P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well, its a very quiet day here in Stoke on Trent. From our house we can see the main by pass in the distance and there are just a few cars on it. Very eerily quiet. We have been at work all week so we have been 'out and about'. Today we are staying in though and then hitting the garden tomorrow. Just hope we get that sunshine back - it has not shown up yet here.

The supermarkets now have long queues to get in but we have some slots for on line shopping as by the time we get out of work everything had been taken. We went to out local M&S last weekend to pick some flowers up for Mother's Day (to take to the cemetery / crematorium garden of remembrance) and it was very quiet. They had a lot of food in and we stocked up for our meals for last week with no problem at all. Not many people in. Have heard that it is like that all of the time so may call in on our way home from work one day next week. Our local COOP corner shops are doing a good job and have kept well stocked up but they are only allowing a few people in at a time at the moment. Hubby had to pick a prescription up yesterday at our local (large Boots store) and was in a queue for 45minutes as they were only allowing 2 people in at a time. He wasn't allowed to buy anything other than to pick up prescriptions which seems a bit strange.

Our cats now have their prescriptions and food and the goldfish have food too so all in all today is going to be a time to chill out and avoid the news. (That may sound daft, but someone told me that a Dr on the radio had suggested that it would do people good to avoid the media to keep their morale up. Having read of the press who seem to be loving this crisis I think it is a good idea).

Soooo, it is Cruise Critic, Dr Who, Star Trek,  Stargate SG1 and anything else that takes out mind off reality for a day. Will probably look at holiday destinations and look forward to a time when all of this is over --- whenever it may be.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

Made contact with the organiser of our village, good neighbors help group this morning,

Had a shopping list picked up from my doorstep shortly after which is being taken to Tesco's to see what can be purchased.

Fantastic!

So grateful.

• Like 6

Its been ok around here recently but is changing somewhat.

I was lucky enough to get an Iceland delivery slot.  My online bill would have been £39.00 but  when delivered they were out of stock of a lot of it and I only had £16.00 worth.  No  soap powder/liquid, no bacon or other meats and no dishwasher items and quite a lot of other stuff not delivered..  Apparently our local Co-op had many empty shelves

Just done the Joe Wicks workout for seniors.... its only 10 minutes and it makes you feel good afterwards!

Got home from Azura a week ago straight into self isolation another week to go yet no chance of a Tesco slot so luckily our neighbours are keeping us supplied apparently the shops are getting back to normal here only a few idiots out and about. So glad P&O flew everybody home even though a few of us were supposed to be doing the TA as well we were a bit miffed to start with but it was 100% the right call as we wouldn’t have been allowed back on our Little Rock as our borders are now closed. Stay safe everyone we’ll be back at it before we know it🇮🇲🇮🇲🇮🇲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Made contact with the organiser of our village, good neighbors help group this morning,

Had a shopping list picked up from my doorstep shortly after which is being taken to Tesco's to see what can be purchased.

Fantastic!

So grateful.

Door bell rang ,looked out of window, helper was getting back in her car leaving shopping on doorstep.

So have milk, bread, fresh fruit, some salad items, cereal and a very grateful heart.

• Like 4

Just been to my local shop to get some groceries. When I got to within about 20 metres I saw a group of teens/early twenties stood outside drinking from cans they had just bought. More joined the group from within the shop and they all stood outside by the door drinking, laughing and hugging each other.

These are the generation that will be running the country one day - if it still exists!

I'll stick to Tesco/Sainsburys in future where they have hired bouncers to control the queues etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Just been to my local shop to get some groceries. When I got to within about 20 metres I saw a group of teens/early twenties stood outside drinking from cans they had just bought. More joined the group from within the shop and they all stood outside by the door drinking, laughing and hugging each other.

These are the generation that will be running the country one day - if it still exists!

I'll stick to Tesco/Sainsburys in future where they have hired bouncers to control the queues etc.

Dreadful, totally irresponsible behaviour. Unfortunately there are many of these types around.

I wonder how they might feel if they go home and infect a parent or sibling.

