P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's the bacon/sausages/ boiled ham/ pork pies he's upset about kalos, not the sauce he put on them.😬

The diets going ok thanks kalos. Still taking some sorting out and I'm reading every label. It's  gets a little worrying at times though.......am I doing it right?.........I know the label's amber but is the salt level still ok?  I know I'll get used to it and it will become second nature soon.🤞

Frank's worth it, I never want to see him like that again.

The low salt diet is good for me too with my high BP👍

Avril

Aww bless been there not easy and yes it's good for you too,me and Mrs K eat the same foods .

At one time i was living on salads and porridge !  

Soon realised that my true goal was to lower   my salt intake and not eradicate it ,as we 

do need salt in our body's to function .

Things like bacon ,pre packed meats ,pork pies crisp and alcohol got the boot to give my heart a chance . I also cut down the portions to what I used to eat ,which in turn means less salt .

As for Frank  a odd amber here and there is not really bad ,so a couple of sausage that 

are low amber are ok with your morning eggs, toms toast and mushrooms 🙂

I do these at least once a week and I have just had my cardio review blood test and 

the nurse gave me my results "  I'm doing fine ,keep doing what I'm doing "

And I'm sure your doing fine Avril , just a pain having to think about what we eat innit ? 🙂

• Like 12

I don't know about anyone else, but amlopidine hasn't half brought my blood pressure down with a bang.  After a week it is now mostly about 125/70 ish, less this morning and unfortunately does have side effects -  a 'pounding' feeling in the heart occasionally, and slight dizziness, which I feel is my poor old body trying to get used to the new low level!  I only found about them after they had happened, so not my imagination.  Still 2 weeks until I see the GP again to hopefully be put on the anticoagulant, but I don't much like the present side effects.  The amlopidine is to slightly 'loosen' your arteries in the heart to make it easier for the blood to flow.  Anyone else on this?  All very new to me, as I thought my heart was in good nick.  I guess I too should give up on bacon and the odd pork pie, both of which I enjoy.  The joys of old age.

Anyway, sunny today though fairly cold, and no snow round here in the East Mids.  

I hope everyone is enjoying either a nice day at home, or even better a cruise or holiday somewhere warm.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

dogwalk.jpg.2611e6032040efd5c8386628fdc1f417.jpg.b2c4c18a353710efce461881878b2c8f.jpg

This reminds of seeing my sister this morning trying to persuade the geandchildren's dog that he wanted to go for walk, Bruno was not convinced.  I had already taken him out while I was waiting for the children to get ready for school. The girl had managed to leave her App!e watch in the footwell of my car so I went to put it in the house for her. She won't have a clue what she has done with it because although I have sent her a text she won't get it until they finish school because the school have some sort of software that blocks the mobiles while they are in school 😂😂

• Like 6

5 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

This must be a first me being in the wide awake club, we were up at silly o'clock as we have a taxi pick-up at 06:00 for Manchester airport. I haven't been out yet but by the state of the neighbours car it looks cold. Have a good day peeps.

Seem to recall you are off to one of the Canaries for a long break - maybe Spring will be here when you get back.   Enjoy!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

As for Frank  a odd amber here and there is not really bad ,so a couple of sausage that 

are low amber are ok with your morning eggs, toms toast and mushrooms 🙂

Our breakfast every morning has always been fruit juice, 2 weetabix and 70g blueberries and coffee for a while now.

Lunch is either a bowl of soup, or a couple of boiled eggs and toast, mackeral on toast, or tuna sandwich etc and followed with a yoghurt.

It's the dinner that's the problem, but I'm getting there. 

Avril

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

The amlopidine is to slightly 'loosen' your arteries in the heart to make it easier for the blood to flow.  Anyone else on this?  All very new to me, as I thought my heart was in good nick.  

Having high BP doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with your heart. I was told by my GP that blood pressure can occur in even the fittest and healthiest of people. As an example  he mentioned one 32 year old man fit, healthy and regularly runs in marathons, half marathons etc, but he just happens to have high BP.

