P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

For those formal night enthusiasts.M&S at Bluewater is huge,never seen such a range of tux's.Different colours ,plain,velvet and mix and match,full suits from 129 quid.Hope my cheque is in the post now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

For those formal night enthusiasts.M&S at Bluewater is huge,never seen such a range of tux's.Different colours ,plain,velvet and mix and match,full suits from 129 quid.Hope my cheque is in the post now.

£129 is a pretty good price - my DHs was from C and A, about 25 years ago, and was £99 then.  All you need to make sure of is that it is if anything marginally too big, especially round the waist, or has adjustments, to accommodate future  possible weight gains.  DH did not have a 'good suit' any more, so this was the best thing to get for formals, plus the odd tweed jacket or blazer.  It fitted him pretty well for 20+ years, and he looked good in it, as do most men.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,just back from Bluewater.Bus from our town to Lakeside and half hour bus ride across Dartford crossing courtesy of bus pass.2 new shirts in John Lewis,Hayes and Bonner Jermin st.Tailored,614177020_IMG_20221130_152845636964.thumb.jpg.db3482c4c5ebcdf97588f594b5cbed20.jpg 2 for 80 quid.Never worn long sleeves for a few years.OK for our Warner stay over Christmas.

I must add I'm not a "Charlie big potatoes".That is a lot of money for me.Never spend more than 20 quid on a shirt normally Tesco or Peacocks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I must add I'm not a "Charlie big potatoes".That is a lot of money for me.Never spend more than 20 quid on a shirt normally Tesco or Peacocks.

Me too. Never, ever gone for expensive ‘brands’ where you’re paying mainly for the name + their greed.

Always M&S in the past, till they dropped the quality and upped the prices. Then I discovered that for basics Primark was much the same quality but hugely lower prices. Shirts, though, have come for years now from Brook Taverner, which I always assumed to be expensive until I realised they were actually cheaper than M&S but much better styling, fabric and quality. All online, apart from Primark.  Likewise my wife who seems to get everything from Seasalt and Gudrun Sjoden, but again all online. Haven’t been inside a shop for getting on for 3 years - and the butcher’s very kindly delivering his excellent hams and sausages & chipolatas ready for the sausage rolls this morning.

Thank goodness for the delivery people! Very badly paid and treated, but they do us all a huge service.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

£129 is a pretty good price - my DHs was from C and A, about 25 years ago, and was £99 then.  All you need to make sure of is that it is if anything marginally too big, especially round the waist, or has adjustments, to accommodate future  possible weight gains.  DH did not have a 'good suit' any more, so this was the best thing to get for formals, plus the odd tweed jacket or blazer.  It fitted him pretty well for 20+ years, and he looked good in it, as do most men.

I love a bargain. About 8 years ago Frank needed a new dinner suit, as he couldn't fasten the trousers properly. Browsing the sales in Barnsley's M&S I came across pair of trousers, his size, expanding waistband and a 'proper' sewn in, not stitched on silk stripe down the leg. They were a good match with the jacket, and at £25  I couldn't refuse.

The following week in the M&S sale in Meadowhall I couldn't believe my luck when I found the matching  jacket, with silk lapels for £60. I saved about £200 on that dinner suit and was really proud of myself. 

I hope it gets another airing soon😉

Avril

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

chipolatas 

That's taken me back about 60 years Harry and made me  chuckle.

When we moved to Barnsley from Staines, we were in the local butchers and Mum asked for a pound of chipolatas. The assistant looked confused and said 'What' so Mum repeated it and she said  'Sorry luv, we dun't sell that'  Mum pointed  them out in the cabinet and the assistant said ' Oh tha' means links a thin' 😄

It's a funny old world.😊

Avril

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

That's taken me back about 60 years Harry and made me  chuckle.

