P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Dreadful, totally irresponsible behaviour. Unfortunately there are many of these types around.

I wonder how they might feel if they go home and infect a parent or sibling.

They will ramp it up.There is police at every supermarket here.The Italians didn't take it seriously at first.Up North,they don't even get a funeral.The army cremates the bodies at outside towns that have crematoria space and return the ashes to the loved ones who are in lockdown.

19 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well, its a very quiet day here in Stoke on Trent. From our house we can see the main by pass in the distance and there are just a few cars on it. Very eerily quiet. We have been at work all week so we have been 'out and about'. Today we are staying in though and then hitting the garden tomorrow. Just hope we get that sunshine back - it has not shown up yet here.

The supermarkets now have long queues to get in but we have some slots for on line shopping as by the time we get out of work everything had been taken. We went to out local M&S last weekend to pick some flowers up for Mother's Day (to take to the cemetery / crematorium garden of remembrance) and it was very quiet. They had a lot of food in and we stocked up for our meals for last week with no problem at all. Not many people in. Have heard that it is like that all of the time so may call in on our way home from work one day next week. Our local COOP corner shops are doing a good job and have kept well stocked up but they are only allowing a few people in at a time at the moment. Hubby had to pick a prescription up yesterday at our local (large Boots store) and was in a queue for 45minutes as they were only allowing 2 people in at a time. He wasn't allowed to buy anything other than to pick up prescriptions which seems a bit strange.

Our cats now have their prescriptions and food and the goldfish have food too so all in all today is going to be a time to chill out and avoid the news. (That may sound daft, but someone told me that a Dr on the radio had suggested that it would do people good to avoid the media to keep their morale up. Having read of the press who seem to be loving this crisis I think it is a good idea).

Soooo, it is Cruise Critic, Dr Who, Star Trek,  Stargate SG1 and anything else that takes out mind off reality for a day. Will probably look at holiday destinations and look forward to a time when all of this is over --- whenever it may be.

Stay safe everyone

I quite agree re not watching too much news. I stupidly read too much just before I went to bed a couple of nights ago, took me 2 hours to get to sleep!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 2

The weather has certainly turned cold all of a sudden. We've had the briefest of snow flurries and though I know it would disrupt suppliers, emergency services etc it would have been nice to have a decent snowfall for our son to have a play with it in the garden. My wife had a lockdown birthday yesterday, probably the lowest key birthday ever. Some numpty even forgot to buy a cake! 😲

Stay safe everyone, I'm venturing out to do a 40 mile round trip emergency loo roll supply to my sister-in-law who is self-isolating. Rest assured I'll be leaving them in their garden and not going anywhere near the house!

4 hours ago, Clodia said:

I think this is the last day i shall be on social media including this site. The negativity is really starting to affect my mental health.

Kalos has kindly set up a thread on the Pub page with lots of jokes. Have a look in there for some much more cheerful reading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clodia said:

I think this is the last day i shall be on social media including this site. The negativity is really starting to affect my mental health.

I started to feel like that too. Then I found The Pub. There's a thread on there ***SMILE*** started by kalos. Everyone is telling jokes, some make you laugh and a few make you groan but it's just fun. Please give it try. It has helped me a lot. Too many people can only see the negative side of things but fail to realise the damage this constant negativity does to some of us. Stay strong and stay well. I'll save a seat for you in The Pub. 😊

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Kalos has kindly set up a thread on the Pub page with lots of jokes. Have a look in there for some much more cheerful reading.

You just beat me to it Nimblefingers .😆

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Hello Harry. I must admit that I've been a bit worried about you. It's good  to see you back again. I hope that everything is fine in your little corner of the UK.

Avril 

Thanks, Avril - that's very kind.  All OK for the wife and me, except that we're locked down for the foreseeable future.  At least three months, but in reality it will probably be until such time as there's either a vaccine or a cure for Covid-19 and its effects on the body - quite possibly more than a year.

I'm on the NHS/Government 'extremely vulnerable' list with the magic text message telling me not to venture outside the house, but that's a positive because it has enabled us to access some online food deliveries, which were impossible before that.  We also have a nice house and garden in a delightful village, so we count ourselves lucky.  Unfortunately my wife can't go out either, because if she brings the virus in she'll pass it to me.  We've been married for nearly 50 years though, and still very much enjoy our own company, so we're not going to fall out now.  Plenty to do in the house and garden, plenty to read, plenty to watch.  All good really.

I do hope you're getting on OK too, Avril.

Harry

• Like 2

It's been a bit of an odd day here weather-wise. We woke up to frost then the sun came out. We've since had snow flurries and then hailstones. Sun's out now!!! Very cold too. It's very quiet here again but more than it was last week, and then I realised why, no church bells. 

Avril 

IWell for us it's out with the old lp's 33rpm 12 inch going back to 1976 ktel and Ronco editions £4.49 from boots one of them .That must have been nearly a weeks wages now that I get the oap first payment this week might be able to update to a CD 

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks, Avril - that's very kind.  All OK for the wife and me, except that we're locked down for the foreseeable future.  At least three months, but in reality it will probably be until such time as there's either a vaccine or a cure for Covid-19 and its effects on the body - quite possibly more than a year.

