P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I thought we might be close.from a an earlier post when you mentioned Sheffield. Cannon Hall Farm is in Cawthorne which is about 5 miles away. It's a lovely place. It will still be there for you to visit when all this is over. It's not so much the staying in it's  trying to occupy yourself. You'll find it doubly difficult with young children too. Stay well.

Avril 

My Mum was born and raised in Maltby.I don't know if that's near you.Only stopped off there once to take a photo of her old house.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

where bouts ?

OMG,that was about 15 years ago.My Mum died in 2007.It was a row of council/miners cottages that ran parallel to the main road.There were a lot of these roads though.I remember the pit being there,although no longer in use.Quite an impressive structure,I can imagine years ago it being the life and blood of the area.Shame about the diseases and tragedies that came with it.Keep well,Brian.

Edited by brian1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

My Mum was born and raised in Maltby.I don't know if that's near you.Only stopped off there once to take a photo of her old house.

Maltby is about 20 miles away. It's  closer to Rotherham than Barnsley. I'm a Southern transplant but I love Yorkshire. It's a beautiful county. I hear a lot of people making fun of this area and the accents but it's not like that. A Yorkshireman will tell you it's God's own country and I believe them. Stay well. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Maltby is about 20 miles away. It's  closer to Rotherham than Barnsley. I'm a Southern transplant but I love Yorkshire. It's a beautiful county. I hear a lot of people making fun of this area and the accents but it's not like that. A Yorkshireman will tell you it's God's own country and I believe them. Stay well. 

Avril 

We were staying in Keighley for a long weekend and drove cross country to Maltby for a one off visit.Yorkshire has an amazing diversity of countryside and landscapes.I'm a Cockney, born and bred,my Dad came from East London and met my Mum in 1939.Once again,stay well.Brian.

Edited by brian1

12 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Wow that took a while to catch up. 

im very near the boards of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire (for the last year) 

the shops round here have been ok. Lots of bare shelves etc. There seems to be more people than ever going for a walk. 

to be completely honest after one week I’m completely drained. 
hubby’s business who builds airplane parts had shut for a week as they can’t social distance. 
My work is classed as “key worker” but unfortunately it’s been more like computer says no. We also had an issue where my whole department including me walked out on Friday. 

I worried for what the next 50odd years left I possibly have and what it will all mean for the kids. 

I absolutely hate homeschooling. It is the devil and I have headache trying to teach my kids fractions along with singing the tricky words YouTube song. 

But I am glad we are all as safe as we can be. As much as I love my family outside of these walls they aren’t as important as the ones inside them and so we stay inside. We could send the kids to school if we wanted but the teachers asked us not to if possible so we are currently juggling work with home. 

I’m finding I run out of fun things to do with the kids. The sun has gone in and as I’ve worked last 5 days I have unfortunately had to leave dad in charge which resulted in a pj day. They are now currently having a sleepover together with as many teddy’s as they could find. 
tomorrow we will be trying (banging my head against a wall) to do school work again, mr bear is going to mums hospital and we are decorating mums cheat store bought gingerbread men. 

stay safe peeps

I'm guessing that you are sheltering your girls from technology (using an iPad etc) as they are so young? I'm all in favour of that too but maybe give yourself a little break and arrange for them to FaceTime friends for a few minutes?

Our son is 9 and though we are having ups and downs it's not been too bad mainly thanks to him being able to connect to his friends online. They use FaceTime to chat and play multiplayer online games together. It's helped a lot especially in terms of keeping his spirits up. 

I appreciate that yours are a lot younger but maybe a little supervised connecting with their friends will help them and you?

Anyway well done you so far, keep your chin up. You clearly care a lot and are probably way ahead of a lot of parents who won't even be bothering with their kids' education at this time.

30 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We were staying in Keighley for a long weekend and drove cross country to Maltby for a one off visit.Yorkshire has an amazing diversity of countryside and landscapes.I'm a Cockney, born and bred,my Dad came from East London and met my Mum in 1939.Once again,stay well.Brian.

I'm originally from Staines in Middlesex. Dad was from Wraysbury. I remember my Grandad used to work a the sawmill on Moor Lane. The memories these threads are bringing back. So nice. Stay well. 

Avril 

• Like 1

I’m in Doncaster so not far away either. 

