P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You are perfectly entitled to feel how you feel and I really feel your pain as we should have been away as well. At least you have some sunshine, enjoy it.

There are a lot of sanctimonious, holier than thou, busy bodies around - just ignore them. We all know there are more important things but we are still allowed to be disappointed. 

Enjoy your Belgium beer, good company and sun.

I agree with you. I still feel gutted about the cruise I am supposed to be on right now and I get why others are seeming to be saying there are more important things and there’s always going to be something that’s more important but it’s how individuals value it. I know I value mine extremely and it definitely hurts when others devalue that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Grateful phone call this morning from my allotted volunteer, doing shopping today rather then at the weekend, picking up my list at lunch time. I have managed to get some face masks for her use.so feeling better.

Reading your post has just made me realise it's Good Friday and Easter this weekend. It's amazing how one day blends into another now. Stay well. 

Avril 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

what’s wrong with your internet? Is your phone line working? And who is your provider 

The landline is completely dead, no dialling tone at all. Our provider is sky. Still have sky tv working but obviously no landline no internet! 
My husband arranged someone to fix it via the Sky app. All seemed quick and too easy. Obviously they are short staffed as people could  be self isolating etc. It said 2-4 days and we were patient as we both know what it’s like at our work places.

Anyway at day 4 I asked John to give them a call and just ask what the situation was. I tried to phone myself but as I did it on my mobile it said I wasn’t registered as their user?? 
Anyway the lady he got through to was a bit brusque but said an engineer had been and gone thought it was sorted!! Good thing I checked. She’d send another one. That was last Thursday.

So yesterday John calls again, this time got a chap who spent ages asking him to check all sorts of things. Line still dead. Ended up that an engineer is going to actually contact us. I think they need to check the line into the house as they’ve tried twice remotely and nothings happening!

It’s annoying as the app still says ‘coming soon’! 

Plus if my work decide to set me up at home (which they were planning to do but I’m not sure if they are or not now) it’s going to be really embarrassing if I say I’ve got no internet so can’t work after all!! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Was a bit down yesterday as not only were we on day 8 of no internet (I’m using data on my phone for this) but my washing machine broke with washing in it! 😩

On my tiny phone I’ve ordered a new one as it was quite old and I doubt any repairmen would come out! It’s coming Tuesday so that’s good. Hubby (John) was on the phone for an hour trying to sort out internet. Waiting to hear from an engineer now.

Just to sound a really grumpy person even the sun is annoying me as tomorrow we were setting off to Southampton to stay overnight ready for our mini cruise Friday. The weather is looking glorious! All I can think is sailaway would have been brilliant.

Luckily John is on leave all weekend as we were supposed to be away so we’ll spend time in the garden hopefully chilling with the Belgium beer I bought so we can pretend we’re in a pavement cafe! 

Please don’t tell me there’s more important things , I know that.

When our EE internet has gone off the engineer said unplug the router and leave it for 5 minutes then plug it back in and turn back on.

So far it has always worked.

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

The landline is completely dead, no dialling tone at all. Our provider is sky. Still have sky tv working but obviously no landline no internet! 
My husband arranged someone to fix it via the Sky app. All seemed quick and too easy. Obviously they are short staffed as people could  be self isolating etc. It said 2-4 days and we were patient as we both know what it’s like at our work places.

Anyway at day 4 I asked John to give them a call and just ask what the situation was. I tried to phone myself but as I did it on my mobile it said I wasn’t registered as their user?? 
Anyway the lady he got through to was a bit brusque but said an engineer had been and gone thought it was sorted!! Good thing I checked. She’d send another one. That was last Thursday.

So yesterday John calls again, this time got a chap who spent ages asking him to check all sorts of things. Line still dead. Ended up that an engineer is going to actually contact us. I think they need to check the line into the house as they’ve tried twice remotely and nothings happening!

It’s annoying as the app still says ‘coming soon’! 

Plus if my work decide to set me up at home (which they were planning to do but I’m not sure if they are or not now) it’s going to be really embarrassing if I say I’ve got no internet so can’t work after all!! 

the problem is sue is that engineers are currently only working remotely. Every company uses Bt engineers and open reach is shut to most things. If they need access to your house they will not enter. They will deal with the cabinet and the exchange and if it’s still not working you will get a call from the engineer directly telling you that it will now take bookings after 1st June at moment to enter your house. 
as you have a mobile you are not classed as vulnerable even if you are working from home which is obviously important to everyone right now if they need access then that will be it until they are allowed actually in. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I agree with you. I still feel gutted about the cruise I am supposed to be on right now and I get why others are seeming to be saying there are more important things and there’s always going to be something that’s more important but it’s how individuals value it. I know I value mine extremely and it definitely hurts when others devalue that. 

