P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just had a text to let me know that we are not having a covid clinic on Friday after all there are not enough bookings.  I am not surprised, I  couldn’t understand why anyone would want possible side effects even it is just a sore arm over Christmas.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Just had a text to let me know that we are not having a covid clinic on Friday after all there are not enough bookings.  I am not surprised, I  couldn’t understand why anyone would want possible side effects even it is just a sore arm over Christmas.

Enjoy your deserved day off.  Thank you for all your efforts and have a great Christmas,

• Like 6

I read an article saying militant anti-vaxxers had developed a tactic of booking appointments at jab clinics, thus making them unavailable for genuine people, but never with any intention of turning up. 😳 You wonder what some people have for brains!

Staying on res medica, all the best for Friday, Graham.  My mobile buzzed whilst I was out with the dog and it was the hospital appointments team fixing my date with the scalpel.  12 January.  Pretty good service, eh?  I first contacted my GP at the end of November.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Dear Friends

I am just checking in to say hello and to report on our vaccine progress this week. The good news is that every single appointment has been booked and no-one has dna'd (did not arrive). All the patients have been lovely and so many have brought in sweets, biscuits and chocs that we've assembled quite a pile. We have one receptionist who is tall, thin as a rake, and can eat a whole layer of Guylian chocs in one go. She's a self-confessed chocolate addict who never puts on an ounce. Obviously everyone hates her!

The bad news is that 4 of us have come down with a horrible flu-like virus with cough, sore throats, aches, loss of voice and chest problems. We all thought it was Covid but our LFTs are negative. We're double-masked and on a diet of wide open windows, an abundance of fluids, paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

Fotunately we've recruited 3 volunteers who are spending the week phoning patients to book the clinics. Without these wonderful people we would be up the creek without a paddle. So I'd like to add my voice (if I had one) of thanks to all our volunteer helpers over the country who are giving up their time so willingly, and selflessly,  to assist with this gargantuan task. Thank you so very much.

Take good care and stay as safe as you can. Very best wishes. Jane.xxxx

Sorry to hear you and others have experienced flu like symptoms Jane.

Fantastic that others have volunteered to help.

Hope this little video cheers you up.

Many thanks for all your hard work helping others.

Graham x

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Jane. Hope you manage to get better before Christmas.

Also sorry to hear that you haven't been well either Sandra and wish you a speedy recovery.

Good luck for tomorrow Graham.

It's a grey and dismal day down here with light drizzly rain but not too cold as it's 9oC.

My daughter went out shopping with her sister this morning leaving at 5.30 am to be at Morrisons for when they opened at 6 am.

Meeting a friend for coffee later and a catch up, but other than that and some sweet making for Christmas nothing else planned for today.

Take care everyone and stay safe and wishing all poorly folk a speedy recovery.

Pam

Thank you Pam.

I had my covid19 swab yesterday and hopefully it is negative.

The hospital are to contact me tomorrow with details of my admittance on Christmas Eve for my BCC op as long as my test was negative.

Graham.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

@BeckettWe had 37 DNA's one day this week - 37! In one day! I can't  even  begin to tell you what language I used to describe these" people ". Hope you feel better soon. On my way to work now for some more  jabbing. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. Stay safe and healthy. 

That is a bloody disgrace Jane. Your language and mine has been very nicely echoed on SoA's post - and well said him. You have a great Christmasand New Year too. Best wishes. Jane.xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I can........  - ****wits.   If people can't have a jab for medical reasons then let the jabbers know so that someone else can have the slot.  Add nincompoopery to the names list as well.

Thank you for your all your endeavours and have a great Christmas.

Well said SoA - and that's the polite version! Jane.x 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Jane. Hope you manage to get better before Christmas.

Also sorry to hear that you haven't been well either Sandra and wish you a speedy recovery.

Good luck for tomorrow Graham.

It's a grey and dismal day down here with light drizzly rain but not too cold as it's 9oC.

My daughter went out shopping with her sister this morning leaving at 5.30 am to be at Morrisons for when they opened at 6 am.

Meeting a friend for coffee later and a catch up, but other than that and some sweet making for Christmas nothing else planned for today.

