P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Then why ask the question if they know they won't get an honest answer, what's the point?

Avril

It’s not that people are dishonest, rather that many are unaware of just how many units they consume. Most people dont know how to count units.

A good Family GP will extrapolate the answer, as AnneC says, based on evidence.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, kalos said:

Thought for the day ....

You know you’re working class when your TV is bigger than your book case :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

Not sure if working class is the right title, if you get me. My parents were working class and am proud to say my book case was and is HUGE and they always pushed me to read as much as I could. The tv was small ........ then again in those days just to have a colour one was a major accomplishment 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ann141 said:

I enjoy reading but like you, I prefer to people watch when on the beach or lying on a sunbed.I am easily distracted so tend to read in our cabin or somewhere quiet.

I hope you are continuing to improve after your operation

I have to read when on a sunbed or on the balcony. I get bored really easily so I have to be doing something - can't just sit as I get aggitated. Always been the same ---- have to be on here when watching the TV too ---- always did my homework as a child infront of the TV doing the work and watching the programmes. That's why hubby loves cruising ---- on a sea day he can lock me on the balcony with a kindle and glass or two of something nice. He can then retreat inside and have his afternoon snoozes in peace 🙂

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Not sure if working class is the right title, if you get me. My parents were working class and am proud to say my book case was and is HUGE and they always pushed me to read as much as I could. The tv was small ........ then again in those days just to have a colour one was a major accomplishment 

Me too. Encouraged to read a wide range rather than watch TV.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just got back from my 5 yearly check up at the surgery. The good news is that I've got the body of a healthy 90 year old, which is a bit worrying as I'll only reach 68 on Saturday!

As an aside, does anyone ever answer the questions about their alcohol intake honestly?

I answer honestly about alcohol intake but if asked about chocolate!!??

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

When I see the amount of books I have, they must have cost more than we've paid for our TV's over the years.

Avril

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yep I get you :classic_smile: Just a light hearted joke by me as people were talking books and couldn't resist .

If I was to tell you that our family were so poor the ducks on our local pond would throw bread at us :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

I must point out they didn't and no ducks or working class people actually existed in those jokes :classic_biggrin:

On a serious note though , I take my hat off to our parents who had very little but managed to give 

us the best education and life skills they possibly could back then .

Looking back to when I was a kid we would have thought you were mad to even dream of setting 

foot on a cruise ship let alone an airplane.

The only regret on personal note would be ,I wish my mum and dad were alive and I could have taken 

them with us on a journey we had done as a thank you . Doubt it would've happened though , took me 

years to convince them the local chinese was a nice alternative to our local chippy.:classic_smile:

I hope your books continue to give you much pleasure and i do agree a colour TV would have been amazing .:classic_smile:

If you had mentioned a colour TV to me as a kid "what's one of them look like ?" would have been my reply :classic_smile:

The next question would have been "Have you got sixpence to put in the back of ours ?":classic_ohmy:

Anyone else remember Telly Bank TV ? :classic_unsure:

us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

We was working class or still am could not even afford a library card so the only reading we did was from the paper around our chips, we used to watch a colour tv until our neighbour closed there curtains.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, kalos said:

If you had mentioned a colour TV to me as a kid "what's one of them look like ?" would have been my reply :classic_smile:

The next question would have been "Have you got sixpence to put in the back of ours ?":classic_ohmy:

us.

We had one that took 50p pieces I think  and if it ran out the whole thing went off. Brother so cross one night (very young) when watching Leeds in the FA Cup final with no more cash in the house, that he kicked the door frame and put his foot through a window. Parents not happy .....

I think it was 50p but may have been less !!!!

Re parents and wishing they were around -  our parents gave us an amazing start and chances in life. Without them we would never be where we are now and most certainly not cruising. Then again they called us Yuppies because we drank wine 😉 They never touched anything remotely not British re food. Dad called salad 'Rabbit food' and never did get eating healthily .... or units of alcohol ! 

Their priority was doing the best for their children .......... happy times

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep I get you :classic_smile: Just a light hearted joke by me as people were talking books and couldn't resist .

