P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

I just received an email from my bank welcoming me to online banking. I have banked online with them for years!. There were several links including retrieving passwords etc - ALARM. I deleted it

Problem is I now don't even trust their online contact numbers and intend to go to my local branch, we still have one, and report it to them.

I had the same thing today from NatWest and I did the same as you.

You really have to have your wits about you these days, scammers are the scum of the earth!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

If it turns out you have dug up the roses..." should have gone to specsavers ".🤣

I didn't  dig up any plants other than weeds.

I think I will stick with my independent optician.  I have been going to this practice since I was 5 years old though the optician has changed over the years, the current one is the original one's grandson.

I was only going in to collect my new glasses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

We will meet up for definite. We have done Caribbean like you but flown both ways and done one Transatlantic but going the other way 

Michelle 

Looking forward to meeting you both already. We are on Iona in July, going to the Fjords, Azura for Christmas and New Year, never been away for Christmas before, lots of times for New Year. Not sure yet how Christmas away from our two families will be but we are going to see how it goes. 

A visit to Shrewsbury this evening for a meal before going to the theatre, no queuing or apps required😬

This was our 4th visit to Cote in the last 6 months and tonight was the busiest we have seen since pre-pandemic, 2 months ago on a Wednesday evening we were one of 3 couples in the restaurant, tonight’s there were many tables occupied. 

As far as theatre was concerned for the first time there were people in the Upper Circle, both Stalls and Circle were virtually full, this was for a play “Wish you were Dead” by Peter James on a Wednesday evening, good to see the theatre thriving again and jobs being created as a member of staff said to us tonight we have a number of new staff members on tonight for front of house, which is excellent news. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Are you considering relocating?  I personally have always found US customer service rather sycophantic and ungenuine but I suppose it depends which part of the US you are visiting.  Tourist areas never seem to keep promises made in advance and shoulders get shrugged just the same as here.

Not a tourist area . Iowa which is Sioux Indian territory. He teaches there. I could not afford to relocate as medical is too expensive unless you are a millionaire.

6 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Not a tourist area . Iowa which is Sioux Indian territory. He teaches there. I could not afford to relocate as medical is too expensive unless you are a millionaire.

You could always see the medicine man.

• Haha 7

Morning everyone,

Hope you're all well.

Sun's trying to get out here so looks like it might be a nice day.

A busy day for me today, I need to take a trip to Penzance station to get a refund on the train tickets I was sold, but the trains aren't running! I also still need to get one or two bits for our cruise at the weekend and I haven't started packing yet. I need to get myself into gear and get a move on, but don't seem to have any enthusiasm. 

Pam

• Like 6

14 hours ago, davecttr said:

I just received an email from my bank welcoming me to online banking. I have banked online with them for years!. There were several links including retrieving passwords etc - ALARM. I deleted it

Problem is I now don't even trust their online contact numbers and intend to go to my local branch, we still have one, and report it to them.

I always forward any suspect emails to  report@phishing.gov.uk  and The National Cyber Security Centre will investigate them. 

• Like 8

Report internet scams and phishing

Report misleading websites, emails, phone numbers, phone calls or text messages you think may be suspicious.

Do not give out private information (such as bank details or passwords), reply to text messages, download attachments or click on any links in emails if you’re not sure they’re genuine.

Emails

Forward suspicious emails to report@phishing.gov.uk.

The National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) will investigate it.

Text messages

Forward suspicious text messages to 7726 - it’s free.

This will report the message to your mobile phone provider.

• Like 7

Good morning all. The day has started dry and am hoping it will be less wet than the last few days.

I went to see Anton du Beke from Strictly last night  in his show “An evening with……” He was very good - the dancing was sublime and he sang quite a few numbers with a guy called Lance Ellington (who has been one of the Dave Arch singers) and together, they were excellent.

Whereas I’m sure for many, the evening would not be of interest - if you are a Strictly fan - I can recommend it. I’ve also booked to see Giovanni in Feb.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Report internet scams and phishing

Report misleading websites, emails, phone numbers, phone calls or text messages you think may be suspicious.

Do not give out private information (such as bank details or passwords), reply to text messages, download attachments or click on any links in emails if you’re not sure they’re genuine.

Emails

Forward suspicious emails to report@phishing.gov.uk.

The National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) will investigate it.

Text messages

Forward suspicious text messages to 7726 - it’s free.

This will report the message to your mobile phone provider.

