P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Am I the only one finding the fine dining photos unnecessary at a time when many are facing the prospect of choosing food or heat this winter ? I enjoy a meal out as much as anyone, together with a couple of days in a nice hotel but don't continually post on here.

I understand where're you're coming from but I'm also concerned for those folks who are finding it so hard to keep their hospitality businesses afloat, their staff in jobs and their suppliers paid. I spoke to a chef in one of my local restaurants just yesterday... I've known him for years... since he left school... he's lucky still to have a job, restaurant after restaurant has folded whilst he's been employed there and now he's right back where he started but as the sous-chef.

However this is a diversionary thread on a site dedicated to the joys of what many people would regard "luxury" cruising... which could also be considered as "unnecessary" or inappropriate... but we certainly don't think so. 

As folks who have always looked out and supported those friends, relatives and members of our family who have more years of wisdom and life-experience that we do... we know the real problem of balancing budgets and, like millions of other people who can, we have always taken constructive steps to make sure that people in our family our friends and our neighbours, have a comfortable, worry-free life and know that they're part of a caring, considerate, family and community. We know, from experience, that they would do the same for us.

Many of these posts have been intended to bring happiness, joy and light-heartless in what may, at times, seemed the bleakest of moments. Many of these posts have been made with care, consideration and in the spirit of generosity. Many have been made to amuse, to take minds away from less enjoyable thoughts and to create a pleasant, friendly on-line community... remember when we were all virtually stuck at home!

In the bleakest of days... when we couldn't go out, when our nearest family was hundreds of miles away, when we couldn't get a grocery delivery... without even knowing the situation or being asked... our neighbours rallied around and brought us bags of groceries. Fresh vegetables, milk, bread, gigantic boxes of breakfast cereals. Since then we've responded... we batch cooked, we've done free cakes, "take aways" and we buy in bulk at trade prices and share with friends and neighbours. We're not unique... lots of people we know do the same... it's not charity... it's called friendship.

To our mind, there's no difference between posting about meals out, multiple cruises in a year, buying into suites, stop-overs in hotels, jetting around the globe or even telling everyone in a particular tiny corner of cyberspace about a new car. 

If in doubt... it's always best to have other people's views and to generously share!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Am I the only one finding the fine dining photos unnecessary at a time when many are facing the prospect of choosing food or heat this winter ? I enjoy a meal out as much as anyone, together with a couple of days in a nice hotel but don't continually post on here.

If I am in the minority and upsetting people I will walk away from this thread. 

We just had coffee and bacon rolls at the wightlink terminal. No photo's, folk can use their imagination.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We just had coffee and bacon rolls at the wightlink terminal. No photo's, folk can use their imagination.

Is that the rooftop fine dining (on top of the car park).We were there in May.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that showing a very special meal, unusual presentation etc is certainly worth posting. 

I don't think anyone is saying that any one subject should be banned, rather that perhaps in today's world a little awareness is in order.

That's a bit too woke for me Wowzz, I don't believe that posting or reading about any enjoyable experience needs to be diluted  because of any current situation.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that showing a very special meal, unusual presentation etc is certainly worth posting. 

I don't think anyone is saying that any one subject should be banned, rather that perhaps in today's world a little awareness is in order.

Some folk who come on here do so to escape all the rubbish in the world. Folk post Thier posh meals, new cars, flowers in the garden etc and enjoyable they are too. Anybody out there want to see a copy of my electric bill?. I doubt it. Graham's Mcflurry was not to controversial, or was it, did it offend anyone. We will probably have lobster for lunch.🦞🦞🤣

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thank you.

I will walk away because I do not want to stop people posting their photos which give others enjoyment. I am not being political, it is a humanitarian crisis, but, on reflection such discussions are not for this forum.

Take care everyone.

Hi Bob.

No need to walk away just scroll past food pictures.

I post lots of our food photos on Royal Caribbean and HAL forums and my American and Canadian friends love the food photos I post and ask for more if I haven't posted any for a while.

I post some of my food photos on here because I don't want to show favouritism to the other forums when we have been a close group for 2 and a half year's and some on here like food photos.

I post our Reverends Sunday sermons after requests from friends on the HAL forums.

