%.   You know how it just feels like it's going to rain?  That's what it's like now.  

OOTD:  just a tank top and my running shorts.  Not going anywhere (again).  I've got my Asian salad with shrimp on the schedule for dinner.  

• Like 1

Hi girls,  I have some news.......I am getting new shower doors😀.  I had been thinking about this for a while

now and went to get some pricing from 2 local glass companies.   One came out about a week ago to measure

and the other came yesterday.  I decided instead of sliding doors I am going with one fixed (stays in place) and

the other is a regular door...handle and doors opens like a normal door😀.   I know the company who is doing

it quite well......they have been in business for over 40 years.  I still haven't decided on the new bed but I am getting

this new item for the shower.  It is supposed to be about 2 weeks before they do it.  I am looking forward to it!🙂

Tomorrow morning I go for a kidney ultrasound.  I have to drink 24 ounces of water beforehand........they said you

need a full bladder for everything to show correctly.  😲

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,  I have some news.......I am getting new shower doors😀.  I had been thinking about this for a while

now and went to get some pricing from 2 local glass companies.   One came out about a week ago to measure

and the other came yesterday.  I decided instead of sliding doors I am going with one fixed (stays in place) and

the other is a regular door...handle and doors opens like a normal door😀.   I know the company who is doing

it quite well......they have been in business for over 40 years.  I still haven't decided on the new bed but I am getting

this new item for the shower.  It is supposed to be about 2 weeks before they do it.  I am looking forward to it!🙂

Tomorrow morning I go for a kidney ultrasound.  I have to drink 24 ounces of water beforehand........they said you

Hi Lois, congrats on the new shower door :)    I really recommend that you ask for the glass to be sealed inside & out,  makes it super easy to keep it looking new.   I squeegee mine after showering & swipe it with a microfiber cloth, & it still looks brand new :)   just my two cents

Edit to add:  good luck on the scan (& getting in all that water)

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

We are having a bathroom remodel done as I write this --- the glass door we are getting is treated with something to resist spotting, etc. & it has a 10 year guarantee...make sure you get this done on your doors for easier cleaning.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I have a treasured tie dye T-shirt in my "T-shirt Museum" where I keep shirts I love but don't want to wear anymore to keep them from falling apart.  It's a T-shirt from 1992 Olympics.  The Lithuanian men's basketball team had T-shirts made for sale to help finance them.  They are tie-dye with a "Grateful Dead" dunking skeleton on the front and "Bronze Medal" on the back.  They sold for like $25 - I've seen them (the originals like mine) going for $55.  

NOT POLITICAL:  It was so heartwarming to see former Rep. Gabby Gifford speak last night.  I got to meet (and help out) her and her husband, Mark Kelly, last summer when they stayed at my hotel.  To see her walk pretty darn well and her speech was pretty clear was uplifting - she has improved a lot since last summer.  

Good news - we don't have the Excessive Heat Warning now.  We do have the Red Flag Warning, though.  It's clouded over today - maybe some showers, but they are warning about lightning.  Highs the next 5 days still in the upper 80s/low 90s.  Humidity is up a bit at 21%.   You know how it just feels like it's going to rain?  That's what it's like now.  

OOTD:  just a tank top and my running shorts.  Not going anywhere (again).  I've got my Asian salad with shrimp on the schedule for dinner.  

Hi Kat,  I've been recording the convention & then watching the next day, looking forward to Pres. O's speech :)    Hopefully you won't have fires, keeping my fingers crossed for you..   & your special tiedye tee sounds cool :)

We are still in the grip of this awful heat & humidity wave... yuck!  Been doing my running later at night as it's so hot,  & this morning, someone posted a pic of a mountain lion on the street/hill I was on last night:classic_ohmy:  I know we have quite a few bobcats, but have to say, mountain lions scare me a bit...  going to start taking my mace with me again :)

27 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Kat,  I've been recording the convention & then watching the next day, looking forward to Pres. O's speech 🙂    Hopefully you won't have fires, keeping my fingers crossed for you..   & your special tiedye tee sounds cool 🙂

We are still in the grip of this awful heat & humidity wave... yuck!  Been doing my running later at night as it's so hot,  & this morning, someone posted a pic of a mountain lion on the street/hill I was on last night:classic_ohmy:  I know we have quite a few bobcats, but have to say, mountain lions scare me a bit...  going to start taking my mace with me again 🙂

Buy a "bear bell" - they sell them at REI.  Now, I cannot tell you if they work, but since I've had mine (I actually got mine at MEC in Calgary) I have not encountered a bear...  We've got some mt. lions around here, too.  

