P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Yes, I had one which got lost - just saying that having had a broken bone problem (in fact two, with the same femur, resulting in two lots of metal plates and screws) I certainly relate to the tripping over thin air , and I would think that probably with a fairly newly broken foot a wheelchair would be more likely to be useful than a walker, though it would be good to try one before you sail, if you can borrow one or visit a mobility shop, as it makes life easier for the potential wheelchair pushers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We went on a cruise excursion to Pisa a few years ago, even though the trip was classed as low fitness required and ok for wheelchairs the few hundred metres of cobbled street between the coach park and site was a challenge for the wheelchair user and their pusher!

Probably shook few fillings loose for the poor wheelchair user too I would imagine🥴

Avril

• Like 1

It’s a fairly dull Sunday here.  Not warm, not cold.  No sun, a little rain earlier but now dry

i decided it was time we ate the Turkey joint which has been sitting in the freezer all year, after I decided I’d best make contingency plans for Xmas 2021 (things were quite fluid, if you remember)

It was fine.  Nice to have a roast occasionally, though I could really do without the faff

0FFE486D-A596-4F50-879E-E797B8335FDB.thumb.jpeg.e02ccf3d469438fea8c0d029e7c44013.jpeg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s a fairly dull Sunday here.  Not warm, not cold.  No sun, a little rain earlier but now dry

i decided it was time we ate the Turkey joint which has been sitting in the freezer all year, after I decided I’d best make contingency plans for Xmas 2021 (things were quite fluid, if you remember)

It was fine.  Nice to have a roast occasionally, though I could really do without the faff

0FFE486D-A596-4F50-879E-E797B8335FDB.thumb.jpeg.e02ccf3d469438fea8c0d029e7c44013.jpeg

Exactly what we decided.  Just the weather for it too!  Aren’t freezers wonderful?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Exactly what we decided.  Just the weather for it too!  Aren’t freezers wonderful?

Running our freezer stock down at the moment ready for a defrost. Oven cooked frozen fish, chips and onion rings , tinned mushy peas and gravy for uz tea tonight.

Normally have 88 yo MIL round for Sunday lunch but she was out with my wife yesterday for a nurses reunion and out to see Craig Revel Horwood show last night, wife said it was one of the best shows she's been to.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 3

Hope your all having a good Bank Holiday , to me everyday is a bank holiday due to 

being a newbie in the retirement ranks .

I read on here about de frosting the freezer ,possibly a bank holiday job ,who knows?

Thinking back to when I was a lad ,that never happened as we only had a "cold Slab "

in our pantry and food was different back then . 

Foods such as Kale, Butternut squash, Granola, Salted Caramel and veggie fish fingers

had not been invented yet , in my world anyhow .:classic_unsure:

Once our family came in to the high tech world of owning a fridge with a small freezer 

box attached , our world changed a bit . Crammed into our mini freezer would be foods 

such as, a box of fish fingers , 8 Walls pork sausages and the one that really sticks in 

my mind was the 6 pack of cheese & tomato pizza's ,nick named Carpet pizza's !

Oh and we always had a good supply of ice pops to suck on :classic_love:

The can of Nesquick was now banished to the back of our pantry now we could 

have such delights as a box of choc ices .

Our tastes have changed thanks to the humble fridge freezer over the years ,lots 

of meals forgotten but some even stored in our freezers .

Where would we be without our freezers ? Enjoy your day/defrost :classic_smile:

• Like 11

On 5/1/2022 at 7:03 AM, SarahHben said:

Morning 

My mum fell over while crossing the road yesterday afternoon and has broken her foot, 3 weeks before our cruise. She’s in a non weight bearing boot until Wednesday but then may  have to go in a cast.
I’ve been awake half the night thinking of all the consequences for the cruise plans. The hospital have given her crutches but she’ll be a liability on those so dads going to try to borrow a lightweight folding wheelchair.
I’m going to call the Holiday Inn Express and as if my parents can have a ground floor room.

They are booked on the Pulpit Rock boat trip so we need to try to find out if that is suitable for someone using crutches or a wheelchair, and then they were supposed to be going on the troll cars at Birksdall Glacier from Olden but I realised in the night that there’s an uneven storey walk once you get off the troll cars so they might have to cancel that. 🥴

At least they are traveling with me and my husband and my sister and my brother-in-law so we can all help her.

Best laid plans and all that ….

Oh no Sarah, sorry to hear this. Sounds like you’re getting everything organised though and as you say there’s plenty of help in your party.

You’ve got to go - we’ve been waiting so long to hear how you find your first cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on a fairly last minute trip today. Mum and Dad took me to Betteshanger country park. (John had to work) It’s ‘built’ on an old coal mine site.Kent did have a few mines and my Grandad’s family moved down from Yorkshire to work there.

