P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, ccpm said:

Lovely day here and I am just back from Sheringham where I got the enhanced digital passport submission done. Really easy took less than 15 minutes. Hoping I will get it within the 8-9 weeks it is before I sail.

Good luck with that. I did mine though the post office where they took the digital photo. It actually looked a bit like me and I got my new passport back in 10 days.

Just now, zap99 said:

Good luck with that. I did mine though the post office where they took the digital photo. It actually looked a bit like me and I got my new passport back in 10 days.

That is exactly my experience of the digital process at the Post Office and well worth the extra money. Hopefully mine will come back in 10 days too. Then just need to order the new LFT when available, do the PLF and decide whether to coach or drive.

31 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Prices here are ridiculous because as you suggest the coast especially Wells, Brancaster exploded from early 2009/10 I think. That has spread to other towns inland. Here in Holt, which I think of as a very small town, house prices are through the roof especially after Covid saw many run to their second homes here and many others thought it a good safe option. This knocks on to everything although I have to admit having just returned from the fish shop where cod and chips were from £13.95 (child). £18.95 is for monkfish and chips (small) so I did get that wrong  The server told me I have to remember they only open for 7-8 months per year.

We have friends in Wells. They’ve been there since the late 70s and tell the same story. On the plus side, their large old house not far from The Buttlands is now essentially a pension plan in itself. Lovely area though, and Holt is a delightful place.

We were staying in Salthouse a couple of years back on holiday and had fish and chips once from Eric’s on Fish Hill in Holt. Not bad, as I recall, and catered for my vegetarian family members too! You have a very nice deli too!

On a completely different tack, some years ago when we were staying not far away, our young daughter had quite a nasty eye infection. The surgery at Holt was exceptional. You might have had some connection with it.  If so, thanks!

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Dirty talk, Avril? I’m shocked! 😱

Now now Harry, you know what I meant. I was just finding a way around the  computor 'censor' and helping out my bro as in 'kok-eyed octopus' 😇

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You just upset all our Chinese members though,bro.

Don't you get upset though Brian you have better things to do before winter sets in .

Like checking your Peggler cockstop valves are in perfect working order :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Don't you get upset though Brian you have better things to do before winter sets in .

Like checking your Peggler cockstop valves are in perfect working order :classic_smile:

You got away with that one mate.I called a load of Yanks arsy on another board earlier.They didn't have a clue,they will now though,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hardly a northern coloquialism, have you never seen South Pacific or listened to its music which includes  "A cockeyed optimist".

Oh,it's a Yank thing then.Yeah,and you can spell.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Looking at Arcadia.

There is rust in places but looks in reasonable condition considering how long she has been out of service.

Graham.

IMG_20211016_152832.jpg

IMG_20211016_152945.jpg

IMG_20211016_152433.jpg

Still as lovely as she ever was to my eyes, Graham. Great to see her again.

We should have been on her in the Med now😢

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Still as lovely as she ever was to my eyes, Graham. Great to see her again.

We should have been on her in the Med now😢

Avril

Sorry to hear that Avril.

Several of the cabins were in use and those cabins had furniture on the balcony.

Graham.

11 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Hope you successful with shoe / boot shopping! I’m only a few miles from Bournemouth and it’s sunny here so maybe a paddle to relieve tired feet afterwards….?

You must be quite close to me then , I live in southbourne now just 5 mins walk to the beach, moved from Christchurch a few weeks back , and really love it .

went to Bournemouth on the bus today because we went for a meal also and had a bottle of wine 😋 shoe hunting was easy he ended up with 3 pairs so that should last him a while then I had my nails done for going away to London then we caught the bus home learned the new bus numbers to take and learned how expensive it is , in total the cheapest option cost me £13.70 🥴 

B346DDE5-0B98-4751-B66E-09683BA946BB.jpeg

4F35434D-D483-442E-ABFE-2AF50659CAAC.jpeg

FE435279-FCCF-48C6-9033-156EF9679780.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

You must be quite close to me then , I live in southbourne now just 5 mins walk to the beach, moved from Christchurch a few weeks back , and really love it .

went to Bournemouth on the bus today because we went for a meal also and had a bottle of wine 😋 shoe hunting was easy he ended up with 3 pairs so that should last him a while then I had my nails done for going away to London then we caught the bus home learned the new bus numbers to take and learned how expensive it is , in total the cheapest option cost me £13.70 🥴 

Food looks lovely and well deserved after successful shoe shopping.