I agree.

We would have had our 14 night Transatlantic cruise on Azura now but hopefully we will get our money back.

Our June cruise looks very doubtful now too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When our EE internet has gone off the engineer said unplug the router and leave it for 5 minutes then plug it back in and turn back on.

that’s just cos your router needs a reboot sometimes like when your mobile needs to be shut down and back on. Thus would just affect the internet. This wouldn’t cause the landline to have no way of calling. In sues case it sounds like the phone has gone which has caused the broadband to go. 
the sky will work as a stand-alone 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That seems to be the "go to" answer for every IT help desk I have ever contacted !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Was a bit down yesterday as not only were we on day 8 of no internet

I had this about a year ago with the same provider as you.

Nothing was happening  and no one even updated us on anything  that they were doing .

So I rang again and asked for a update ,which they did not have . so I lodged a complaint 

A) failure to update and B) Me paying for no service .

Later that day I got an appointment for an Openreach engineer  to come and check the line .

The guy came and went further down the road to check one of those green telephone line boxes out .

Turns out someone had been working in the box and disturbed our connection , which he sorted .

I was given a months free internet for any trouble it may have caused .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

that’s just cos your router needs a reboot sometimes like when your mobile needs to be shut down and back on. Thus would just affect the internet. This wouldn’t cause the landline to have no way of calling. In sues case it sounds like the phone has gone which has caused the broadband to go. 
the sky will work as a stand-alone 

True,missed her opening line about the landline.

The other information might help someone else if their broadband goes off.

The first thing EE told me was to do the reboot when our broadband went off.

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I had this about a year ago with the same provider as you.

Nothing was happening  and no one even updated us on anything  that they were doing .

So I rang again and asked for a update ,which they did not have . so I lodged a complaint 

A) failure to update and B) Me paying for no service .

Later that day I got an appointment for an Openreach engineer  to come and check the line .

The guy came and went further down the road to check one of those green telephone line boxes out .

Turns out someone had been working in the box and disturbed our connection , which he sorted .

I was given a months free internet for any trouble it may have caused .

Thank you, they have definitely done something remotely but if we hadn’t enquired very politely we would still be sitting here waiting for it. Even if they’d put on the app ‘now complete’ we’d know someone had been and it hadn’t worked. 
Day 9 and just so frustrating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Yes as Vampress said it’s the landline. Good thing I have a mobile or my 80 year old mum would be frantic as I phone her every day!

• Like 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

it’s the first thing anyone will tell you with technology. Mobiles. Broadband. Tvs. The amount of time something has stopped working and you do a “reboot” which is turn off and back on and it fixed is amazing. But obviously if that doesn’t work you just try the next obvious thing. Hubby is an electrical engineer and he says most of its is process of elimination to find the issues. So you always try the most common or logical fix first 

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s the first thing anyone will tell you with technology. Mobiles. Broadband. Tvs. The amount of time something has stopped working and you do a “reboot” which is turn off and back on and it fixed is amazing. But obviously if that doesn’t work you just try the next obvious thing. Hubby is an electrical engineer and he says most of its is process of elimination to find the issues. So you always try the most common or logical fix first 

True.

I sold electronic cash registers 35 years ago for about 1 year and that was the go to thing on the too if they went off.

17 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

the problem is sue is that engineers are currently only working remotely. Every company uses Bt engineers and open reach is shut to most things. If they need access to your house they will not enter. They will deal with the cabinet and the exchange and if it’s still not working you will get a call from the engineer directly telling you that it will now take bookings after 1st June at moment to enter your house. 
as you have a mobile you are not classed as vulnerable even if you are working from home which is obviously important to everyone right now if they need access then that will be it until they are allowed actually in. 

That doesn’t sound good! I don’t think they’ll have any work for me if I haven’t got internet as the email work sent me was all about where my router etc was! 
I actually do admin for the NHS so I’m hoping they’ll hurry it along.

They haven’t checked the line from our house to the telephone pole or I would have seen them, hopefully they can do that.

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you, they have definitely done something remotely but if we hadn’t enquired very politely we would still be sitting here waiting for it. Even if they’d put on the app ‘now complete’ we’d know someone had been and it hadn’t worked. 
Day 9 and just so frustrating.