When we moved to Barnsley from Staines, we were in the local butchers and Mum asked for a pound of chipolatas. The assistant looked confused and said 'What' so Mum repeated it and she said  'Sorry luv, we dun't sell that'  Mum pointed  them out in the cabinet and the assistant said ' Oh tha' means links a thin' 😄

It's a funny old world.😊

Avril

Still called that in South Yorkshire, Avril?

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Still called that in South Yorkshire, Avril?

I don't think so Harry, but maybe kalos can confirm it. I see them labelled as chipolatas now.

At least if I ever come across 'links of thin' again I'll know what they are😁

So will you😄

Avril

15 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

If the contractors are called City Fibre - they are part of BT.  They are working their way around Leicestershire - causing chaos along the way.  They have been along every road in our village.  They don't connect to the individual properties but to the BT installations - street boxes, underground chambers and telegraph poles.  We weren't given any advance warning of the work and haven't received any marketing info as to the cost, etc.

Time will tell!

City Fibre are not owned by BT, 

This from City Fibre website

“CityFibre is based in London and is jointly owned by Antin Infrastructure Partners, Goldman Sachs Asset Management, Mubadala Investment Company and Interogo Holding.”

BT’s provisioning partner is the dreaded OpenReach, I had numerous projects delayed when working due their tardiness 

Morning all, have been madly cleaning the house including shampooing carpets & moving furniture round ready for the Xmas decks to go up shortly. No idea why as not having any visitors this year, it’s a bit like cleaning the oven before the Xmas dinner is cooked why? 
It’s a lovely day here today, took my friend into Lidl this morning so she could get some Xmas bits before her next round of chemo next week. We both seemed to come back with quite a few naughty treats! 
Going to write the cards & get them in the post this afternoon, have a good day everyone. 

• Like 6

On 11/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, Snow Hill said:

We have been bathed in fog all day, temperature struggled to reach 4C,  I was planning to put up my new security light, but it was too cold! If it was sunny and cold not too bad as wall light is going on faces due south.

I was hoping to hear when I would be picking up my new car today, I was told it had arrived in the U.K. on 24 Nov, but has disappeared from the system, so dealer doesn’t know where it it, has raised this with manufacturer so hopefully an answer soon, I was expecting to pick it up this week based on the depot date of 24 Nov, seems to be playing hide and seek. I hope my half a tank of fuel in current car will last until it arrives. 

My car has been found, not in U.K. where it should have been, it’s still on the dockside in Zeebrugge, delayed due to increased paperwork following the B word, according the manager dealing with the transfer from France to U.K., as production has ramped up the delays at ports have risen. Had it been on time I would be picking the car up today, no idea when it will get here now. 

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Me too. Never, ever gone for expensive ‘brands’ where you’re paying mainly for the name + their greed.

Always M&S in the past, till they dropped the quality and upped the prices. Then I discovered that for basics Primark was much the same quality but hugely lower prices. Shirts, though, have come for years now from Brook Taverner, which I always assumed to be expensive until I realised they were actually cheaper than M&S but much better styling, fabric and quality. All online, apart from Primark.  Likewise my wife who seems to get everything from Seasalt and Gudrun Sjoden, but again all online. Haven’t been inside a shop for getting on for 3 years - and the butcher’s very kindly delivering his excellent hams and sausages & chipolatas ready for the sausage rolls this morning.

Thank goodness for the delivery people! Very badly paid and treated, but they do us all a huge service.

I bought a couple of polo shirts and summer shirts from Primark,you are right.This other place was a different world though,like "Are you being served".Mr Humphreys even measured my neck size and produced the wrapped up articles from an old wooden draw under the counter.Amazing quality 59.00 each or 2 for 80.00.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 2

Hi everyone ,been to the dentist for my dental examination and got away with a bill

of £23.80,so that's it until next summer . 

I made the dentist giggle when I said " Goodbye and I hope you keep well. I wont say much more as every time I open my mouth, it costs me money !"😕

Sad to see Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac has died, great talent gone:classic_sad:

As we move into the season of good cheer, looking at the calendar ,we seem to have more 

strikes than a bowling alley !