Are you getting any of the smoke from the fires inland or is the wind blowing East?  I can't believe all the wildfires going on in California.  Sharon - how are you doing up North?  It's starting to look like it was when the Napa/Sonoma fires hit a few years ago.  I'm a little afraid to go out camping right now with the heat and Red Flag warnings - the other week, rangers and volunteers had to go out and find campers and hikers to evacuate them from the last fire.  

I won't say any more about the DNC last night.  I was just so happy to see Rep. Gifford looking so much better that I had to post.  

Hi Kat, yes, we had smoke & ash, mainly last weekend,  my allergies/mild asthma keep kicking in, leading me to say,  Covid, is that you ???

I'll look into the bear bell, but I do like my mace,  I don't take it when it stays light late, but now that i't pretty much dark before 8 I need to get in the habit of putting it on :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, yes, the doors will be treated as well.......I will be getting a  squeegee anyway🙂

Kat, I was glad to see her as well.......🙂

I'm sure she had to work hard to be able to walk that little distance and not look wobbly and without her cane.  

• Like 1

Hello all-had to catch up and there seems to be a lot going on! Kat, love the tie dye shoes. Must be fun wearing them and they will compliment just about any color clothing. About the fires and smoke. No fires near us but plenty of smoke. Outside it is sort of yellow brown and we also have unhealthy air warnings. Looks really nasty outside. So far we have not seen any ashes, just smoke. 

Debbie, I have “those days” frequently and it’s tough. I keep telling myself that it won’t go on forever but.....  Stay safe when running, those mountain lions could get the upper hand! Does the smoke bother you when you run? Here we are warned to avoid outside actives when possible so that is pretty depressing.

Lois, sending thoughts for good scan results. New shower doors, how nice! Your bathroom must really look nice with all the updates.

57redbird, a bathroom remodel, nice!

Melody, hope you are feeling much better now.

interesting to see how the Dem  convention was arranged to accommodate the virus limitations .  I think they did a nice job.

Well, I had a dentist appointment today so I did put on makeup and a little nicer outfit. Guess that is what it has come to-dressing up for a dental appointment!
Sharon

• Like 2

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm sure she had to work hard to be able to walk that little distance and not look wobbly and without her cane.  

Good morning, it is early here.......have to leave for my Ultra sound in a few minutes............

Yes, it must have taken her hard work......and last night? Brayden (the 13 year old)....his courage made me cry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

57redbird, a bathroom remodel, nice!

It was kind of a necessity --- hubby had ankle surgery in January & is looking at needing a total knee --- the shower was impossible for him to get in & out of so....now we have a low step entry tiled shower, new tile on the floor & the tub surround & a quartz countertop with 2 new undermount sinks.... have some minor things to repair -- workers aren't always as careful as we'd like them to be but overall, it's GREAT!

• Like 1

posting on the fly here, but Lois, that stinks :(   like you said, not life or death, but nowadays, it's nerve-racking to have medical people get something wrong, especially when you have to do a little prep ahead...  they should throw i a freebee, but I can't think of what....

Sharon, good to hear from you :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well,  the Imaging place entered the WRONG procedure........so I have to go back for this on Tuesday.

I was told to drink 24 ounces of water as they needed me to have a full bladder.........well, I drink it of course. I get to

the place and of course my system is now wanting to go.........

The next thing I know the gal at reception calls me and says I could go ahead and use the bathroom.....I say to her

Are you sure? They told me specifically I could not pee before this ultrasound..........then, a manager comes up to

me and said they have 2 types of ultrasounds and the one I am supposed to get is on an EMPTY bladder and a fast.

I said, so you all had the order but entered it incorrectly?..........yep.  I said well, they told me I could use the restroom

(I did) but she was concerned I may have some water left............so we now rescheduled it for Tuesday morning.

I can't remember if they even apologized.........I know people make mistakes (raising my hand here)......but this 

was a pretty bad error.......thankfully it was not life or death though.

Ok...thanks for listening to my vent.

Lois - I'm sorry the appointment went sideways.  It's always irritating when you do what you are told and then you hear "no no, it's the other way).  

We're getting some of the smoke from California up here now.  It happens every fire season.  I can usually look out my back patio door and clearly see the mountains 3 miles away.  Today, it's all hazy and I can't see them.  But, it is disconcerting - everyone starts wondering where the fire is locally.  Fortunately (knock on wood) our fires locally have been handled quickly.  But, it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop - we feel like a big one is coming sometime.  Not a good time to be outside around here - I can only imagine what it's like in California. 