Take care Bob whatever you decide.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning :classic_smile:

Sorry to read Purplesea and Sharon have caught the dreaded but the good news is,

it seems to be staying mild for you both.

Sorry but you both have to go into isolation, not on the naughty step but the poorly step 😉

My wife went upstairs to get some tablets. I think she's coming down with something.😀

Nope false alarm she's gone back up again .😊

Take care and have a good day everyone .:classic_love:

Thank you for making me chuckle. I was feeling a bit on the low side. 

I still feel very tired with no energy and light headed, so just taking it easy. OH has also tested positive this morning.

Take care all.

Pam 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Bob.

No need to walk away just scroll past food pictures.

I post lots of our food photos on Royal Caribbean and HAL forums and my American and Canadian friends love the food photos I post and ask for more if I haven't posted any for a while.

I post some of my food photos on here because I don't want to show favouritism to the other forums when we have been a close group for 2 and a half year's and some on here like food photos.

I post our Reverends Sunday sermons after requests from friends on the HAL forums.

Take care Bob whatever you decide.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Graham. Please carry on posting your photos. Love them, but still not sold on the beanz in little pots.🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

I understand where're you're coming from but I'm also concerned for those folks who are finding it so hard to keep their hospitality businesses afloat, their staff in jobs and their suppliers paid. I spoke to a chef in one of my local restaurants just yesterday... I've known him for years... since he left school... he's lucky still to have a job, restaurant after restaurant has folded whilst he's been employed there and now he's right back where he started but as the sous-chef.

However this is a diversionary thread on a site dedicated to the joys of what many people would regard "luxury" cruising... which could also be considered as "unnecessary" or inappropriate... but we certainly don't think so. 

As folks who have always looked out and supported those friends, relatives and members of our family who have more years of wisdom and life-experience that we do... we know the real problem of balancing budgets and, like millions of other people who can, we have always taken constructive steps to make sure that people in our family our friends and our neighbours, have a comfortable, worry-free life and know that they're part of a caring, considerate, family and community. We know, from experience, that they would do the same for us.

Many of these posts have been intended to bring happiness, joy and light-heartless in what may, at times, seemed the bleakest of moments. Many of these posts have been made with care, consideration and in the spirit of generosity. Many have been made to amuse, to take minds away from less enjoyable thoughts and to create a pleasant, friendly on-line community... remember when we were all virtually stuck at home!

In the bleakest of days... when we couldn't go out, when our nearest family was hundreds of miles away, when we couldn't get a grocery delivery... without even knowing the situation or being asked... our neighbours rallied around and brought us bags of groceries. Fresh vegetables, milk, bread, gigantic boxes of breakfast cereals. Since then we've responded... we batch cooked, we've done free cakes, "take aways" and we buy in bulk at trade prices and share with friends and neighbours. We're not unique... lots of people we know do the same... it's not charity... it's called friendship.

To our mind, there's no difference between posting about meals out, multiple cruises in a year, buying into suites, stop-overs in hotels, jetting around the globe or even telling everyone in a particular tiny corner of cyberspace about a new car. 

If in doubt... it's always best to have other people's views and to generously share!

Excellent post.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Is that the rooftop fine dining (on top of the car park).We were there in May.

Yes, that's the one. We had a choice of brown, or red sauce. That's posh for you. We don't need to be PC. We live in Woke..ing.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I enjoy looking at the food pictures and any other photos, keep them coming everyone.

This thread is to discuss anything and I for one have bern grateful for it over the last couple of years. 

It has been interesting to see what we have all been up to going about our daily lives. 
Keep on posting everyone 

Michelle

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree with your sentiments ,no one is saying ban food photo's and who is to judge what is 

deemed "special" ?  Personally for me who has just recently felt safe to go out and about ,

every meal out is special to us at the moment but that's us .

I do not know what event was going off in Cleethorpes Wowzz but from the pier to the 

leisure centre was crammed with traders stalls ,even a pub was set up , the crowds 

were spending without a care in the world .