Yes I will do that but i will visit my bank anyway as i want a definitive printed statement of my bank account balances without using online banking. Until this issue is clarified I am worried that using my online account may be compromised. Apart from one other reply here there is no mention of this 'scam' anywhere on the net.

If a bank emails an online customer welcoming them to online banking with 'helpful' links etc and that email contains all the normal things the bank includes it is suspicious because I have been online with that bank for years. It is either a new scam or an error within the bank. i want to know which.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Looking forward to meeting you both already. We are on Iona in July, going to the Fjords, Azura for Christmas and New Year, never been away for Christmas before, lots of times for New Year. Not sure yet how Christmas away from our two families will be but we are going to see how it goes. 

A Christmas cruise sounds lovely, on photos they always look beautifully decorated and I bet the atmosphere is great. I am sure you will have a memorable time. 

Michelle

• Like 2

14 hours ago, davecttr said:

Most banks will address you by name, will have part of your postcode, account number or address in the email, if it doesn’t then mostly likely a scam. No bank will ask you to update you details or provide information via a link embedded in the email.

You can always use the number quoted o the back of your card to contact them or those available on you online banking account. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes I will do that but i will visit my bank anyway as i want a definitive printed statement of my bank account balances without using online banking. Until this issue is clarified I am worried that using my online account may be compromised. Apart from one other reply here there is no mention of this 'scam' anywhere on the net.

If a bank emails an online customer welcoming them to online banking with 'helpful' links etc and that email contains all the normal things the bank includes it is suspicious because I have been online with that bank for years. It is either a new scam or an error within the bank. i want to know which.

I also received one of these yesterday - I bank with RBS.  It was confusing as I had just been online to look at my account and I wondered if I'd clicked on something about using the app (which I do not use) in error.  In light of your post I'll have another look at it as I just deleted it yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

I always forward any suspect emails to  report@phishing.gov.uk  and The National Cyber Security Centre will investigate them. 

Yes, I do the same and then delete them.

• Like 2

I've just rung RBS/Natwest on the number on my debit card..  There is a recorded message saying the emails were sent by them in error and as a result there will be a delay in answering telephone calls. It didn't state how many affected but I just hung up and left the message as deleted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just rung RBS/Natwest on the number on my debit card..  There is a recorded message saying the emails were sent by them in error and as a result there will be a delay in answering telephone calls. It didn't state how many affected but I just hung up and left the message as deleted.

Phew, panic over, just rang them myself and got the same message. How embarrassing for them, they must be snowed under with people complaining. No need to go to the bank now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Phew, panic over, just rang them myself and got the same message. How embarrassing for them, they must be snowed under with people complaining. No need to go to the bank now.

Online as well

Screenshot_20230511-090712_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, purplesea said:

After speaking to the oncologist, I am a little bit further forward as to what my treatment will involve and when. Treatment will probably be next month, but having rung my insurance to update them, I have been told that they cannot cover me for my tumour! So I solve one problem and another rears it's head!

I'm pleased you have finally got to talk to your oncologist and that your treatment plan is now a bit clearer. Did your insurance provider give you any other options or will you have to find another provider? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, davecttr said:

Good idea Dave. If I get anything remotely suspicious via email or text, regarding any of our online accounts, I phone the company concerned and check it out asap.  I don't use online contact numbers either. I made a note of the phone numbers that they give you when you set up up the accounts and put them in my phone log, that way even the calls are monitored. You can't be too careful nowadays.

I shall also use the site Rupert reccomended. Belt and braces approach.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Good idea Dave. If I get anything remotely suspicious via email or text, regarding any of our online accounts, I phone the company concerned and check it out asap.  I don't use online contact numbers either. I made a note of the phone numbers that they give you when you set up up the accounts and put them in my phone log, that way even the calls are monitored. You can't be too careful nowadays.

Avril

DH has a particular dislike when a bank, medical professional or somewhere else rings about something, even if the call is not unexpected, and then expects HIM to go through security (giving them information) before they will continue.  His opinion is that he needs to ask them to go through security and will ask a question, which invariably they will not answer.  His response is that he will ring them back on a number he is aware of, or they can write to him.  Often the person speaking cannot be accessed on a public number, so can cause delays on something he may need to know about, or indeed had made an online query about, but I do agree with him, cannot be too careful now yet most people would not question an expected call.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

My bank always warn about scams and also provide the last 4 numbers of my account and my name when contacting me online.

It is 13°C and sunny and I have my shorts and tee shirt on outside.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2