P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Talking about people being rude I asked one of the British Members of the Entertainment Staff on our recent Princess cruise if anyone had ever been rude to him. He said all the time , if anyone had a grievance they take it out on the first member of staff they come across. 

9 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Talking about people being rude I asked one of the British Members of the Entertainment Staff on our recent Princess cruise if anyone had ever been rude to him. He said all the time , if anyone had a grievance they take it out on the first member of staff they come across. 

That is disgusting, my mum always told us "If you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth closed"

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Amelia Noylam said:

Hi Yorkshirephill, pleased you had both of your jabs.

Hi Josy1953, never a truer saying "Give an inch and they take a mile", I think the same as majortom10 and would have given them to someone else.

You should have a notice up, saying (please be polite to our staff, as you are most likely to leave empty handed if you are not).

The problem for us is that these people have a totally different sort of life to us and we don't know what sort of pressures they are under.  Personally I can't imagine what I would do if I had to go to a foodbank because I couldn't afford to buy what I want.

My nephew is a social worker who mainly works trying to get people off the streets and into some sort of accommodation and he truly believes that a lot of them turn to drink and drugs to escape their reality.

As my mum would say "There but for the grace if God go I".

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The problem for us is that these people have a totally different sort of life to us and we don't know what sort of pressures they are under. 

I agree fully Josy ,over the last few months we have had several young women, throwing themselves off off one of our local motorway bridges ,for reasons that we will never know, some leaving children now without a mum ,so very sad . Chances are these were the quiet ones too proud to make a fuss or seek help. Growing up I'm pleased to say we never knew what a food bank was .

As your Mum would say ... "There but for the grace if God go I"

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

I just heard on the news that French air traffic controllers are doing their usual summer disruption, I hope that no-one has their cruise put at risk by the planes not being able to fly through French airspace.

I remember spending many hours in airports around Europe due to airplanes being diverted to avoid French disruptions when I travelled for work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You have the patience of a saint because if she had spoken to me like that I wouldnt have given them her and taken them back in and give them to somebody more grateful.

And someone more needy and less greedy than she obviously was. 

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

The problem for us is that these people have a totally different sort of life to us and we don't know what sort of pressures they are under.  Personally I can't imagine what I would do if I had to go to a foodbank because I couldn't afford to buy what I want.

When 19, married, buying a house and with a baby, I knew first-hand what is was like to live from payday to payday and have to count every ha'penny. Make do and mend was the order of the day and I was grateful for the bag of food Mum would help out with from time to time. We lived like that for 2 years and never once did I lose my manners towards anyone, my situation was not of their making.

Thankfully we quickly moved on from there, but I have never forgotton what it was like, so I can only assume that the rude people attending the food banks are in an unfamiliar situation. That however  is no excuse for rudeness and they should think twice before they bite the hand that feeds them.

Avril

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I just heard on the news that French air traffic controllers are doing their usual summer disruption, I hope that no-one has their cruise put at risk by the planes not being able to fly through French airspace.

I remember spending many hours in airports around Europe due to airplanes being diverted to avoid French disruptions when I travelled for work.

Keep you fingers crossed for me, please as we fly out to Sicily tomorrow. I should be packing but dived up to Tescos for one or two bits, am now on here while having a cup of coffee.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

When 19, married, buying a house and with a baby, I knew first-hand what is was like to live from payday to payday and have to count every ha'penny. Make do and mend was the order of the day and I was grateful for the bag of food Mum would help out with from time to time. We lived like that for 2 years and never once did I lose my manners towards anyone, my situation was not of their making.

Thankfully we quickly moved on from there, but I have never forgotton what it was like, so I can only assume that the rude people attending the food banks are in an unfamiliar situation. That however  is no excuse for rudeness and they should think twice before they bite the hand that feeds them.

Avril

Avril I think that like you many older people have faced more month than pay at some point in their lifetime. Manners costs nothing, I don’t care how much pressure people think they are under there is no excuse for rudeness.

We eat a lot of pulses and beans (and enjoy them) but at one point in time it was all we could afford. I think our expectations were lower as well.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My nephew is a social worker who mainly works trying to get people off the streets and into some sort of accommodation and he truly believes that a lot of them turn to drink and drugs to escape their reality.

I never thought of it like that, and your mum is right, "There but for the grace of god go I"

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

We took a picnic to the beach where it is currently windy and 14°C and the sea is choppy.

The daily DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry passed us about 30 minutes ago.

IMG_20220916_175953.jpg

I love to read about your days out Graham, it cheers me up when there is so much bad and sad news about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Amelia Noylam said:

I love to read about your days out Graham, it cheers me up when there is so much bad and sad news about.

Thank you Amelia.

I'm really pleased that you love to read our days out posts.

Your words make posting them worthwhile to me.

Graham x 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I'm all packed now and waiting for my son and his partner to arrive. I have to collect my daughter and her husband a bit later and bring them back here to wait for the car to take us up to Gatwick for tomorrow morning's flight. 

Sending you our best wishes for a wonderful holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I'm all packed now and waiting for my son and his partner to arrive. I have to collect my daughter and her husband a bit later and bring them back here to wait for the car to take us up to Gatwick for tomorrow morning's flight. 

Enjoy your holiday

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

But how much is your ISP contract ? Is it more than 40p a month ?

No ISP gives you free broadband, TV to Landline , so of course the bill is larger, but for the last 9 months my mobile bill has been zero, rather than £10. The landline will be next to go as it due to move to VOIP as copper cable are phased out, we have been told it will happen within next 6 to 9 months. As we rarely use the landline it won’t be missed as people usually call us on out mobiles, seems only scam artists still use landline. 

• Like 2

I have been bowling this evening, it was last Saturday's match rearranged, we started at 5 o'clock in the vain hope of finishing before it went dark because we don't have floodlights, we finally finished at 8:30 in the dark.  We could have afforded to lose the match in the interest of finishing while it was still light.

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Hope you have a lovely holiday and enjoy visiting family, fingers crossed for your flight.

• Thanks 1

We went to the beach again for our lunch today which is getting a bit of a habit lately since moving last year it only takes us a ten minute walk and I’m slow, salmon sandwiches again today but no wine this time just a flask of coffee, almost a beach to ourselves, cloudy at times but when sun was out it was hot .

BE0336B0-8B6C-43B9-89CF-553A86464A34.jpeg

• Like 9