Which brings me to one of your haunts Papas on the pier, chippy looked to be crammed 

with queues .So we went to one of my favourites on St Peters avenue , which was busy 

but not crammed ,as it's not on the sea front . I remember you or Harry asking about top

rated chippy's .Here's one "Ocean Fish Bar" ..From the outside it looks like a take away but 

to the back is a nice restaurant built in, with a nice wine bar . I suppose the latter is no good

to you if your out driving . 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I wouldn't describe my Sunday fry up pic as fine dining.

You keep posting them Brian . Fine dining to me means small portions and I once had

a full English in such a place and tried to send it back as I had a crack in the plate.

The waiter told me that " the crack was actually my slice of bacon. " Silly me 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

14 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I enjoy looking at the food pictures and any other photos, keep them coming everyone.

This thread is to discuss anything and I for one have bern grateful for it over the last couple of years. 

It has been interesting to see what we have all been up to going about our daily lives. 
Keep on posting everyone 

Michelle

Absolutely. This thread and the sheer range of topics that have been discussed over the last few years has been an absolute joy. It has kept me (relatively) sane and also kept my interest alive in cruising.

I love to read and see all your posts. Long may it continue!

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Absolutely. This thread and the sheer range of topics that have been discussed over the last few years has been an absolute joy. It has kept me (relatively) sane and also kept my interest alive in cruising.

I love to read and see all your posts. Long may it continue!

You might be getting a long lost family section soon when I find my relos.As I said once before my GGGrandpa was probably Jack the Ripper.I was born in the Whitechapel area.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Thank you for making me chuckle. I was feeling a bit on the low side. 

I still feel very tired with no energy and light headed, so just taking it easy. OH has also tested positive this morning.

Take care all.

Pam 

I came off Ventura a couple of weeks ago and tested positive the next day, I had headaches and the feeling of a bad cold lasted about a week hubby didn’t get it. Hope you feel better soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear your poorly too Sharon, get better Soon. 

Got a bit of sun today dare I say it looks a bit autumnal! On a roll with complaints & getting things fixed found out you can request a shield  for street lamps shining in your home, so I’ve filled in the form on the council site, only took a few moments, I’ve only been moaning about it for 15 years. We live in a dark skies area, but the lights stay on all night crazy in such a rural area. 
Stay well or feel better everyone & have a good weekend. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You might be getting a long lost family section soon when I find my relos.As I said once before my GGGrandpa was probably Jack the Ripper.I was born in the Whitechapel area.

Family history is one of my interests, and it’s amazing you can dig up.

My great grandfather was a Relieving Officer at Mile End Workhouse, and he left comments on paperwork relating to the committal of one of the paupers to Colney Hatch  Asylum. That person who was sent to the asylum was Aaron Kominski, one of the suspects in the Jack the Ripper case. 

Regarding the posting of food photos. As long as people keep to the forum rules, they can post what they like, and I don’t think it is up to forum members to tell others what is acceptable to post. As always, if something is not of interest, you can just scroll on by.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

@zap99 you could afford a bacon roll & coffee after buying a ferry ticket? 🤣 Have a great time, keep us posted food & all! 

Off to Warner's for a Ska weekend. Food probably won't be worth photographing. No photo's from DW on her FB in case our son sees them. Too embarasing for him.......second thoughts, he embarassed us often enough. Dad, what's Bluebeat.?🤔

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

There was a super programme on Channel 4 this week, which had two 77 year olds who were the result of wartime liaisons with black GIs.  Both traced their stateside families eventually and it was obvious the affect it had on them.

Good luck with your search

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had visions of you with a spade and lantern in the church yard late at night .😙😉

• Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My great grandfather was a Relieving Officer at Mile End Workhouse, and he left comments on paperwork relating to the committal of one of the paupers to Colney Hatch  Asylum. That person who was sent to the asylum was Aaron Kominski, one of the suspects in the Jack the Ripper case. 

Regarding the posting of food photos. As long as people keep to the forum rules, they can post what they like, and I don’t think it is up to forum members to tell others what is acceptable to post. As always, if something is not of interest, you can just scroll on by.

Lol,that's an old East end saying "you belong in Koney Ach",I was told that loads of times.Seriously all I know was that my Mum was a 16 year old Irish catholic girl pregnant in 1952,nuf said about that scenario.

• Like 4