P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Andy that is ridiculous that Michelle has to wait till Mid October she should be top priority.

I pray she is in a very long remission and can eventually get treatment to help her.

Sending our very best wishes.

Graham & Pauline.

Thank you Graham. 

We will get her sorted, it's just frustrating that you have to jump through hoops. 

Andy 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

I appears as though the medical professionals you are dealing with have had the common sense and compassion trained out of them in favour of obeying the rules and regulations. What a state we are in.

That's exactly the point Pete. Trying to get past a jobsworth who won't accept they may have overlooked something... 

'It says here you are not priority'... 

Andy 

• Like 1

Hello

Been absent for a while due to work but just spent a happy hour catching up on pasts, sad, glad, and funny, good to be back with you all.

Being self employed I've awarded myself a few days off this week, and on Wednesday we're travelling to Winchester to meet up with our cruise friends  - can't wait.

Catching up on last few threads: brought up on Enid Blyton  (used to get three of her books at 3/6d ) for my birthday every year with the 10 shilling note my auntie used to send me and a sixpence blagged from my granny.

Kalos - met Barry Hines (Kes) when he came to my college in 1977 and as a shy 17 year old, was appalled at his language!

Am sad that my bouncy-castle party for my upcoming big birthday (which I share with my 5 year old grandson) has had to be cancelled - I'm not sure which of us is the most disappointed! 

Jules x

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Cruiserjules said:

Am sad that my bouncy-castle party for my upcoming big birthday (which I share with my 5 year old grandson) has had to be cancelled - I'm not sure which of us is the most disappointed! 

Jules x

Welcome back Jules. 

What a shame about your bouncy castle party, hopefully you can revisit when this is all over. 

Enjoy Winchester. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy.  

I missed a bounce on my 1 year old grandson's bouncy castle  at his party last month as I had an ear infection and didn't think it would be a great idea, so my lovely daughter thought she'd hire one for me (and James)  to make up for my "disappointment"........  Thought more restrictions would come, but hoped they might be after mid-October so that I could have a bit of a do,

Jules

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

If you fancy a good crime book try Peter James, his Roy Grace series is fab but you have to start with book 1....Dead Simple.... and read them in order cos there's an underlying story that continues through all of them. Apologies if anyone has mentioned him earlier I missed It! 

I agree, the Roy Grace series is good, and has not been previously mentioned.

I read about 80 or 90 books a year, and I'm running out of contemporary authors,  so I'm now re-reading Austen, Thackery, Eliot  etc but no more Dickens!  The Jeffrey  Archer of the 19th century!

I do like the fact that Cunard have a book club on their translantic and longer cruises.I think sometimes Princess hold one too.I do wish P and O would arrange one.Perhaps if cruising ever restarts those on CC roll call will have to organise their own book club!

• Like 3

On 9/12/2020 at 9:41 AM, Bloodaxe said:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, it is a very traumatic time at the moment.

Our 13 year old Grandson is in Leeds hospital recovering from a serious Bowel operation.

My Grandson is recovering well and should be home in a few days, he is looking forward to getting back to school.

He missed a lot of school time even before the shutdown due to his illness.. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

My Grandson is recovering well and should be home in a few days, he is looking forward to getting back to school.

Glad to hear that your grandson is making good progress and hope that he will soon be back to his usual self and enjoying school 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ann141 said:

I used to love Enid Blyton books, particularly The Famous Five and Mallory Towers.You weren t supposed to admit you liked reading Enid Blyton in the 1960s and they weren t allowed copies in the Library! Nowadays I prefer psychological thrillers(not as many gory details as thrillers but probably my all time favourites are Tess of the D'urbervilles by Hardy, all of Jane Austens novels and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The Famous Five and Mallory Towers were my favourites too.

However when I started Grammar school (in 1976) they were very much frowned on 😒

• Like 2

I like similar books to many of you too. Favourite genres are Crime/Thriller but also enjoy lots of the classics. My favourite American authors are Harlan Coben, I met him at a book signing, very nice man, Linwood Barclay, David Baldacci, Jeffery Deaver, Lisa Gardner, Michael Connelly, Jodi Picoult.

Favourite UK Authors are Rachel Abbott, Laura Eliot, CL Taylor, RJ Ellory, who is British but mainly writes American Crime, Mark Edwards, Anne Cleeves,Sebastian Faulks, the list goes on, I just love reading!

I'm currently re-reading The Importance of being Earnest.

I always said I would never get a Kindle, but we were running out of room for more book cases so I relented and now only buy actual books from a few of my favourite authors, the rest I get on Kindle.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I'm pleased your Grandson is recovering well. It's an awful feeling when your children are ill. You feel so helpless and just want to change places with them. You must be so relieved.

Avril

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

The Famous Five and Mallory Towers were my favourites too.

However when I started Grammar school (in 1976) they were very much frowned on 😒

We like what we like Sue. The books we love, as with everything in life,  is our personal choice and should never be frowned upon. 

Avril

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I always said I would never get a Kindle, but we were running out of room for more book cases so I relented and now only buy actual books from a few of my favourite authors, the rest I get on Kindle.

My exact words too Sarah. I love the feel and the. smell of reading an actual book. I used to lug a bag of books with me on holiday😊. My grandson bought me a kindle a few christmases ago and I love it, it's so much simpler and lighter, but not quite the same. I still buy the  new hardback releases of  Michael Connelly though😉

Avril

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thought for the day ....

You know you’re working class when your TV is bigger than your book case :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

So what does it mean when you have more bookcases than pieces of furniture, Oh Mighty Oracle?😃

Avril

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

So what does it mean when you have more bookcases than pieces of furniture, Oh Mighty Oracle?😃

Avril

Mmmm  ... You live in a library :classic_unsure: ??? :classic_wink:

The last time I was  out shopping in W H Smiths

I asked the shop assistant for the latest book on erectile dysfunction.
She tapped the keys to her computer keyboard and said...."It's not coming up!"...

.... I said.."Yeah!...that's the one!":classic_wink:

Looking at today's weather around  South Yorkshire it's going to be nice  up 25 deg c

A good day to dust one of your books or kindles off and head for the garden .:classic_smile:

Have a nice day everyone ! :classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Mmmm  ... You live in a library :classic_unsure: ??? :classic_wink:

The last time I was  out shopping in W H Smiths

I asked the shop assistant for the latest book on erectile dysfunction.
She tapped the keys to her computer keyboard and said...."It's not coming up!"...

.... I said.."Yeah!...that's the one!":classic_wink:

Looking at today's weather around  South Yorkshire it's going to be nice  up 25 deg c

A good day to dust one of your books or kindles off and head for the garden .:classic_smile:

Have a nice day everyone ! :classic_smile:

That's just what we're going to do. The sun loungers are out and the big sun brolly is up ready and waiting. I hope you all have a good day planned too.  Bye bye, the garden and kindle are calling😎 (by the way Kalos, self help books wont work)😄

Avril

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Great news your grandson is recovering well and looking forward to his school again.

14 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's excellent news - not going to pry, but suspect he may have a similar condition to one of my daughters; it's a huge worry.