P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope your daughter is okay.

Graham.

She is, thank you Graham - it's something she's had since she was 9, and she's now in her 30s, so we've had time to get used to the treatments, occasional hospitalisations, etc. There are many worse things, as many on here are only too aware.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

She is, thank you Graham - it's something she's had since she was 9, and she's now in her 30s, so we've had time to get used to the treatments, occasional hospitalisations, etc. There are many worse things, as many on here are only too aware.

That's true.

Pleased she is okay.

It is unfair she has had to endure this but she is very brave having all those treatments from such a young age.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

The Famous Five and Mallory Towers were my favourites too.

However when I started Grammar school (in 1976) they were very much frowned on 😒

I used to love all the Enid Blyton books.  A couple of years ago, I read one of her books, for a bit of fun, as it was set on a cruise ship. It was called ‘The Ship of Adventure’. It wasn’t entirely realistic. The captain made up the itinerary as he went along and one of the kids managed to get his pet parrot on board! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Could well be what happens when cruising resumes!  Apart from the parrot.

I'm not averse to the parrot. After some of the conversations we've  had to suffer through while onboard Polly could be a pleasant change.😉

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

That's excellent news - not going to pry, but suspect he may have a similar condition to one of my daughters; it's a huge worry.

He has been suffering from Crohns (not sure of the spelling) disease for several years, the operation was to remove scaring from his bowel, they have tried less invasive treatment without any long term benefit.

Fingers crossed that this will be successful but it could still flare up again in the future.

14 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

He has been suffering from Crohns (not sure of the spelling) disease for several years, the operation was to remove scaring from his bowel, they have tried less invasive treatment without any long term benefit.

Fingers crossed that this will be successful but it could still flare up again in the future.

That's what I guessed, (and you've spelt it correctly).🙂

The poor boy must have been incredibly young when he was first diagnosed - how awful for him and the rest of the family. Crohns is horrid. Presume the family know about https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/ - they were extremely helpful in our early days, particularly with enlisting the necessary support from my daughter's school. 

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

That's what I guessed, (and you've spelt it correctly).🙂

The poor boy must have been incredibly young when he was first diagnosed - how awful for him and the rest of the family. Crohns is horrid. Presume the family know about https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/ - they were extremely helpful in our early days, particularly with enlisting the necessary support from my daughter's school. 

Yes he has a bad time, compounded by the loss of his Father a year ago.

Hopefully better times are around the corner for us all, thanks for your concern.

He was allowed out of hospital for short while today and all things going well could be home on Thursday.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Hopefully better times are around the corner for us all, thanks for your concern.

He was allowed out of hospital for short while today and all things going well could be home on Thursday.

Fingers crossed for him, Bloodaxe; hope he can go home on Thursday. Poor boy. There are some positives - in the 22 years my daughter has had a similar condition, the treatments available have improved immeasurably and they do seem to be constantly doing a great deal of research - new things are popping up all the time, and I have great faith a permanent cure will be found in the not too distant future. 🤞 And if not that, a non-invasive treatment that will benefit your grandson.

• Like 3

And back to books - anyone interested in political gossip (and I know it's a strange minority interest🥵) "Confessions of an MP's Wife" by Sasha Swire, coming out shortly. Just caught up with yesterday's Sunday Times mag, which has published extracts, and if any Tories in the Cameron government are still talking to Ms Swire after reading it, they have a more forgiving nature than I.

35 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

🤞🤞Good luck and hopefully he is allowed home on Thursday.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

And back to books - anyone interested in political gossip (and I know it's a strange minority interest🥵) "Confessions of an MP's Wife" by Sasha Swire, coming out shortly. Just caught up with yesterday's Sunday Times mag, which has published extracts, and if any Tories in the Cameron government are still talking to Ms Swire after reading it, they have a more forgiving nature than I.

Yes back to books. I have heard today that the Roy Grace series I mentioned earlier by Peter James has started filming today for his crime series for ITV starting with his first two books Dead Simple and Looking Good Dead. Can't wait!!

I must be the odd one out here !! I don’t do any reading of books whatsoever and only read the book KES at school for English exam , l lose interest very quickly reading magazines too so I just like to people watch when lying on sun bed or at the beach .

So for a change today we went to a vineyard, Langham wine estate near Dorchester and sampled some sparkling wine 😜 was nice enough to come home with 6 bottles of Culver Classic Cuvée .

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I must be the odd one out here !! I don’t do any reading of books whatsoever and only read the book KES at school for English exam , l lose interest very quickly reading magazines too so I just like to people watch when lying on sun bed or at the beach .

So for a change today we went to a vineyard, Langham wine estate near Dorchester and sampled some sparkling wine 😜 was nice enough to come home with 6 bottles of Culver Classic Cuvée .

I enjoy reading but like you, I prefer to people watch when on the beach or lying on a sunbed.I am easily distracted so tend to read in our cabin or somewhere quiet.

I hope you are continuing to improve after your operation

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Yes back to books. I have heard today that the Roy Grace series I mentioned earlier by Peter James has started filming today for his crime series for ITV starting with his first two books Dead Simple and Looking Good Dead. Can't wait!!

I have read and enjoyed several of the Roy Grace books. It will be interesting to see how long each story lasts on TV. In my view, it would be impossible to do the books justice unless they allocate at least 5 hours programme time to each one. Anything less would just cover the main story line and completely miss out the background story that follows through the series. I praised Henning Mankell’s Wallander books earlier in this thread. The TV versions, whilst well acted and beautifully filmed, just scratched the surface because they were unrealistically short.

23 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We like what we like Sue. The books we love, as with everything in life,  is our personal choice and should never be frowned upon. 

Avril

I know, it was a terrible thing to say but as a shy 11 year old I didn’t say anything! She should have been pleased I was reading! I’ve always said my spelling is good because of all the reading I’ve done.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I used to love all the Enid Blyton books.  A couple of years ago, I read one of her books, for a bit of fun, as it was set on a cruise ship. It was called ‘The Ship of Adventure’. It wasn’t entirely realistic. The captain made up the itinerary as he went along and one of the kids managed to get his pet parrot on board! 

😁haven’t heard of that one!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Bless him, hope he continues to improve.

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have read and enjoyed several of the Roy Grace books. It will be interesting to see how long each story lasts on TV. In my view, it would be impossible to do the books justice unless they allocate at least 5 hours programme time to each one. Anything less would just cover the main story line and completely miss out the background story that follows through the series. I praised Henning Mankell’s Wallander books earlier in this thread. The TV versions, whilst well acted and beautifully filmed, just scratched the surface because they were unrealistically short.

I can cope with shortened versions of books as long as the main story is there, its when they start to change things that gets me. Take Harry Potter for instance, at the end of Deathly Hallows in the film he breaks the Elder Wand into pieces and throws them off the bridge but in the book he places it back with Dumbledore. Can't see how JK allowed that to happen its massive to the story. But yes I can see Grace being shortened down to fit ITV and all of the ads. John Simm should be very good though in the lead role. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Spot of hunting and grouse shooting for me today - pleased to see these are both exempted from the Rule of Six. 

Shame a family of six can't meet up with anyone at all - even outside - but we have to get our priorities right, don't you know?

I (genuinely) have a family of grouse living in my back garden, plus many pheasant visitors. Can I invite 30 people round, arm them with water pistols, and fire up the barbie?😉

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I (genuinely) have a family of grouse living in my back garden, plus many pheasant visitors. Can I invite 30 people round, arm them with water pistols, and fire up the barbie?😉

Certainly.  You can invite the local hunt too I imagine.  Barnard Castle should be busy. 

• Haha 2