I’ve been out for the first shop since last Tuesday and Lidl was lovely and organised. I arrived at 9 and no queue. Got everything I needed today and even got some liquid antibacterial soap for my friend who is being ‘shielded’ after a transplant. I felt like I’d won the lottery! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tilly20 said:

I’m in Doncaster so not far away either. 

I’ve been out for the first shop since last Tuesday and Lidl was lovely and organised. I arrived at 9 and no queue. Got everything I needed today and even got some liquid antibacterial soap for my friend who is being ‘shielded’ after a transplant. I felt like I’d won the lottery! 

I work in donny. Was very strange to see everything shut 

7 hours ago, DamianG said:

I'm guessing that you are sheltering your girls from technology (using an iPad etc) as they are so young? I'm all in favour of that too but maybe give yourself a little break and arrange for them to FaceTime friends for a few minutes?

Our son is 9 and though we are having ups and downs it's not been too bad mainly thanks to him being able to connect to his friends online. They use FaceTime to chat and play multiplayer online games together. It's helped a lot especially in terms of keeping his spirits up. 

I appreciate that yours are a lot younger but maybe a little supervised connecting with their friends will help them and you?

Anyway well done you so far, keep your chin up. You clearly care a lot and are probably way ahead of a lot of parents who won't even be bothering with their kids' education at this time.

they have a little Facebook chat going on on my mobile for both classes sending videos to each other. Their nanan is also key worker so she’s not been able to FaceTime much. 

they both do have their own iPads so they do get them but we only have games on it they don’t really go on the internet as such. 

we have done a lot of school work today they are now watching power rangers. 

it’s been raining so we haven’t been out yet but might go for a walk after dinner. 

It’s so strange not being able to go anywhere. 
It’s difficult not to get on each other’s nerves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

they have a little Facebook chat going on on my mobile for both classes sending videos to each other. Their nanan is also key worker so she’s not been able to FaceTime much. 

they both do have their own iPads so they do get them but we only have games on it they don’t really go on the internet as such. 

we have done a lot of school work today they are now watching power rangers. 

it’s been raining so we haven’t been out yet but might go for a walk after dinner. 

It’s so strange not being able to go anywhere. 
It’s difficult not to get on each other’s nerves. 

Tricky isn't it? Our son was great this morning, powered through 2 hours of school work with just the odd bit of grumbling here and there. Then at lunchtime time his friend called him on FaceTime and one or way another managed to wind him up (I'm sure she didn't mean to) resulting in a difficult afternoon. And there's me suggesting FaceTime as beneficial for the kids! 

Another lesson learnt for us, no FaceTime until he's finished with the school stuff tomorrow.....

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Tricky isn't it? Our son was great this morning, powered through 2 hours of school work with just the odd bit of grumbling here and there. Then at lunchtime time his friend called him on FaceTime and one or way another managed to wind him up (I'm sure she didn't mean to) resulting in a difficult afternoon. And there's me suggesting FaceTime as beneficial for the kids! 

Another lesson learnt for us, no FaceTime until he's finished with the school stuff tomorrow.....

ah bless him I think it’s really hard trying to learn at home and be away from his friends also. My two have each other to play ( although this results more in flighting) I split most of the day sending one to “school” and the other into the living room to play. Think it’s also hard to schedule FaceTime cos not everybodies available at normal times. I wouldn’t worry everyone will be in the same boat. I just wanna make sure there is something for the teachers to look at should they want to but my teacher friends said they will have so much work to do when they get back that they probably won’t have time to look over what we have been doing. 

ive been looking at more cruises. I think I’m a little bit stir crazy. I’m half wondering if to put a deposit of £168 down for canary’s March next year. My thinking is although I’ve asked for a refund as I want my £3k back I think I would be willing to risk a little bit of money. Just not sure what to do considering Florida is up in the air. 

Keep thinking I should be packing this week 😩

18 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

ah bless him I think it’s really hard trying to learn at home and be away from his friends also. My two have each other to play ( although this results more in flighting) I split most of the day sending one to “school” and the other into the living room to play. Think it’s also hard to schedule FaceTime cos not everybodies available at normal times. I wouldn’t worry everyone will be in the same boat. I just wanna make sure there is something for the teachers to look at should they want to but my teacher friends said they will have so much work to do when they get back that they probably won’t have time to look over what we have been doing. 

ive been looking at more cruises. I think I’m a little bit stir crazy. I’m half wondering if to put a deposit of £168 down for canary’s March next year. My thinking is although I’ve asked for a refund as I want my £3k back I think I would be willing to risk a little bit of money. Just not sure what to do considering Florida is up in the air. 