I'm on an ace inhibitor too mine is Candesartan.

I would ave a word with your GP if the lightheadedness is still happening, better safe than sorry.

Take care.

I just re-read you post and as you've been on them for 2 weeks already I would have a word about the side effects.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 5

Thanks,  Dawn.   I do have a bit of a problem, atrial fibrillation, which means I need to go on an anticoagulant in addition to the candesartan and beta blocker I am already on, and have been on bp treatment for many years which recently has not been enough.  Seeing the GP soon with the bp diary I am having to do twice a day, and feel and hope the slight dizzy feeling will go off as I get used to the new youthful bp!  I should not complain, as up to now I have not needed much medication and it comes as a nasty surprise to need more than two tablets a day.  And I need to  remember  that I am actually pretty old and can't expect to go on for ever.  I just don't feel old, except occasionally.

Anyway, enough for now about health - at least we have had very good news that Frank is so much better after a nasty scare.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Reduced salt and sugar has it’s benefits but what irritates me is the predominant green colour which implies it is the healthy pure food option when it is likely to be highly processed and full of additives.

I must have consumed loads of highly processed and additive  full food over the years, and am still going reasonably well at a couple of weeks short of 80??!!

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our breakfast every morning has always been fruit juice, 2 weetabix and 70g blueberries and coffee for a while now.

Lunch is either a bowl of soup, or a couple of boiled eggs and toast, mackeral on toast, or tuna sandwich etc and followed with a yoghurt.

It's the dinner that's the problem, but I'm getting there. 

Avril

Sounds good to me ,Mrs K buys things like plain cod and steams it but now and again I like a small thin battered one from the chippy. Things like a cooked chicken meal and like last night a home made chicken curry ,uses a own brand Asda /Morrisons  jar as they are lower in salt.

A lot of stews this time of year with stew meat ,Yorkshire puds made minus the salt keeps us happy .

On the Soup we like Morrisons "Counted "Carrot & Coriander ,which is a lot green but they seem to run out of stock a lot . Oh and salmon and broccoli are good from their freezer section aint too bad either.. If your lucky to get out for a meal, Carvery's are good as turkey aint just for Christmas !

Plenty of nice veg just go steady with gravy's though as they can be high in salt .

Sardines on toast is one of my go to meals ,like you say your getting there 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Sounds good to me ,Mrs K buys things like plain cod and steams it but now and again I like a small thin battered one from the chippy. Things like a cooked chicken meal and like last night a home made chicken curry ,uses a own brand Asda /Morrisons  jar as they are lower in salt.

A lot of stews this time of year with stew meat ,Yorkshire puds made minus the salt keeps us happy .

On the Soup we like Morrisons "Counted "Carrot & Coriander ,which is a lot green but they seem to run out of stock a lot . Oh and salmon and broccoli are good from their freezer section aint too bad either.. If your lucky to get out for a meal, Carvery's are good as turkey aint just for Christmas !

Plenty of nice veg just go steady with gravy's though as they can be high in salt .

Sardines on toast is one of my go to meals ,like you say your getting there 😀

I used adsa butter chicken and sometimes the korma, but i stopped them because I thought they were high even though amber.🤫 We loved rich thick gravy, but I found 25% less salt bisto and make a small amount and thinner. Also zero salt Knorr stock pots which are perfect for my risotto. 

Avril

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I used adsa butter chicken and sometimes the korma, but i stopped them because I thought they were high even though amber.🤫 We loved rich thick gravy, but I found 25% less salt bisto and make a small amount and thinner. Also zero salt Knorr stock pots which are perfect for my risotto. 

Avril

How about baking your own ham?  If you bought your gammon from a butcher and left salt out of your brine I am sure the salt content would be drastically reduced. Also butchers sausage contain a lot less salt. You could have both occasionally for a treat. I believe it would help Frank if he knew they weren't gone forever

Especially as he is battling giving up smoking as well 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I don't know about anyone else, but amlopidine hasn't half brought my blood pressure down with a bang.  