If I was to tell you that our family were so poor the ducks on our local pond would throw bread at us :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

I must point out they didn't and no ducks or working class people actually existed in those jokes :classic_biggrin:

On a serious note though , I take my hat off to our parents who had very little but managed to give 

Looking back to when I was a kid we would have thought you were mad to even dream of setting 

The only regret on personal note would be ,I wish my mum and dad were alive and I could have taken 

them with us on a journey we had done as a thank you . Doubt it would've happened though , took me 

years to convince them the local chinese was a nice alternative to our local chippy.:classic_smile:

I hope your books continue to give you much pleasure and i do agree a colour TV would have been amazing .:classic_smile:

us.

I do remember them Kalos, but not until you jogged my memory. I'd completely forgotten about them.

Avril

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We was working class or still am could not even afford a library card so the only reading we did was from the paper around our chips, we used to watch a colour tv until our neighbour closed there curtains.

Your lucky on a Sunday my mum used to send me around to next doors to ask ..

"Can we borrow some of your joint to dip in our gravy " :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Your lucky on a Sunday my mum used to send me around to next doors to ask ..

"Can we borrow some of your joint to dip in our gravy " :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

Gravy I was bought up on clear soup with a bit of crusty bread, it was years after I realised clear soup was water.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

us.

Ditto. I used to watch the Love Boat and dream of cruising but never thought I would actually do it.

Thankfully my mum lived long enough for us to take her on quite a few cruises with us and she just loved them all.

My dad died before we could take him but would not have thanked you for a cruise. Plain fare was his thing and he didn’t like wearing a suit and tie. He also loved his own country and saw no point in travelling anywhere out with Scotland as he felt that it was one of the most beautiful places on the planet so why get on a plane / ship.

I am working class but was encouraged, well educated, have travelled the world thanks to my parents and still love my own country.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

They never touched anything remotely not British re food. Dad called salad 'Rabbit food' and never did get eating healthily .... 

Frank's mum thought that Chinese food or curry was 'that foreign muck' and that rice was cooked with milk and sugar. She'd then serve his dad with such delicacies as tripe, elder, pig trotters, brawn and brains. Yum, makes my mouth water🤢

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank's mum thought that Chinese food or curry was 'that foreign muck' and that rice was cooked with milk and sugar. She'd then serve his dad with such delicacies as tripe, elder, pig trotters, brawn and brains. Yum, makes my mouth water🤢

Avril

Yes, rice was only ever in a sweet pudding.

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

My dad liked Dipping Bread in lard.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

So you used to shop/beg  at the local duck pond as well ? :classic_unsure: :classic_wink:

We had a pond with a few bedsteads prams etc but no ducks, joking aside we eventually hit the jackpot my father got a job at the local steelworks, fitted carpets colour tv etc soon arrived but there was a price to pay, he was involved in an accident killed 3 injured 5 before compensation was the norm my father never worked again.

Edited by Bazrat

6 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We had a pond with a few bedsteads prams etc but no ducks, joking aside we eventually hit the jackpot my father got a job at the local steelworks, fitted carpets colour tv etc soon arrived but there was a price to pay, he was involved in an accident killed 3 injured 5 before compensation was the norm my father never worked again.

Sorry to hear about dad.

I had forgotten that fitted carpets were not the norm, linolium with a rug.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

My dad liked Dipping Bread in lard.

Growing up a snack to us could have been ..Dripping,sauce,sugar:classic_ohmy:,pickled beetroot,piccalilli,brown sauce,

bread and butter/stork margarine sarnies. As kids we were not  that fussy what we ate one of my favourites 

on a cold day was a mug of Oxo cube with dry bread to dip in it .

Can you imagine giving our Grandkids these options :classic_ohmy::classic_unsure:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

A few months after my mum and dad married, my dad mentioned that he liked curry.

My mum decided to make him a curry with all the trimmings for his birthday dinner as a surprise for when he got in from work. She sourced all the ingredients ( not easy in mid 50s Britain, and slaved over the cooker for hours. She presented him with this masterpiece of Indian cooking, and he prodded it, and said ‘ what’s this foreign muck.’. It turned out that, when he said he liked curry, he meant than he liked a sprinkling of curry powder in his gravy!  My mum wasn’t exactly pleased by this! 

After that, only plain fare was ever served in our house. It wasn’t until I was 18 until I tried anything remotely ‘foreign’

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

So sorry about your dad mate .Re reading your post which I had laughed at the bedstead and came back 

to find you had edited your post to include your dads accident .

I have removed the post reaction (laughing) off your post as it looked like I was ,er well it just did not look right.

Sorry about that Bazrat ,

Best wishes Kalos :classic_smile:

• Like 1