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

A bloke in the UK must have read my post about walking around in circles in our car park.He ran a marathon in his back garden,only 830 laps.

Didn't I read about an Italian who did a marathon on his 2 metre balcony ?

45 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Boris said this situation will be reviewed in 3 weeks. If this virus keeps spreading at the same rate because of irresponsible  idiots the lock down will be much worse for all of us.

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

They're also, to be fair, the generation who'll have to pay for the economic consequences of what's going on now - essentially to save the 15% of the population at risk of dying from Covid.  They might take the view that the price is too high - though I don't condone the behaviour.

The 30 year old who's been told she can't have cancer treatment because the NHS can't afford it might view the vast costs of saving the lives of people who are going to die anyway in a pretty short time as questionable!

Ive had this very worrying email from my Doctors so this is what its like where we are

Urgent Appeal for Help

We are running out of surgical face masks. We are currently waiting for further NHS supplies and are now unable to get additional masks from our suppliers.

If you know of any tattooists, nail technicians, vets, dentists or other people who have masks we would be eternally grateful if you could ask them to get in touch using the link below:

https://www.charnwoodcommunitymedicalgroup.co.uk/ppe-appeal

Without masks we may be unable to continue to see patients and we are desperate to continue helping patients for as long as we can.

Information on Coronavirus

The surgery is under significant pressure because of the current coronavirus outbreak.

Please visit our webpage at https://www.charnwoodcommunitymedicalgroup.co.uk/corona-virus for the current advice before contacting us.

Thank you. Charnwood Community Medical Group

3 hours ago, Tommart said:

They're also, to be fair, the generation who'll have to pay for the economic consequences of what's going on now - essentially to save the 15% of the population at risk of dying from Covid.  They might take the view that the price is too high - though I don't condone the behaviour.

The 30 year old who's been told she can't have cancer treatment because the NHS can't afford it might view the vast costs of saving the lives of people who are going to die anyway in a pretty short time as questionable!

But without the current measures a 30 year old could be the one of the ones who dies. This virus can and has killed people of ages - look at Italy. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

Ive had this very worrying email from my Doctors so this is what its like where we are

Urgent Appeal for Help

We are running out of surgical face masks. We are currently waiting for further NHS supplies and are now unable to get additional masks from our suppliers.

If you know of any tattooists, nail technicians, vets, dentists or other people who have masks we would be eternally grateful if you could ask them to get in touch using the link below:

https://www.charnwoodcommunitymedicalgroup.co.uk/ppe-appeal

Without masks we may be unable to continue to see patients and we are desperate to continue helping patients for as long as we can.

Information on Coronavirus

The surgery is under significant pressure because of the current coronavirus outbreak.

Please visit our webpage at https://www.charnwoodcommunitymedicalgroup.co.uk/corona-virus for the current advice before contacting us.

Thank you. Charnwood Community Medical Group

I have a friend who is a GP and a few of my friends are making face masks for the surgery(I can t sew otherwise I might offer) apparently my friend who is one of the GP s has to change mask and gloves for every patient.They may not be the same standard as those used in hospitals but are probably better than no protection

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Dreadful, totally irresponsible behaviour. Unfortunately there are many of these types around.

I wonder how they might feel if they go home and infect a parent or sibling.

Unfortunately I suspect they would just to try and blame someone else! Fortunately there are also some good news stories of people of all ages helping others in the community.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ann141 said:

Unfortunately I suspect they would just to try and blame someone else! Fortunately there are also some good news stories of people of all ages helping others in the community.

Indeed. This has brought out the worst but also the very best of humanity.

6 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Door bell rang ,looked out of window, helper was getting back in her car leaving shopping on doorstep.

So have milk, bread, fresh fruit, some salad items, cereal and a very grateful heart.

I so glad things have improved for you. The kindness of strangers is an inspiration. Stay well.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I agree. My eldest daughter has severe asthma and low immunity and lives on her own. The granddaughter of her neighbour comes every other day to deliver her groceries. She's given her a phone number and said to let her know if she needs anything and she'll  pick it up for her at the same time. 

Avril 

• Like 2