Take care everyone and stay safe and wishing all poorly folk a speedy recovery.

Pam

Thanks so much Pam. I have a feeling it's just an end of year rebellion by our bodies telling us to ease up a bit. Some chance!  Enjoy your coffee with your friend. Best wishes. Jane.xxx

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear you and others have experienced flu like symptoms Jane.

Fantastic that others have volunteered to help.

Hope this little video cheers you up.

Many thanks for all your hard work helping others.

Graham x

Thanks so much Graham and good luck for a negative result. Fingers crossed. I love this video - it was a tonic! Best wishes as always. Jane.x 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Enjoy your deserved day off.  Thank you for all your efforts and have a great Christmas,

Thank you, the day off means that I can take my time doing the last remaining bits and pieces that I still have to do for Christmas instead of rushing around like a lunatic.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Pam.

I had my covid19 swab yesterday and hopefully it is negative.

The hospital are to contact me tomorrow with details of my admittance on Christmas Eve for my BCC op as long as my test was negative.

Graham.

Hopefully everything will be fine and you will get your op done 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I read an article saying militant anti-vaxxers had developed a tactic of booking appointments at jab clinics, thus making them unavailable for genuine people, but never with any intention of turning up. 😳 You wonder what some people have for brains!

Staying on res medica, all the best for Friday, Graham.  My mobile buzzed whilst I was out with the dog and it was the hospital appointments team fixing my date with the scalpel.  12 January.  Pretty good service, eh?  I first contacted my GP at the end of November.

Thank you Eddie.

Excellent service from the hospital fixing your appointment for 12th January.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It would be the perfect excuse for being waited on though, and best of all - no washing up after Christmas dinner🥳

Avril

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Dear Friends

I am just checking in to say hello and to report on our vaccine progress this week. The good news is that every single appointment has been booked and no-one has dna'd (did not arrive). All the patients have been lovely and so many have brought in sweets, biscuits and chocs that we've assembled quite a pile. We have one receptionist who is tall, thin as a rake, and can eat a whole layer of Guylian chocs in one go. She's a self-confessed chocolate addict who never puts on an ounce. Obviously everyone hates her!

The bad news is that 4 of us have come down with a horrible flu-like virus with cough, sore throats, aches, loss of voice and chest problems. We all thought it was Covid but our LFTs are negative. We're double-masked and on a diet of wide open windows, an abundance of fluids, paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

Fotunately we've recruited 3 volunteers who are spending the week phoning patients to book the clinics. Without these wonderful people we would be up the creek without a paddle. So I'd like to add my voice (if I had one) of thanks to all our volunteer helpers over the country who are giving up their time so willingly, and selflessly,  to assist with this gargantuan task. Thank you so very much.

Take good care and stay as safe as you can. Very best wishes. Jane.xxxx

Have a good day Jane.  I hope you are soon feeling better and that you only get nice people and don't get any of the idiots that we seem to get occasionally.  My best moment last weekend was when a man came in and was asked him to pull his mask up over his mouth and nose  when he said that there were no rules about how it was worn, one of my fellow volunteers immediately replied " you are supposed to have a face covering not a chin warmer ".

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Thank you, the day off means that I can take my time doing the last remaining bits and pieces that I still have to do for Christmas instead of rushing around like a lunatic.

Is your niece recovering well Josy?

Avril

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Have a good day Jane.  I hope you are soon feeling better and that you only get nice people and don't get any of the idiots that we seem to get occasionally.  My best moment last weekend was when a man came in and was asked him to pull his mask up over his mouth and nose  when he said that there were no rules about how it was worn, one of my fellow volunteers immediately replied " you are supposed to have a face covering not a chin warmer ".

Sorry but anyone cannot have the respect to wear a face mask  correctly if not for their health but for others then the vaccinator should refuse to give the vaccine. I just dont really understand the mentality of some people.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Is your niece recovering well Josy?

Avril

Thanks for asking Avril.

She is getting there slowly, she was told yesterday that she will have to have some  more chemo in January because the tests on the breast that was removed have shown that she was resistant to the chemo drugs that she had previously, which is why it came back, so they are going to try a different type of chemo.