My Dad worked from 15-25 years old in the Betteshanger pit. It’s in the Deal area.

There was a small museum there and a cafe where we had some panini’s for lunch.

We went for a walk but loads of people take bikes there and they hire out bikes too. 

I must admit the bikes were quite aggressive and I found it a bit stressful as they were whizzing past as such speed and my mum keeps plodding along on her walker without stopping for anyone! Still we made it out in one piece 😆

My Dad in the museum 

E5054051-1EAB-4BDF-B2FC-EB66EE00ABB8.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 9

Into Lincoln today with my wife to buy a Daniella Draper charm and necklace, in readiness  for our 40th wedding anniversary.  

It's  nice to support a local designer, using "recycled " silver to produce new jewellery. Lovely shop, lovely staff, and my wallet hardly felt a thing ! 

As a thank you,  my wife allowed me a bottle of wine tonight,  on a "dry" Monday ! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Into Lincoln today with my wife to buy a Daniella Draper charm and necklace, in readiness  for our 40th wedding anniversary.  

It's  nice to support a local designer, using "recycled " silver to produce new jewellery. Lovely shop, lovely staff, and my wallet hardly felt a thing ! 

As a thank you,  my wife allowed me a bottle of wine tonight,  on a "dry" Monday ! 

You old softie Wowzz!

On 4/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, bobstheboy said:

Am I the only one without a posh dinner/tea service  ?  😄😄😄😄

Ditto,the back of mine says China from China.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Ditto,the back of mine says China from China.

Talking of plates an old classic for you all :classic_smile: ...

Freddie Mercury had just finished his meal in a Greek restaurant when the waiter came over

with a couple of plates for him to smash.

"Can you go and get me another one please?" Asked Freddie.

"Why?" Asked the waiter.

🎶 "I want to break three." 🎶  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Have a good day everyone :classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 4/30/2022 at 11:34 AM, bobstheboy said:

Good for you. With a family and coming from a working class family, expensive china was never an option. Since those days I am too clumsy to be trusted with expensive breakables !  

LOL,my old man used to buy his from those blokes at Petticoat Lane who used to chuck whole dinner services across the stall to each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We have had a dull showery morning but fortunately it has started to brighten up so hopefully I won't get soaked when I  am bowling this afternoon.

Good luck Josy.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

LOL,my old man used to buy his from those blokes at Petticoat Lane who used to chuck whole dinner services across the stall to each other.

There was a Joe Edwards who had a crockery stall on Barnsley market that did the same thing. I would stand for ages watching him pile a dinner service along his arm, and toss it from one arm to the other.

Sis

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

There was a Joe Edwards who had a crockery stall on Barnsley market that did the same thing. I would stand for ages watching him pile a dinner service along his arm, and toss it from one arm to the other.

Sis

Brucie had one on the generation game once,bro.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Talking of plates an old classic for you all :classic_smile: ...

Freddie Mercury had just finished his meal in a Greek restaurant when the waiter came over

with a couple of plates for him to smash.

"Can you go and get me another one please?" Asked Freddie.

"Why?" Asked the waiter.

🎶 "I want to break three." 🎶  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Have a good day everyone :classic_love:

Strange how some words when sung sound entirely different kalos..

Everytime I hear Bonnie Tyler sing 'It's a Heartache' I only hear 'It's a Hard Egg' and 'Message in a Bottle', instead of 'a year has come and gone since I wrote my note'- I'd swear he sings 'a year has come and gone since I broke my nose'🙄

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Strange how some words when sung sound entirely different kalos..

Everytime I hear Bonnie Tyler sing 'It's a Heartache' I only hear 'It's a Hard Egg' and 'Message in a Bottle', instead of 'a year has come and gone since I wrote my note'- I'd swear he sings 'a year has come and gone since I broke my nose'🙄

Avril

I know where you're coming from Avril .

Bon Jovi’s ‘Livin’ On A Prayer,  “It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not”

Some used to think it was ..“It doesn’t make a difference if we're naked or not” :classic_blush:

As for you and your Bro's market experiences , they remind me of a guy who used 

to address his male mates as *****. Now I think this was just a term of saying "mate".

To him this was normal and you would hear him going around the market asking 

things like .." As tha got any beetroot on thi ***** ?" A Yorkshire expression ? :classic_unsure:

It never sounded right to me ,so I kept well clear when he went up to the crab stalls :classic_ohmy:

Why he thought we were male chickens  not a pile of stars ?

Thinking about it Scotland have wee hens as well :classic_huh: 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1