P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Agatha Christie was the beginning to my crime 'fiction addiction' Hercule Poirot was my favourite, but I didn't like the Timothy and Tuppence stories. I then progressed to Hank Janson novels, anyone remember them?

Avril

I started my crime addiction reading all of the Starsky and Hutch and Professions books ........ ah those were the days  ........

NO tell a lie, Enid Blyton The Secret Seven !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s been really really warm down here in Kent. Had son, partner and grandson over for lunch then we all went to Mote Park in nearby Maidstone, was 25 degrees, phew! 

50321823-825E-485D-A3FB-C53CF0929A36.jpeg

That Looks lovely.

Sounds like you had a great time in the hot weather.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

That all sounds daft

OH and I were both done before 10am yesterday.  They didn’t even mind me carrying the pup

She’s doing fine

DD4E28D7-5EDA-493C-8444-F0165E70DB37.jpeg

Such a mischievous little face. She looks like she gets into everything

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Same shambles down here Dave... 

Michelle, who has a terminal illness and is extremely vulnerable, cannot get hers until mid October.. Me, who has never needed it before and a relatively healthy 54 year old, can have one this week... 

Andy 

so sorry to hear that Andy, that’s ridiculous.

• Like 2

I find our tastes in reading change over the years ,Readers wives ,Auto Trader,Argos.:classic_blush:
These days  I prefer biography's and history's of places etc.
My most favourite book of all time would be "A Kestrel for a Knave”  by Barry Hines.
When the film Kes was made I had already read the book and felt I knew the characters 
in the film .

Anyone else read a book first and seen the film after , how did it compare ?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I started my crime addiction reading all of the Starsky and Hutch and Professions books ........ ah those were the days  ........

The very first book that remember reading was' Mr Bumble'. It was printed in 1938 and I still have it hiding in  one of bookcases  somewhere. It's a little worse for wear but well read and well loved. My two older sisters had read it and passed it on to me. I'd read it many times and my three children too

Avril.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The very first book that remember reading was' Mr Bumble'. It was printed in 1938 and I still have it hiding in  one of bookcases  somewhere. It's a little worse for wear but well read and well loved. My two older sisters had read it and passed it on to me. I'd read it many times and my three children too

Avril.

Oh used to LOVE Mr Bumble !!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry , I am more traditional I just LOVE Agatha Christie, particularly Miss Marple,. Also love reading the Midsomer Murders and Death in Paradise books. Oh, enjoyed reading the Prime Suspect books last year too. 🙂

I would like to read Agatha Christie but not available for Kindle

5 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I would like to read Agatha Christie but not available for Kindle

Strange I have all Miss Marple for Kindle ????

They are still there now ?????? There are LOADS !

Just checked again and they must all be on there as there are pages of them

Edited by Presto2

32 minutes ago, kalos said:

I find our tastes in reading change over the years ,Readers wives ,Auto Trader,Argos.:classic_blush:
My most favourite book of all time would be "A Kestrel for a Knave”  by Barry Hines.
When the film Kes was made I had already read the book and felt I knew the characters 
in the film .

I find the books are always better. Everything from Lord of the Rings, through the Harry Potter series, Brave New World, all the Austen books etc etc. The books always have more subtlety.

I also find that I have imagined the characters from reading and the films don’t always match up. That and the fact that the films cut a lot of small detail.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I find the books are always better. Everything from Lord of the Rings, through the Harry Potter series, Brave New World, all the Austen books etc etc. The books always have more subtlety.

I also find that I have imagined the characters from reading and the films don’t always match up. That and the fact that the films cut a lot of small detail.

That's why we like Joan Hickson as Miss Marple - probably the only version of the books that match up !

And sometimes it is nice to read the books of the TV programmes. Lived reading Death in Paradise this summer as they just reminded me of my favourite characters

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Christie - I could not find any when I looked last year, thanks 🙂

Happy reading - should keep you going for years !!!! 🙂

I just typed in Agatha Christie kindle and there were pages of them - and not expensive either

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

in the film .

Being a Michael Connelly fan I've watched The Lincoln Lawyer and Bloodwork and James Patterson's Along Came A Spider. I was disappointed in them. When you read a book you use your own imagination from the authors description and build the characters in your mind. They never compare on film. Heights, ethnicity, gender even the story changes if the screenwriters don't think it's 'suitable' for the screen and water it down.  Along Came A Spider was changed so much it was unrecognisable from the book. The only things the same were characters names and there was a boat. I've never been tempted to see anymore. I much prefer my own imagination.

Avril

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Our church started last week but we stayed at home today as we are around so many people at work and don't want to put anyone vulnerable at risk. We watched on Youtube link though, not perfect or like being there but better than nothing.

Our church is holding one service on a sunday (usually there are 3) and we have been asked to sign up for just one attendance a month to give others a chance to attend.We went today and had to wear masks and social distancing was observed so ok .My hubby was the person providing the You Tube link for those watching on line so hope it worked!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

Our church is holding one service on a sunday (usually there are 3) and we have been asked to sign up for just one attendance a month to give others a chance to attend.We went today and had to wear masks and social distancing was observed so ok .My hubby was the person providing the You Tube link for those watching on line so hope it worked!!

The main pressure is the person on the youtube link for those at home 🙂  Don't tell him that though ! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I used to love Enid Blyton books, particularly The Famous Five and Mallory Towers.You weren t supposed to admit you liked reading Enid Blyton in the 1960s and they weren t allowed copies in the Library! Nowadays I prefer psychological thrillers(not as many gory details as thrillers but probably my all time favourites are Tess of the D'urbervilles by Hardy, all of Jane Austens novels and The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

• Like 1

If you fancy a good crime book try Peter James, his Roy Grace series is fab but you have to start with book 1....Dead Simple.... and read them in order cos there's an underlying story that continues through all of them. Apologies if anyone has mentioned him earlier I missed It! 

12 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Same shambles down here Dave... 

Michelle, who has a terminal illness and is extremely vulnerable, cannot get hers until mid October.. Me, who has never needed it before and a relatively healthy 54 year old, can have one this week... 

Andy 

Andy that is ridiculous that Michelle has to wait till Mid October she should be top priority.

I pray she is in a very long remission and can eventually get treatment to help her.

Sending our very best wishes.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Much as I dislike the woman,  Nicola Sturgeon has been much more sensible by not including under 12s in this stupid roke of 6.

It really depends on your personal circumstances 

i live on my own in Scotland now. Our rule of 6 only allows two households to meet. So I can only meet one friend for coffee/lunch or a walk.

there were three households in my quiz team - socially distanced - but we are having to abandon our team now.

There are no under 12s in my family so I’d rather have the English rule of six than the Scottish one