I moved to Dorset three weeks ago and am a couple of miles north of Poole. I love it here too.

Gill x

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We have friends in Wells. They’ve been there since the late 70s and tell the same story. On the plus side, their large old house not far from The Buttlands is now essentially a pension plan in itself. Lovely area though, and Holt is a delightful place.

We were staying in Salthouse a couple of years back on holiday and had fish and chips once from Eric’s on Fish Hill in Holt. Not bad, as I recall, and catered for my vegetarian family members too! You have a very nice deli too!

On a completely different tack, some years ago when we were staying not far away, our young daughter had quite a nasty eye infection. The surgery at Holt was exceptional. You might have had some connection with it.  If so, thanks!

No connection with the surgery I have only lived here for almost 3 years but they are great especially their management team everything just runs so smoothly. I don't get fish and chips much but Erics I think opens year round, Alberts maybe but the one I used this week is slighty further down in the centre I was heading to Baker and Larners for some bits so went there. Byfords is still great but again their eatery is very expensive, they also now have posh B&B. I think the upsurge in more delis, wine shops and coffee places here is all demonstrating a move to appeal to mainly upmarket retirees. I originally wanted to buy in Wells but what would have cost £50,000 in 2001 will now fetch £500,000+. I am using an actual example here and it was a 2 bed cottage in one of the yards where I stayed on holiday a few times. 

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I can't get over the trend now of large portions of items and then giving you a measly half a tomato.Looks like you got a third,I would have sent it back,lol.

We have noticed that and it isn't like they are an expensive item is it ? 

Going out for a meal you never know what they will serve your food on either :classic_unsure: gone are the days when they would serve up on a round plate .It's anyone's guess really ,a plank of wood or some old slate that was once a roof tile, sauce pans ,frying pans anything that comes to hand really ,expect your food on one of the above . Some are even doing family share platters and it wouldn't surprise me if one day you find your meal on an old car bonnet :classic_unsure: Come to think of it I remember one hot day someone saying "you could fry an egg on this " .. You can expect anything these days and maybe a plate if your lucky .I wonder what would happen if when you order your meal  you asked for a plate would they just chuck you out of the establishment for being weird and causing trouble ?:classic_unsure:

I could understand it if I was in a Greek restaurant as they dance around and smash their plates anyway ,so there you could understand them not having a plate for your meal :classic_smile:

Take care and have a nice day everyone ! :classic_love:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

I looked at the first picture and thought ' that looks like Miller and Carter onion loaf ' . Then scrolled down and realised how sad I really am. That can go on our list for next time we pop down to Bournemouth for the weekend. Being retired now, we can have our weekends in the middle of the week and save a few Bob.🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Yes I recognise the Miller & Carter onion loaf......love it! We went to our local one last week for my birthday, fabulous steak, just perfect 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We have noticed that and it isn't like they are an expensive item is it ? 

Going out for a meal you never know what they will serve your food on either :classic_unsure: gone are the days when they would serve up on a round plate .It's anyone's guess really ,a plank of wood or some old slate that was once a roof tile, sauce pans ,frying pans anything that comes to hand really ,expect your food on one of the above . Some are even doing family share platters and it wouldn't surprise me if one day you find your meal on an old car bonnet :classic_unsure: Come to think of it I remember one hot day someone saying "you could fry an egg on this " .. You can expect anything these days and maybe a plate if your lucky .I wonder what would happen if when you order your meal  you asked for a plate would they just chuck you out of the establishment for being weird and causing trouble ?:classic_unsure:

I could understand it if I was in a Greek restaurant as they dance around and smash their plates anyway ,so there you could understand them not having a plate for your meal :classic_smile:

Take care and have a nice day everyone ! :classic_love:

We had a meal in America. It was a car themed restaurant. The side of fries came up in a car hubcap. They have big hubcaps, but there were 3 of us. As regards the tomatoes, down south we have a tomato crisis, all to do with lorry drivers, I think. A third of a tomato is a third too much as far as I am concerned. I would not complain as I am not allowed to. Upsets some folk.🍅🍲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1