Keep thinking I should be packing this week 😩

Personally I don’t think it’s wise to commit to anything until we see how this thing is going to play out.

3 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Personally I don’t think it’s wise to commit to anything until we see how this thing is going to play out.

im gonna wait til virgin deal with my Florida in May then I think I will risk the cruise. Don’t mind risking £168. Just cannot risk more than that. 

we’re all gonna be itching for holidays after being stuck at home so long- maybe not everyone wants it on a boat though

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

My daughter was trying school work with her 5 year old who wasn't interested. She told her if she just finished this she could choose the next activity. Granddaughter went into the kitchen and said 'Alexa set a timer for 3 minutes!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, happy v said:

My daughter was trying school work with her 5 year old who wasn't interested. She told her if she just finished this she could choose the next activity. Granddaughter went into the kitchen and said 'Alexa set a timer for 3 minutes!'

the kids these days are brilliant with technology like that. We don’t have Alexa anymore but we have google in a few rooms. 
my 4 year old broadcasts to me to ask when is lunch ready the other day when I was in the kitchen, she was only in the room. I said you were near enough to shout. She said that I’d told them not to shout. I didn’t have an answer for that. 

so this is what we have been doing today. This is the most annoying song. The kids have probably forgotten it but I can’t stop singing it and it’s driving me potty. 

Edited by Vampiress88
  • Like 2

How are things where we are? Well, let’s see, 4 weeks ago we were enjoying dinner with our friends who were really excited about taking their first cruise with us on Britannia from Barbados to Southampton. 

Since then? Cruise cancelled (but not advised by P&O, but found out by passengers sailing back to Southampton early) still no refund from P&O. Rumours that cash refunds not provided.

Business Travel collapsed. Result, 25% pay cut from this week,, forced to take extra 47.5 days extra annual leave before September. No guarantee of job retention. 

Forced to take leave when we should have been onboard Britannia. 

Basic lockdown at home.

Partner suffers heart attack resulting in the insertion of 2 stents. 

Where are we? Not in a good place. 

Pete there is nothing adequate or meaningful that a complete stranger at the other end of a keyboard can say in these horrible circumstances. I am however so genuinely sorry to hear what has been happening in your life and send you every good wish for your partners speedy recovery.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

the kids these days are brilliant with technology like that. We don’t have Alexa anymore but we have google in a few rooms. 
my 4 year old broadcasts to me to ask when is lunch ready the other day when I was in the kitchen, she was only in the room. I said you were near enough to shout. She said that I’d told them not to shout. I didn’t have an answer for that. 

so this is what we have been doing today. This is the most annoying song. The kids have probably forgotten it but I can’t stop singing it and it’s driving me potty. 

I can see how that would become an earworm 😂😂

I am finding today really strange. 

It is my birthday and the thought that I will not be going out for a birthday lunch with my friends for the first time in more years than I care to remember, not going out for dinner with my husband and not seeing my sisters for the first time ever on my birthday is definitely stange.  My niece's children have already facetimed and told me that they will bring a present tomorrow when they will stay with us while mum (a nurse) and dad go to work.  I have lots of lovely cards that have arrived in the post over the last few days and several lovely electronic cards.

At least we are well so are grateful to be in a much better place than many people.be

Stay well everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

It is my birthday and the thought that I will not be going out for a birthday lunch with my friends for the first time in more years than I care to remember, not going out for dinner with my husband and not seeing my sisters for the first time ever on my birthday is definitely stange.  My niece's children have already facetimed and told me that they will bring a present tomorrow when they will stay with us while mum (a nurse) and dad go to work.  I have lots of lovely cards that have arrived in the post over the last few days and several lovely electronic cards.

At least we are well so are grateful to be in a much better place than many people.be

Stay well everyone.

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear Josy

Happy birthday to you

(Used to only get that once a year, now it’s every hand washing time 😀)

Enjoy your unusual birthday, hopefully all back to normal next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Stay well everyone.

Happy Birthday, try and have a great day under the circumstances

• Like 1
  • Haha 1