P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I have not looked at this page for a few days but suddenly it all becomes more real. It seems to bring it far nearer when t affects people you know even on a remote basis as we do on hear. My sympathies to Avril for your loss made worse by being isolated. Also to Pete and all good wishes for the full recovery of your partner. 

May we all stay safe for the next few trying months. And after that may we all get back to cruising and normality.

Gan Canny

Dai

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The sun's really trying to get out this morning. I hope the weather picks up soon to brighten me up. I'm just sat waiting for my Asda delivery and wondering what next week will be like. It's getting much  harder now to try and stay positive. My brother- in-law,  who had  contracted covid19, died last night . Two family members gone in 10 days. It's really hard, not only for us, but for anyone who needs to be together as a family to comfort each other and can't. I can hear Frank moving about upstairs now so it's time to put on my brave face. Sorry about this post, but I don't want to talk like this in the house. I'm trying to keep everyone's spirits up and need a place for myself to talk. Stay well.

Avril 

So sorry to hear your sad news Avril, my thoughts are with you and your family. You and Frank stay safe, and take care of one another.

We are all here for you, hugs.

Bob and Elaine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay. So I gave myself a good talking to and decided it's time to put my big girls pants on and stop wallowing in self pity. It changes nothing. So as a result I've just finished a baking marathon. 1 lemon and blackcurrant short cake with fresh cream for dessert tonight, some cheese scones and an iced sultana loaf.  Very therapeutic. If this isolation goes on for much longer I won't be able to get through the door. Stay well. 

Avril 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Okay. So I gave myself a good talking to and decided it's time to put my big girls pants on and stop wallowing in self pity. It changes nothing. So as a result I've just finished a baking marathon. 1 lemon and blackcurrant short cake with fresh cream for dessert tonight, some cheese scones and an iced sultana loaf.  Very therapeutic. If this isolation goes on for much longer I won't be able to get through the door. Stay well. 

Avril 

Give me your address please, hopefully turn up before all eaten!

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Just remembered a recent post from you, and could suggest a meeting place.

Outside the Cross Keys!

Not been there for 40 years!

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Baking sounds just lovely. I’ve been making (and eating) lots of home baking. It’s a good way to pass the time.

16 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Just remembered a recent post from you, and could suggest a meeting place.

Outside the Cross Keys!

Not been there for 40 years!

My word,  the Cross Keys  disappeared many years ago along with the  Penny Farthing and  the Duke of Wellington. That's when Barnsley used to be a real old fashioned market town. The times they are a changing. Stay well.

Avril 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

My word,  the Cross Keys  disappeared many years ago along with the  Penny Farthing and  the Duke of Wellington. That's when Barnsley used to be a real old fashioned market town. The times they are a changing. Stay well.

Avril 

That's buggered that then!

I do have a picture of a cake!

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You're closer. Cudworth is the next village. About 2 miles away. Stay well. 

Avril 

Good solid South Yorkshire territory!  I know (or rather knew) it well.  Big, big changes since I were a lad, though (and of course the station's long since gone).

Highspot for me - being allowed to 'drive' a Sheffield tram at the age of 5.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good solid South Yorkshire territory!  I know (or rather knew) it well.  Big, big changes since I were a lad, though.  Highspot for me - being allowed to 'drive' a Sheffield tram at the age of 5.

Harry

So you might know Monk Bretton then Harry?

Avril 

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

So you might know Monk Bretton then Harry?

Avril 

Sort of, Avril, but not as well as Cudworth - though a close relative was born there.  Had a lot of relatives in the area, and loved visiting as a child.  All the jobs were in the pits or on the railways.  Very close communities, wonderful people.  Still the same now?  I hope you're able to get some support from friends around you.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:00 AM, peteukmcr said:

How are things where we are? Well, let’s see, 4 weeks ago we were enjoying dinner with our friends who were really excited about taking their first cruise with us on Britannia from Barbados to Southampton. 

Since then? Cruise cancelled (but not advised by P&O, but found out by passengers sailing back to Southampton early) still no refund from P&O. Rumours that cash refunds not provided.

Business Travel collapsed. Result, 25% pay cut from this week,, forced to take extra 47.5 days extra annual leave before September. No guarantee of job retention. 

Forced to take leave when we should have been onboard Britannia. 

Basic lockdown at home.

Partner suffers heart attack resulting in the insertion of 2 stents. 

Where are we? Not in a good place. 

Pete I am saddened to hear your news.

I had my heart attack in December and had 1 stent fitted so I can totally relate with your partner.

At least you were at home and not the middle of the Atlantic.

I have cut out bacon, sausages,burgers,ham, gammon,cakes, chocolate and sweets.

I now eat chicken, salmon, porridge, muesli,nuts and lots of fruit and veg and have lost 2 stone in weight.

Consultant told me they have fixed the problem.

Make sure he takes all his medication.

Best wishes Pete and especially for your partner.

Graham & Pauline.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:30 AM, kalos said:

Sorry to hear about your partners heart attack Peter,coming to terms with it is not easy for either of you.

Looking at your life and thinking what did we do wrong to end up like this?

What can I eat or drink now to protect my heart from further damage? so many things, it's a great shock.

The last day of September last year I went through the same and laid in hospital was expecting a few stents

as everyone on the cardio ward was getting shipped out to have stents or pacemakers fitted and then sent home.

In short they found my heart was blocked and heart failure as well.

I was sent home after a few weeks but had scans and a few tests but told Stay indoors at home (lockdown)

until they decide if and what treatment we can give you .

Six months later and due to this covid it looks like a lot more of the same but this time for all of us .

I hope your partner is on the mend and you both go on to have more happy years together Peter.

Where are we ? Not in a good place  But  (There always is one 😊) We will get past this place in our lives

and move on to better times ,with our loved ones in our lives .

Peter , in the words of Reo Speedwagon "Don't Stop Believin" .  

You two take care

Regards  Kalos😊 

Kalos, sorry to hear your condition.

I'm surprised they didn't fit a stent straight away because Sunderland Royal hospital put my stent in 2 days after my heart attack in December.

Take care mate.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The sun's really trying to get out this morning. I hope the weather picks up soon to brighten me up. I'm just sat waiting for my Asda delivery and wondering what next week will be like. It's getting much  harder now to try and stay positive. My brother- in-law,  who had  contracted covid19, died last night . Two family members gone in 10 days. It's really hard, not only for us, but for anyone who needs to be together as a family to comfort each other and can't. I can hear Frank moving about upstairs now so it's time to put on my brave face. Sorry about this post, but I don't want to talk like this in the house. I'm trying to keep everyone's spirits up and need a place for myself to talk. Stay well.

Avril 

So sorry to hear your very sad news Avril.

Graham 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Kalos, sorry to hear your condition.

I'm surprised they didn't fit a stent straight away because Sunderland Royal hospital put my stent in 2 days after my heart attack in December.

Take care mate.

The heart failure part stopped that happening but they still keep doing tests .Stents do not always get 

that part of the heart working again .It would not be a stent ,it would have been 3 of them .

Could be a bypass or a pacemaker or defrib  .Time and tests will tell but I feel ok at the moment .

Thanks for your concern Graham and hope your keeping well.