P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well I haven’t read this thread for a few days, where to start...!

I’m not going to say everything as I’ll go on forever! 
Went food shopping for my parents (80 & 82) yesterday and it is one of the most stressful things I do at the moment! My mum used to work at M&S so she wanted me to go there today.

Had to queue for nearly half an hour to get in but it was very civilised and everyone was keeping to the marked out lines. However there were a high percentage of people who were definitely over 70, I thought the advice was they were supposed to stay in? Anyway I have to say once inside the shop it is noticeable that the older ones were not good at the social distancing. Not liking confrontation I dished out a few glares. 

Anyway  I have to say I was a bit sad when I dropped the shopping off to hear my son had put ‘zoom’ on my dad’s laptop (he dropped it off outside their door, he’d had it for a while updating it for him) and they’d all had a lovely chat!! My son has a son who I normally look after every Wednesday. He’s the absolute apple of my eye and I miss him a lot, he’s such a happy boy (17 months)

We haven’t had a phone line for a week so no internet and relying on my phone data so didn’t want to ‘waste’ too much of it on a video call but I’m gobsmacked my Dad has managed ‘zoom‘ !! We haven’t even set it up yet! My internet better be up and running soon as I want to see my grandson. 

Sorry for rambling on, I’ll stop there!

Edited by P&O SUE

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I thought the advice was they were supposed to stay in?

The advice,  currently as I understand it, is for over 70s to practice "social distancing"  . My 93 year old mother still does her daily 45 minute walk every day, but we have at least managed to persuade her to let her neighbours shop for her. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The advice,  currently as I understand it, is for over 70s to practice "social distancing"  . My 93 year old mother still does her daily 45 minute walk every day, but we have at least managed to persuade her to let her neighbours shop for her. 

Thank you. My parents did their 2 visits a week to supermarkets right up to the day lockdown was announced. My dad asked me could he walk round the corner to post a letter and I said I didn’t see why he couldn’t but then I worried he’d somehow catch it!

He’s only been out for medical appointments since lockdown. He was surprised he had to queue outside for his B6 injection and called in one at a time! I told him the world had changed since he’d last been out! 😄

I’m surprised my mum didn’t get one of those 12 week letters as she has Parkinson’s amongst other issues. 

Edited by P&O SUE

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you. My parents did their 2 visits a week to supermarkets right up to the day lockdown was announced. My dad asked me could he walk round the corner to post a letter and I said I didn’t see why he couldn’t but then I worried he’d somehow catch it!

He’s only been out for medical appointments since lockdown. He was surprised he had to queue outside for his B6 injection and called in one at a time! I told him the world had changed since he’d last been out! 😄

I’m surprised my mum didn’t get one of those 12 week letters as she has Parkinson’s amongst other issues. 

I have to say,  that I'm pretty sanguine about my Mum going "walkabout". She walks round the local neighbourhood, where there are very few people about, and my understanding is that the chances of transmission in the open,  assuming you keep your distance, are very slight. 

As my Mum says, no body told her to keep inside when the V1s and V2s were landing!

• Like 3

I shopped for my mum (almost 90) yesterday. Sainsburys not too stressful, in fact very organised.  I make a point of thanking the staff as I think a little appreciation goes a long way!  Mum not too well so I went in and unpacked shopping while she went in the other room, then had to wipe down the fridge and freezer! What a palava!  Sat out in her garden for a chat and it was very pleasant in the sun. On the way home the local park was empty, it's usually full of mums with young children on a nice day.

Back home to the decorating, finding it difficult to get in the mood but I know we will be pleased when it's  done.

• Like 2

Had to collect a repeat prescription yesterday. Sixth in the queue and only one person in the shop at the same time, no problem. The Tesco Metro nearby had no queue at all at 10am!. Plenty of stock as well. Braved Wilkinsons to get some gardening stuff. With the 30 minutes walk there and another 30 minutes back that was plenty of exercise. Will have to work out a shopping list for 2 weeks that I can carry. Looking thoughtfully at my cruising carry on which has 2 big wheels and handle.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kalos said:

If you see something similar with a P&O Captain you recognise on it you can then guess that there are no more cruises for this year ;-)

(Please don't take offence anyone for me being flippant -- retaining a sense of humour is a must in our household at the moment)

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

If you see something similar with a P&O Captain you recognise on it you can then guess that there are no more cruises for this year 😉

(Please don't take offence anyone for me being flippant -- retaining a sense of humour is a must in our household at the moment)

They are all at it..

I saw Richard Branson in a Tesco Polo shirt... 😊

Andy 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

Had to collect a repeat prescription yesterday. Sixth in the queue and only one person in the shop at the same time, no problem. The Tesco Metro nearby had no queue at all at 10am!. Plenty of stock as well. Braved Wilkinsons to get some gardening stuff. With the 30 minutes walk there and another 30 minutes back that was plenty of exercise. Will have to work out a shopping list for 2 weeks that I can carry. Looking thoughtfully at my cruising carry on which has 2 big wheels and handle.

It has took us just over 3 weeks to get a slot with Tesco delivery service ,we got everything that we ordered.

Have also managed to book another slot in another 3 weeks time.

At least the fridge freezer looks like it belongs to someone again ,it was getting a bit bare.

Our tablets were due last week and our chemist which is only a 4 minute walk away from us, told us

not to come to the shop as they would deliver them for the time being due to us being  in isolation .

So all is good for now with us.

Stay safe.

unnamed.jpg.31d0e57e70131da2d9fb002b5a17d44c.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

We are about to have our daily muster FOR EXERCISE  FOR EXERCISE

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN IN PLEASE BRING YOUR CRUISE CARD

Love it ---- we've done our muster drill earlier in the garden ---- every time we go for  a walk not I will think of you FOR EXERCISE, FOR EXERCISE

Stay safe everyone, from a beautiful sunny, warm Stoke on Trent. It has been such a beautiful day today - this is when I want to be by the sea.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

PS You forgot to mention your life jacket ;-)

3 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

Which one ? Mrs Kalos saved all ours ,we have loads of them .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

As much as I don’t like virgin right now my husband job depends on it. He is one of the ones making plan parts. His shifts have changed with few hours notice and his pay is dropping by about 20% which he might get back next yet as a deferral. 

if his shifts change long term that will have a knock on effect to my job. 

to say with only got into a good place to get a new house and holidays last year and now we might struggle a lot. 

kids also might have to go to school which is another risk. 

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

Which one ? Mrs Kalos saved all ours ,we have loads of them .:classic_smile:

Just checked my wallet, I have a Britannia May 2018 and Oceana November 2019 in amongst the old club cards etc that I have never thrown away.. The others will be somewhere... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

You do not need to bring your life jacket these days!

We did last April --- then we were with Celebrity in August (shhh don't tell, but Edge was amazing) ---- so things must have changed. Can't believe the difference that a year makes --- this time last year we spent Easter on Azura in Norway. The weather was like it is now and it was a simply perfect cruise. One thing for sure, all of this will make us all appreciate what we have more ….

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Aw thank you, so kind... 😊

But will Malcolm want to sit next to you? Presumably only if you have the best seat which I guess you would to reflect your status in this whole charade.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

You are not allowed to play charades during the muster. You must pay attention to the captain and not sit on the balcony rail.

But I don’t need the captain to tell me not to do something so stupid as sitting on the balcony. Anyway, the crew members seem to do charades during the talk, why shouldn’t we.