I made shrimp last night to put in my Asian salad.  Cooked them in my fry pan and then just let them sit in some of my pepper sauce for a little and then took them out of the pepper sauce.  They are the Argentina Red Shrimp from Trader Joe's.  Frozen.  There were a good size shrimp.  And, they were very good.  I'll be picking up more on Monday (have dentist appt down in SLC).  To me, they were as good as the shrimp I pick up from the seafood counter at Whole Foods.   Shrimp have a lot of protein but virtually no carbs, so I'm trying to up my intake. Just don't douse them in too much sauce.   I mourn my Shrimp & 
Grits...

NOT POLITICAL:  Some very uplifting things last night. The 13 year old boy.   And, damn, The Man made me cry.  

• Like 1

Well...after a decade of being renters...that season is officially closed now. We are all moved out of the apt...keys turned in etc. Kind of emotional for me...not necessarily bad...just emotional. Anyway...I needed a pick me up. And sooooooo...since we had reason to go to Merritt Island...I decided to go tryout the Tiny Turtle!!!

@slidergirl Kat...this is for you...

7003-BF41-967-E-44-D4-BF64-FFB3136-C7-E1

We went at a totally off time. Almost 3:00 which is a pretty late lunch, but it took a while to finish out the apt. There's a big tent stand thing with the menu on it. Call her and she will come out with her mobile order thing and take your order. We decided to eat at one of the shady tables outside, so she served us...and brought us real forks.

Gave the Mexican brand soda a try...really yummy:

149689-BA-D998-4232-8-FCF-AD2027-DCA4-C5

And the SOFRITO BOWL!!! I got chicken. DH got the port. They looked exactly the same...here's mine:

516-D2-F00-E5-A5-4181-8-DB8-4-A4-A85-B27

OMG Kat...SO GOOD. We ordered larges so that we could easily save room for dessert next door while having enough left overs for another meal...so we headed next door...

7-B300257-0-EEC-4-F74-B3-F5-DAF7-D22-D8-

DH got Dolce de Leche...no surprise to anyone who knows him. I got the Mai Kai Coconut...WOW...

B66-D9-AF6-0-AC1-4426-9-CDD-15-EEFD85-E8

And I just want to say a big thank you for this recommendation...because it was just what the doctor ordered today. Odd things, emotions, but being officially done with the apt was very sad for me. I was cleaning yesterday and bawled...got done today and cried. Just one of those things I guess. But this little outing was great...and we had a beautiful afternoon for it.

Hope these photos bring back good memories!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

Well...after a decade of being renters...that season is officially closed now. We are all moved out of the apt...keys turned in etc. Kind of emotional for me...not necessarily bad...just emotional. Anyway...I needed a pick me up. And sooooooo...since we had reason to go to Merritt Island...I decided to go tryout the Tiny Turtle!!!

@slidergirl Kat...this is for you...

7003-BF41-967-E-44-D4-BF64-FFB3136-C7-E1

We went at a totally off time. Almost 3:00 which is a pretty late lunch, but it took a while to finish out the apt. There's a big tent stand thing with the menu on it. Call her and she will come out with her mobile order thing and take your order. We decided to eat at one of the shady tables outside, so she served us...and brought us real forks.

Gave the Mexican brand soda a try...really yummy:

149689-BA-D998-4232-8-FCF-AD2027-DCA4-C5

And the SOFRITO BOWL!!! I got chicken. DH got the port. They looked exactly the same...here's mine:

516-D2-F00-E5-A5-4181-8-DB8-4-A4-A85-B27

OMG Kat...SO GOOD. We ordered larges so that we could easily save room for dessert next door while having enough left overs for another meal...so we headed next door...

7-B300257-0-EEC-4-F74-B3-F5-DAF7-D22-D8-

DH got Dolce de Leche...no surprise to anyone who knows him. I got the Mai Kai Coconut...WOW...

B66-D9-AF6-0-AC1-4426-9-CDD-15-EEFD85-E8

And I just want to say a big thank you for this recommendation...because it was just what the doctor ordered today. Odd things, emotions, but being officially done with the apt was very sad for me. I was cleaning yesterday and bawled...got done today and cried. Just one of those things I guess. But this little outing was great...and we had a beautiful afternoon for it.

Hope these photos bring back good memories!

I am so happy that you enjoyed the Tiny Turtle and Fat Donkey!   The Fat Donkey has put up  palapa there in front - it used to have no shade.  Now you have a spot to drop in on when you're in Cocoa Beach!   My friend's little cottage is 2 blocks south - it has an Atlantic address, but you enter for the cottage on Orlando.  So easy to walk there!!!  

sorry you were having a bad day.  I'm also one of those who cry at things like that - leaving a house, selling a beloved car.  I cried at the car dealer/mechanic the day my TT died and I didn't have the money to pay for a new engine.  I've turned in to an easy crier - ever cry during a job interview????   We all have those days.  I'm glad that my recommendations were good and made you happy!  Those photos DID bring back good memories!  My Mai Kai in a cone photo... Maybe next spring.  My friend is going back there the beginning of November for the Winter.  

