P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Kalos.

It's a nice big free car park with a cafe at the entrance.

Several motorhomes have been parked here all week

15999178547732219415534143397463.jpg

Hope they enjoy it and dispose of their effluent from their campers in a responsible way :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

While I am reading on the news that the weather in the South is very good we are getting decidedly autumnal up here. It is cold with icy blasts of wind which are blowing the apples and leaves off the trees. The annual autumn colour display is however some compensation, glorious firey reds and oranges.

I have started planning ahead for Winter and the rumtopf is well under way among other preserves. It was hard to high proof rum but eventually got it.

We are thankfully in an area with low levels of Covid but we still don’t do too much. It feels like it is going to be a long winter.

We should have been off on a cruise next week, instead the garden is as far as I will probably get or a walk in the lanes.

One good thing is that I am reducing my pile of unread books, I always have several boxes of anything I see that interests me and get to them eventually. I’ve also gone back and reread some old classics.

Anyone read anything they enjoyed or could particularly recommend recently?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

While I am reading on the news that the weather in the South is very good we are getting decidedly autumnal up here. It is cold with icy blasts of wind which are blowing the apples and leaves off the trees. The annual autumn colour display is however some compensation, glorious firey reds and oranges.

I have started planning ahead for Winter and the rumtopf is well under way among other preserves. It was hard to high proof rum but eventually got it.

We are thankfully in an area with low levels of Covid but we still don’t do too much. It feels like it is going to be a long winter.

We should have been off on a cruise next week, instead the garden is as far as I will probably get or a walk in the lanes.

One good thing is that I am reducing my pile of unread books, I always have several boxes of anything I see that interests me and get to them eventually. I’ve also gone back and reread some old classics.

It depends on the type of thing you like to read. I have creaking bookcases and an overflowing kindle, I'm a voracious reader, but only like crime fiction. I Iove a good murder, reading, not commiting😁

Avril

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I tend to buy random books as they come up for sale at 99p on the Kindle daily deal. 

What sort of genre do you like  - espionage, mystery, sci fi?

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I tend to buy random books as they come up for sale at 99p on the Kindle daily deal. 

What sort of genre do you like  - espionage, mystery, sci fi?

I like dystopia, historical and I do like a good biography even if I don’t know much about the person. I enjoy reading about different life experiences. 

I recently finished John Bercows and found the background information about the workings of Parliament interesting, David Cameron’s was much less interesting and Lady Glenconner,s which was disturbing at points!

I love authors like Terry Prachett, MC Beaton, Alexander McCall Smith, Margaret Atwood etc 

Funnily enough I am really not into crime writers at all.

If you like bios, Craig Brown's "Ma'am Darling" (about Princess Margaret) is pretty good, anything by Tom Bower (from memory, he's done Richard Branson, Robert Maxwell, Fayed and a few others). Shame you don't like crime fiction, as Dorothy L Sayers is pretty unbeatable; other than crime writing, I don't read fiction, so can't suggest anything there. I once tried to plough through Alistair Campbell's autobiog. - after the first three self-serving, self justifying pages, I gave up.

For light relief, Quentin Letts (but do not read if you have any tendencies towards PC-ness/wokeness as you will have apoplexy)...🤣

Edited by AnnieC
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

And, of course, the unbeatable Bill Bryson, but imagine you've read them?

Good point, yes every single book. His books are interesting and funny, there are few writers who make me laugh out loud but he is one of them with his dry wit.

I like travel writers in general as well. I enjoyed Tim Moore’s Spanish Steps: travels with my donkey and read it a while back before we went to Vigo and on a tour to Santiago. I often read books about where we are cruising to/ staying in advance so I know more about what I am looking at once I get there.

Travel book recommendations would be welcome.

• Like 1

I've hardly read anything this year. 

In an average year I normally read a book a week, but this year, so far I've read about 10.  I found that I couldn't concentrate on books when lockdown started, and I haven't had any cruises, which is when I really  get stuck into my reading. 

I normally read fiction  - historical fiction, crime and 'time slip' (two interconnecting stories, one in the present day and one in the past - Barbara Erskine's 'Lady of Hay' is  a fine example of this genre)

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I like dystopia, historical and I do like a good biography even if I don’t know much about the person. I enjoy reading about different life experiences. 

I recently finished John Bercows and found the background information about the workings of Parliament interesting, David Cameron’s was much less interesting and Lady Glenconner,s which was disturbing at points!

I love authors like Terry Prachett, MC Beaton, Alexander McCall Smith, Margaret Atwood etc 

Funnily enough I am really not into crime writers at all.

We share a few tastes there. You've probably read the latest Margaret Atwood, but the Alan Johnson autobiographies might interest you if you've not read them.

Clement Attlee's 'As it Happened' is also fascinating from a historical perspective. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

In an average year I normally read a book a week, but this year, so far I've read about 10.  I found that I couldn't concentrate on books when lockdown started, and I haven't had any cruises, which is when I really  get stuck into my reading. 

I normally read fiction  - historical fiction, crime and 'time slip' (two interconnecting stories, one in the present day and one in the past - Barbara Erskine's 'Lady of Hay' is  a fine example of this genre)

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Now that looks interesting so I have just ordered it up. Many thanks for the recommendation as I have never heard of the author before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We share a few tastes there. You've probably read the latest Margaret Atwood, but the Alan Johnson autobiographies might interest you if you've not read them.

Clement Attlee's 'As it Happened' is also fascinating from a historical perspective. 

Yes I got the Testaments on the day of release. Not as good as the Handmaids Tale in my opinion but still a good read.

Ill have a look at the others you are suggesting, thanks Harry. 

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Now that looks interesting so I have just ordered it up. Many thanks for the recommendation as I have never heard of the author before.

I first read this back in the 80's and still have the book on the shelf.  Now that I've thought of it, it could be time for a re-read 

Think I have read around 30 or so books this year, a fairly wide range of books both non fiction & ficton.

Completed Peter Ackroyd’s 5 volume History of England at the beginning of lockdown, 3 cricket biographies (Jimmy Anderson, Ben Stokes & Moeen Ali) Erebus by Michael Palin, To Catch a King by Charles Spencer (yes that one) about escape of the future King Charles II, of particular interest to me as I am a volunteer Room Steward at Boscobel House. Currently reading a House though Time by David Olusoga, The companion book to the TV series,

if you like Historical Detective Stories then I I can thoroughly recommend C J Sansom’s Matthew Shardlake series set in the Tudor period, there are 7 books to date starting with Dissolution.

• Like 1