Not all is bad , according to my deluxe chocolate advent calendar. only 3 days until Christmas . 

I love this time of year ,it's the only month you can shout DONT COME IN THE ROOM  and 

they wont cos they think your wrapping a present for them , nice to be left alone 😉

I can spend more time reading on here about the wondrous things people are making 

ready for Christmas !

Which reminds me ...:classic_unsure:

1455287142_ginhouse.jpg.0e152bcaf9fd3ab2977048a094ac62eb.jpg

• Haha 14

Just a heads up people !

Mrs k is a member of a local community web page .

She has just informed me that two separate incidents with private courier delivery's

have walked down their paths ,held the parcels near the door ,took a photograph, never

knocked on the door and started to walk off with their parcel  . Luckily both households 

were quick to open the door and challenge them .

Both have let the police know and photographed the cars registration and one gave the 

police CCTV evidence as trying to contact the courier firm is nigh on impossible .

It maybe fine where you live but keep an eye out if your expecting anything .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

I bought a couple of polo shirts and summer shirts from Primark,you are right.This other place was a different world though,like "Are you being served".Mr Humphreys even measured my neck size and produced the wrapped up articles from an old wooden draw under the counter.Amazing quality 59.00 each or 2 for 80.00.Cheers,Brian.

Suit you, Sir? 😉

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Hi everyone ,been to the dentist for my dental examination and got away with a bill

of £23.80,so that's it until next summer . 

I made the dentist giggle when I said " Goodbye and I hope you keep well. I wont say much more as every time I open my mouth, it costs me money !"😕

Sad to see Christine McVie from Fleetwood Mac has died, great talent gone:classic_sad:

As we move into the season of good cheer, looking at the calendar ,we seem to have more 

strikes than a bowling alley !

Not all is bad , according to my deluxe chocolate advent calendar. only 3 days until Christmas . 

I love this time of year ,it's the only month you can shout DONT COME IN THE ROOM  and 

they wont cos they think your wrapping a present for them , nice to be left alone 😉

I can spend more time reading on here about the wondrous things people are making 

ready for Christmas !

Which reminds me ...:classic_unsure:

1455287142_ginhouse.jpg.0e152bcaf9fd3ab2977048a094ac62eb.jpg

Love it. I’m making my own gingerbread house. I just wish my recipe was as quick and easy as yours!

• Like 2

We are in New Orleans today and tomorrow, just had a mooch through the French quarter and coffee and beignets, I had thechickory coffee which reminded me of the camp coffee we had as kids. The weather is great if a bit cooler than the Caribbean. We are now into our fourth week and still loving it.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are in New Orleans today and tomorrow, just had a mooch through the French quarter and coffee and beignets, I had thechickory coffee which reminded me of the camp coffee we had as kids. The weather is great if a bit cooler than the Caribbean. We are now into our fourth week and still loving it.

Be sure to spend some time at the stern watching the sail away tomorrow especially if you're likely to get a sunset.  We'd booked the Beach House (can't remenber which ship) but it was aft so had a fabulous meal soaking up the scene.  One of our favourite cruising memories.  Magical.  Enjoy. 

• Like 5

I should have said too that it lasts for hours.  We had no idea because we didn't see the sail-in because we arrived early morning so didn't realise just how long it took to sail up the Mississippi from the Gulf to New Orleans - apparently about 100 miles.  Even when it was dark the effect of the moonlight shining on the water between the Levees was unforgettable. 

• Like 5

I was ‘invited’ to sign up to edf ‘ beat the peak’ scheme to use less electricity at peak times during a few days over winter. I have signed up as there is nothing to lose, you get a financial reward by using less power at peak times (£3 per kWh) compared to normal usage at peak times. We don’t normally use power hungry appliances at peak times but to get the most out of the scheme you need to use them now at peak times on the other not ‘beat the peak’ days to up your normal usage at these times,  it seems a bit counter intuitive to me!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2