I get that and I’m really sorry for anyone in this position. I’m on the other side of this unfortunately telling people things are very difficult. 
I don’t work for sky and don’t particularly like them but to give you an idea they have currently furloughed a hell of a lot of advisors. Unless they are working from home and I know some are the others are still trying to make it to call centres. If the are like us last week there were 4 people in out of 30-40 people it was crazy. It’s getting slightly better with people coming back in but I can tell you it’s crazy in there. We are trying to social distance which is very hard and most of us are getting shouted at way more than usual even though we’d love to be able to help people. We have no way of contacting openreach bar using the systems, usually there is a number to call if we really have to but we can’t. There is numerous things we cannot do now and every is so busy with less advisors that call backs are also difficult. As it’s all systems what will happen is someone will be assigned your case to check every few days and we rely on an update from open reach on there before we can tell you. If it’s not on there we would reschedule it. 
I assume that other companies will work very similar to what we do and it’s difficult. I’m not defending sky and it will be horrible to be without phone and internet but they will not break the openreach procedures at a time like this. 

the best case is for the engineers to contact you to either say yes it’s fixed or no we have to come in and it will be XXX. Least you’d have answer that someone’s been and tried. 

Warm dry day here and the sun is trying to break through. We’ve been out for our one hour walk as usual. One of the positives of this awful situation is that we are discovering local areas that we didn’t know existed despite living here for more than 30 years. Today we found a beautiful bluebell wood which opened on to lovely countryside views. 

We should have been in our favourite part of Cornwall at the moment so are missing the spectacular coastal scenery and sea air! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That doesn’t sound good! I don’t think they’ll have any work for me if I haven’t got internet as the email work sent me was all about where my router etc was! 
I actually do admin for the NHS so I’m hoping they’ll hurry it along.

They haven’t checked the line from our house to the telephone pole or I would have seen them, hopefully they can do that.

As far as I have been told they will go to the exchange and the cabinet. 

also just to let you know if it’s a problem with your line that passes the boundary of your property you’d also get a charge. 

We've been on lockdown for 4 weeks now.Considering how many people are poor down here,they've only just started putting food banks outside supermarkets.My Mrs decided to buy and donate a few "essentials" today,starting off with 2 cartons of wine and a can of spray cream (I thought,interesting).She then bought a packet of pasta,garlic bruschetti and a tube of tomato puree.6 euro the lot.I'd love to see that on ready steady cook,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

The same people who never make bread but have bought all the stocks of flour and yeast so I can't!!

I know what you mean I was concerned that if I didn't get yeast this week I would have to buy bread.  My husband reckons that when we get back to normal eBay will be swamped with bread machines that panic buyers bought and have hardly used.

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

I know what you mean I was concerned that if I didn't get yeast this week I would have to buy bread.  My husband reckons that when we get back to normal eBay will be swamped with bread machines that panic buyers bought and have hardly used.

I'd been saying before all this that we ought to replace our broken bread machine, just never got round to it.

I'll keep an eye on eBay in couple of weeks/months!

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I get that and I’m really sorry for anyone in this position. I’m on the other side of this unfortunately telling people things are very difficult. 
I don’t work for sky and don’t particularly like them but to give you an idea they have currently furloughed a hell of a lot of advisors. Unless they are working from home and I know some are the others are still trying to make it to call centres. If the are like us last week there were 4 people in out of 30-40 people it was crazy. It’s getting slightly better with people coming back in but I can tell you it’s crazy in there. We are trying to social distance which is very hard and most of us are getting shouted at way more than usual even though we’d love to be able to help people. We have no way of contacting openreach bar using the systems, usually there is a number to call if we really have to but we can’t. There is numerous things we cannot do now and every is so busy with less advisors that call backs are also difficult. As it’s all systems what will happen is someone will be assigned your case to check every few days and we rely on an update from open reach on there before we can tell you. If it’s not on there we would reschedule it. 
I assume that other companies will work very similar to what we do and it’s difficult. I’m not defending sky and it will be horrible to be without phone and internet but they will not break the openreach procedures at a time like this. 

the best case is for the engineers to contact you to either say yes it’s fixed or no we have to come in and it will be XXX. Least you’d have answer that someone’s been and tried. 

I totally get that and I can imagine how stressful it is in your office.

I make non urgent appointments for the NHS and also take calls to pass onto respiratory nurses so you can imagine how manic it’s been where I work.

It’s almost impossible to social distance in an office. I must admit I’ve been lucky that my employer sent me  home when she realised I have a heart condition. 
Then they decided I could go back then decided after one day the social distancing wasn’t being adhere to plus we have now gone very very quiet in my part because all our clinics have been cancelled. 
I feel bad for not working but don’t want to catch this virus so it would be good to get the home working sorted 🤷‍♀️