IMG_0438.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well,  the Imaging place entered the WRONG procedure........so I have to go back for this on Tuesday.

I was told to drink 24 ounces of water as they needed me to have a full bladder.........well, I drink it of course. I get to

the place and of course my system is now wanting to go.........

The next thing I know the gal at reception calls me and says I could go ahead and use the bathroom.....I say to her

Are you sure? They told me specifically I could not pee before this ultrasound..........then, a manager comes up to

me and said they have 2 types of ultrasounds and the one I am supposed to get is on an EMPTY bladder and a fast.

I said, so you all had the order but entered it incorrectly?..........yep.  I said well, they told me I could use the restroom

(I did) but she was concerned I may have some water left............so we now rescheduled it for Tuesday morning.

I can't remember if they even apologized.........I know people make mistakes (raising my hand here)......but this 

was a pretty bad error.......thankfully it was not life or death though.

Ok...thanks for listening to my vent.

Wow!  That just sucks Lois!!!

• Like 1

Work is starting to crank up again, oh yay. :classic_dry:

This week DS and I got on a ramen kick. We ordered some different kinds of the noodles and various add-ins. We have created versions ranging from one step away from egg-drop soup (with ramen) to a pretty authentic tasting Tonkatsu ramen, to a very spicy version. Now I am ramen-ed out. Had a boring salad with grilled chicken for dinner, saved by a citrus poppy-seed dressing from Whole Foods.

By the way, my state is still in terrible shape, COVID-wise. It's starting to feel like things will never improve. I did discover a new series I'm enjoying: Agatha Raisin. British humor + a very independent-minded heroine + the Cotswolds. What more can I say?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Work is starting to crank up again, oh yay. :classic_dry:

This week DS and I got on a ramen kick. We ordered some different kinds of the noodles and various add-ins. We have created versions ranging from one step away from egg-drop soup (with ramen) to a pretty authentic tasting Tonkatsu ramen, to a very spicy version. Now I am ramen-ed out. Had a boring salad with grilled chicken for dinner, saved by a citrus poppy-seed dressing from Whole Foods.

By the way, my state is still in terrible shape, COVID-wise. It's starting to feel like things will never improve. I did discover a new series I'm enjoying: Agatha Raisin. British humor + a very independent-minded heroine + the Cotswolds. What more can I say?

Work, work, go away, let Cruise Mom play another day!!!

Ramen - I love ramen, but due to good old Diabetes, can only have it once in awhile.  Have you tried putting a slice of American Cheese on it yet?  It's something I saw in my Food & Wine.  Roy Choi, a big-time chef in LA and one of the founders of the food truck culture in LA does it.  He said it was a Korean thing.   If you do a search of "Roy Choi ramen", you find lots of entries with his recipe.  I love the soft egg in mine (some places it's poached, some places it's soft-boiled).  

The dressing from Whole Foods - was it in the refrigerated section or in the dressing aisle.  I'm always on the prowl for a dressing/marinade.  If you get to TJ's, check out the Spicy Peanut Dressing - it's the the section with the bagged salads/greens.  It works good on salads, on noodles, on chicken...

Still smoke in the air up here.  My headache from yesterday continues.  It's right above my surgically-repaired eye.  But, usually, when I get a headache like this one, it's always been above that eye.  The right side of my face is "unique", anyway - always gets the sinus infections, that ear always gets the infections, headaches are on that side.   

COVID-wise, my poor little town was doing so well.  We had a mask mandatory everywhere order.  BUT, some group of yahoos decided to have a party at some closed establishment the first week of August.  Between Aug 15-19, we had 54 confirmed cases, with 22 of them on the 19th.  That's the largest spike our little town has had since the beginning.  The yahoos are not cooperating with the contract tracers (don't want to rat out their friends).  5 of our restaurants had to close down again for deep cleaning because an employee at each tested out positive.  It really makes me angry.  One of my friends who is a teacher is spent the morning in line to get tested - she is not feeling well.  She started back at school on Wednesday.   Any ideas I had of maybe venturing out in town have evaporated.  The only good thing is that our County Health Officer is petitioning the Governor to allow us to keep the mandatory mask order in place until January 4.  That would take us through Christmas holiday, which is a HUGE time for skiers/riders/families to come to town.  I'm not holding my breath, though, that it'll get approved.  

That's all for today.  Everyone in CA - stay safe and don't go outside and breathe that air!  Those on the Gulf Coasts - double-check your hurricane "go" bags and be sure you have a wrench in a location where you can turn off the gas if you need to!  

• Like 1