I was prescribed this 18 months ago after my shoulder replacement op where they told me that the top figure (systolic?) was 200 just before they put me under anaesthetic, which I wouldn't have thought was too surprising.

After the op, my BP was monitored regularly during the next 24 hours and was back to normal - top figure around 120, but I was still prescribed them. I assume because it can go high. No side effects that I can recall however. Agree, worth mentioning to your GP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

I was prescribed this 18 months ago after my shoulder replacement op where they told me that the top figure (systolic?) was 200 just before they put me under anaesthetic, which I wouldn't have thought was too surprising.

After the op, my BP was monitored regularly during the next 24 hours and was back to normal - top figure around 120, but I was still prescribed them. I assume because it can go high. No side effects that I can recall however. Agree, worth mentioning to your GP

I thought it worth a quick call too as the side effects, if any, shouldn't last longer than a week. That was my GP's advice to me.

Frank was on Amlodipine, but they were the first meds they discarded when he was admitted into hospital and noted not be prescribed again.

Then again, we all react to meds differently. One size doesn't fit all😉

Avril

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought it worth a quick call too as the side effects, if any, shouldn't last longer than a week. That was my GP's advice to me.

Frank was on Amlodipine, but they were the first meds they discarded when he was admitted into hospital and noted not be prescribed again.

Then again, we all react to meds differently. One size doesn't fit all😉

Avril

I have been on Perindopril for about 20 years for my blood pressure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Bit off the wall, this, but anyone ever make use of the word ‘kenspeckle’?

@Eglesbrech perhaps?

I haven’t heard it years and I don’t use it but my Granny used to if she disapproved of what someone was wearing.

If any of us popped in before going to the dancing she would mutter it under her breathe but just loud enough to be heard. She did not hold with (at the time) the modern fashions which she defiantly felt were far too conspicuous to be worn out in public!

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your advice.  It is amazing what is now available for treating bp and warding off strokes, all with slightly different ways of working.  My lovely GP just said I need to go on an  anticoagulant but had to get the bp down first, so that is where we are at.  Yes, the symptoms should wear off - just been on it for a week so far.  I have just been spoilt by not needing much medication up to now, I am afraid.  I know lots of people on 12 or more tablets a day, and hope not to get to that stage.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I haven’t heard it years and I don’t use it but my Granny used to if she disapproved of what someone was wearing.

If any of us popped in before going to the dancing she would mutter it under her breathe but just loud enough to be heard. She did not hold with (at the time) the modern fashions which she defiantly felt were far too conspicuous to be worn out in public!

Thought you might know it. Only came across it today, listening to Michael Rosen’s Word of Mouth. Such a lovely word, kenspeckle, and sounds almost modern. Probably more or less extinct then from what you say. Shame! Nordic in origin, apparently. Highly appropriate maybe for so many of today’s ‘celebrities’.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

My aim now is to use the word whenever possible!  🙂

I was given a page per day callander at Christmas with unusual words and their definitions. Some I knew already but there have been the odd ones I didn’t, every day is a school day. Try these ones

refluent

bildungsroman

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was given a page per day callander at Christmas with unusual words and their definitions. Some I knew already but there have been the odd ones I didn’t, every day is a school day. Try these ones

refluent

bildungsroman

Good words!  The first I might have hazarded a reasonable guess at, but certainly not the second.  

On 1/16/2024 at 4:46 PM, Eglesbrech said:

I just don’t do it, I don’t see the point. January is a cold, miserable month so why add to the misery by going out for a nice meal and not having a decent glass of red, these small pleasures help to pass the winter.

I also don’t drink enough or often enough to feel the need to participate.

Same  with Vejanuary etc.

All these things are just gimmicks which are not necessary if you live in moderation all year round. Even if you don’t then a lot of people are putting themselves up for failure and may end up actually drinking more / eating more/ gaining more weight when they feel bad for failing.

Completely agree, exactly how I feel.

• Like 1