Good travel reads or travel shows to watch now

cruisemom42

in 2009 we took an AMAZING Peter Dielmann River Cruise to the South of France and to prepare I read "Wine & War : The French. The Nazi's & The Battle for France's Greatest Treasure " by Donald & Petie Kladstrooup on the overnight flight from Newark to Paris ..Lagniappe we visited the main Family owned Winery that was featured in the book and was occupied by the German Army and were given the tour by actual family members (who were pre teens) at the time of the German Occupation ...Dielmann River Cruise Company was German owned (went bankrupt at the end of the sailing we were on) and there were 122 German Pensioners and 12 Americans on Board which added to the uniqueness of the excursion 

by reading the book I was able to have a greater appreciation of the tour and appreciated the 1st person narrative..Germany & France have a very strong connection to wine that superceeded the political climate and the German Army commander family had done business with the French Winery before the War and had a greater call of duty to know that they would restart business after the War...won't give away the crux of the book but the German Commander & the Owner of the Winery worked in partnership to ensure the best wines were hidden and never sent to Berlin by putting diluted vintage in expensive bottles

So I took the theme of the Original Poster to embrace reading books (as opposed to watching Travel Shows which is almost a quick cheat sheet) about cruise destinations you plan on visiting or are on your wish list which gives a greater clarity and excitement when and if you actually cruise there 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Lots of good suggestions for reads!  Our Library is closed.  👎

Sorry to hear that; my mom is in the same situation.  Luckily I have a well-stocked Kindle and can get new reads from my library even when it's closed. 

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry to hear that; my mom is in the same situation.  Luckily I have a well-stocked Kindle and can get new reads from my library even when it's closed. 

No Kindle or Nook for me, but I have a back up of books yet to be read.  While I have cut back on magazine subscriptions recently, I still receive sufficient magazines and journals to keep me "entertained".

And, of course, if I am really bored by such reading,  there is almost daily those "fascinating brochures and ads" from Oceania, Viking, and Regent Cruise Lines with some Cunard literature to add additional "spice".   

Here's a nicely curated list of travel books/stories, many of which have already made it onto this list:

https://www.greatbigstory.com/guides/best-books-around-the-world?xrs=CNNOUTBRAIN&dicbo=v1-8a42fa83f50f77f7e130c6424f314ccc-00b2d6c56fc76084821b9d05abf2f201d9-myzdmojsgztdiljrguyweljug5rtmljyg5sdcljxmi3tonddgnsgcnlfmu&hpt=ob_blogfooterold

Some books in this article I can also endorse are: The Good Earth (China), Anne of Green Gables (Prince Edward Island, Canada), Under the Tuscan Sun (Italy) and Memoirs of a Geisha (Japan).

"The Last Place on Earth" by Roland Huntford is an interesting read on Amundsen and Scott's race to the south pole.  Is somewhat controversial in how it treats Scott's failed expedition.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's a nicely curated list of travel books/stories, many of which have already made it onto this list:

https://www.greatbigstory.com/guides/best-books-around-the-world?xrs=CNNOUTBRAIN&dicbo=v1-8a42fa83f50f77f7e130c6424f314ccc-00b2d6c56fc76084821b9d05abf2f201d9-myzdmojsgztdiljrguyweljug5rtmljyg5sdcljxmi3tonddgnsgcnlfmu&hpt=ob_blogfooterold

Some books in this article I can also endorse are: The Good Earth (China), Anne of Green Gables (Prince Edward Island, Canada), Under the Tuscan Sun (Italy) and Memoirs of a Geisha (Japan).

Thanks!  Enjoyed Driving Over Lemons and The Kite Runner.  Reminds me to read A Fine Balance!  

On 3/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, Essiesmom said:

Today I watched about 5 hours of Henry Louis Gates' Africa's Great Civilizations.  I just love historical documentaries.  Would have watched all of it but had to leave early to go to the commissary.  What a madhouse! 

Also, Hans Mateboer is a now retired captain for HAL.  He has written three books of anecdotes.  I bought all three on my Kindle.  Some anecdotes are informational, and some are downright hilarious.  Especially the one about the lifeboat drill while in drydock (wetdock).  This one is only $0.99 right now:  https://www.amazon.com/Captains-Quest-Hans-Mateboer-ebook/dp/B00DXNL000/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Hans+Mateboer&qid=1584837136&s=books&sr=1-10

EM

Thank you for this one.  I just bought his book "Captain's Log" on ebay.

I am also reminded that each time we did a Transatlantic, with some Med ports, I read at least one book on a city we would visit.  My favorites are "The Moon, Come to Earth", by Philip Graham, for Lisbon, and "Tilt", by Nicholas Shrary, for Pisa.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Another book I really enjoyed was Eric Newby’s Love and War in the Appenines.  He hid at La Foce during the war, an estate we visited in Tuscany.  

I also really liked Love & War in the Appenines but tried to read his book Mediterranean Shores and found it slow going...

• Like 1

Not to bore you good folk in the USA, but another James A Michener book which I read as a travel book, and remains dear to me, is his Centennial...  the founding of Colorado, the Centennial State. Gosh, I loved that book!

Like Father ... with Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer .. movie on Netflix.  It's a comedy filmed on RCL Harmony of the Seas.  Light hearted movie that cruisers like us will focus more on the surroudings 🙂

And there is always the 'cruise critic' suggestions here ...20 Cruise Movies

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drsel said:
12 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:
Rick Steves’ Europe is the best! His shows are available on the Hulu and PBS apps. He even has some episodes on cruising

Where else can I see Rick steves on the internet

Yes look at YouTube 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:35 PM, jocap said:

Not to bore you good folk in the USA, but another James A Michener book which I read as a travel book, and remains dear to me, is his Centennial...  the founding of Colorado, the Centennial State. Gosh, I loved that book!

Hawaii and Alaska are also good Michener reads.   

BTW, not sure why that would bore Americans.  And, if you ever manage to visit Colorado remember you aren't a real cowboy until you have tried rocky mountain oysters!  😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That one I have not read.  Was it good?  

No.  It was difficult to keep the persons mentioned in the novel "straight".  I didn't get to half of the book when I stopped.  It's the only book that I never finished after I started to read it.