She is so fed up that she has decided that she will have her parents and her brother and his partner round for dinner on Christmas day even though she has been told that she should be shielding.  She said that as her children both caught covid at school and she didn't catch it from them she thinks that the natural antibodies that she had from having it earlier and having been triple vaccinated should be enough to keep her from being seriously affected.  Her parents, brother and brother's partner have all been doing daily tests to be as sure as they can be that they are clear.

We were invited but because of my volunteering I don't feel comfortable being around her unless I have a mask on so I  have said that we will pop round to see them on Christmas morning but we won't be removing them inside her house.  I just hope that she is safe.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Thanks for asking Avril.

She is getting there slowly, she was told yesterday that she will have to have some  more chemo in January because the tests on the breast that was removed have shown that she was resistant to the chemo drugs that she had previously, which is why it came back, so they are going to try a different type of chemo.

She is so fed up that she has decided that she will have her parents and her brother and his partner round for dinner on Christmas day even though she has been told that she should be shielding.  She said that as her children both caught covid at school and she didn't catch it from them she thinks that the natural antibodies that she had from having it earlier and having been triple vaccinated should be enough to keep her from being seriously affected.  Her parents, brother and brother's partner have all been doing daily tests to be as sure as they can be that they are clear.

We were invited but because of my volunteering I don't feel comfortable being around her unless I have a mask on so I  have said that we will pop round to see them on Christmas morning but we won't be removing them inside her house.  I just hope that she is safe.

Oh your poor niece. You can fully understand her wanting a more “normal” type of Christmas.

I think you are wise to be careful around her.

I have friends who were both boostered about 4 weeks ago and who now have Covid. They not feeling too bad, but it is worrying and a reminder that we all need to be careful whatever our vaccination status. He thought he caught it after attending a football match and then passed it onto his wife. She is not exactly pleased!! X

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but anyone cannot have the respect to wear a face mask  correctly if not for their health but for others then the vaccinator should refuse to give the vaccine. I just dont really understand the mentality of some people.

My feelings exactly.  You would be surprised how many masks we hand out to people turn up without a mask, the only saving grace is that they usually apologise.  We had one young man who said "Boris says that masks are no longer mandatory" and when he was told that he either put a mask on or leave he left saying that he would get vaccinated somewhere else.  I don't think that he would find anywhere prepared to vaccinate him unless he agreed to a face covering.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Thanks for asking Avril.

That's a wise decision Josy, you have to be extra careful under the circumstances. I know you must be apprehensive about your niece's decision to host a family Christmas dinner, but it seems as though she's given it plenty of serious thought. I assume from your posts, she works for the NHS in some capacity, so will be able to make a more cautious and responsible decision that most. I hope your niece has a lovely Christmas and a healthy New Year. 

Avril

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Only 2 more panic days to Christmas. Crossed some things off the list and added a couple. Probably do the same tomorrow and have the last minute proper panic in Friday. Have we got enough  ingredients to bake a few loaves in case we run out of bread ?. After all the shops are shut for a couple of days.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Only 2 more panic days to Christmas. Crossed some things off the list and added a couple. Probably do the same tomorrow and have the last minute proper panic in Friday. Have we got enough  ingredients to bake a few loaves in case we run out of bread ?. After all the shops are shut for a couple of days.

Why worry about bread ?  Didn't someone once say "Let them eat cake" ?😇

• Haha 5

Well, I had a nice chat with my friend earlier to arrive home to find a paramedic car parked (I use the word lightly) next door but one and a van outside of my house the same!  So parked at the end of the road and walked back down, hubby said there was an ambulance there beforehand which had since gone. Short while later a doctor walked past and then a van arrived and wheeled out what appeared to be a gurney. So now instead of feeling in a cheerful mood feeling very low and sad. (And before any body says anything about being curtain twitchers our kitchen is at the front of the house and we live in a cul-de-sac so can't help but see everyone passing!) I feel very sorry for her family, it isn't going to be a good Christmas for them.

Pam 

• Like 3