I'm on the NHS/Government 'extremely vulnerable' list with the magic text message telling me not to venture outside the house, but that's a positive because it has enabled us to access some online food deliveries, which were impossible before that.  We also have a nice house and garden in a delightful village, so we count ourselves lucky.  Unfortunately my wife can't go out either, because if she brings the virus in she'll pass it to me.  We've been married for nearly 50 years though, and still very much enjoy our own company, so we're not going to fall out now.  Plenty to do in the house and garden, plenty to read, plenty to watch.  All good really.

I do hope you're getting on OK too, Avril.

Harry

We're all fine  thanks. We're both staying at home and like you are lucky enough to have a lovely garden. We've been married 55 years now and if Frank can put up with me for that long a few more months won't make a difference. Stay well. 

Avril 

5 minutes ago, Bin man said:

IWell for us it's out with the old lp's 33rpm 12 inch going back to 1976 ktel and Ronco editions £4.49 from boots one of them .That must have been nearly a weeks wages now that I get the oap first payment this week might be able to update to a CD 

Check your vinyls carefully . Some are worth quite a bit of money. Could be enough for a cruise.😆

Avril 

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Check your vinyls carefully . Some are worth quite a bit of money. Could be enough for a cruise.😆

Avril 

What,even singalongamax and Des O'Connor,lol.

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

What,even singalongamax and Des O'Connor,lol.

Not everyone has our amazing taste in music you know. 😆 I wonder if that would be an idea for a new thread. "Your Musical Taste" Maybe not.

Avril 

• Haha 1

My grandson picked up his Aunts prescription yesterday and has just taken it to her on his motorbike. I sent her a text to say he was in his way and she would wait for him at the door so he could pass it over the gate to her. He came back laughing saying that he just done his first his first drive-by drug delivery. 😆

Avril 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Clodia said:

I don’t think it’s too bad in here but news sites and the dreaded book of faces gets too much!

I wish you well.

• Like 2

Our son has been out all week driving  his lorry with 40 ft trailer, sleeping overnight  getting food to our 

supermarkets up and down the UK,which is re filling the shelves with much needed food.

This method of driving is known as "Tramping"  Keeping the HGV out on the road, hence faster delivery of

the goods to the shops.

When talking with my son he told us how a lot of service stations are now denying the drivers a chance of a quick wash  by locking up the Truckers rest rooms, one site even refused my son the chance of a hot drink ??

He is back in his home now clean and fed  after being away since last Tuesday. A lot of other drivers he met were also reporting the same problems.

He has told me he will be back in his truck this Tuesday getting food into the shops again but this time he will not do any Tramping runs just day or overnight runs from the lorries base. With the virus I do not blame him and I  do understand service stations running a limited service but surely we should put some sort of support in place for these drivers doing a vital job. 

Just like the NHS need support and protection these guys need the chance to wash and refill flasks for hot drinks.Otherwise the service stations are not doing their jobs which stops drivers doing their jobs.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 8

On 3/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, Adawn47 said:

We live in a village about 4 miles from Barnsley in Yorkshire. We've been having weekly Asda deliveries for a few years now and I have a regular slot booked. Do my order as usual, opt for subs and cross my fingers. It's fun when it arrives to see what we will be eating for a week. It's like a lucky dip. No rice, pasta, sugar, honey, tinned tomatoes or beans. Toilet roll I managed to get locally. We have all the panic buying here as well. It's ludicrous. 

We're spending our time tidying round the garden getting ready for planting the beans and  cleaning the greenhouse ready for the tomato plants to arrive. We're trying to keep things as normal as possible under the circumstances and making the best of what we've got. It's good chatting on here as well. Puts things into perspective. Stay well all.

Avril 

your only about 30mins from us then. 

Was going to take the kids to cannon hall farm which is probably near you, won’t be now we are stuck at home. 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, kalos said:

TO ALL THE HOSPITALS IN THE UK  ....   THANK YOU ☺️

FB_IMG_1584715850275.jpg

ah good old Rotherham. They are right though. Many of those people are scared stiff yet all still doing the best to be there for everyone 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

your only about 30mins from us then. 

Was going to take the kids to cannon hall farm which is probably near you, won’t be now we are stuck at home. 

I thought we might be close.from a an earlier post when you mentioned Sheffield. Cannon Hall Farm is in Cawthorne which is about 5 miles away. It's a lovely place. It will still be there for you to visit when all this is over. It's not so much the staying in it's  trying to occupy yourself. You'll find it doubly difficult with young children too. Stay well.

Avril 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:35 AM, wowzz said:

Indeed, the whole gamut of family personalities can be found here. Naming no names, we have a grumpy grandfather,  a mother hen, a jocular uncle, a petulant teenager etc. 

Intrigued to know what I am now 🤪

Wow that took a while to catch up. 

im very near the boards of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire (for the last year) 

the shops round here have been ok. Lots of bare shelves etc. There seems to be more people than ever going for a walk. 

to be completely honest after one week I’m completely drained. 
hubby’s business who builds airplane parts had shut for a week as they can’t social distance. 
My work is classed as “key worker” but unfortunately it’s been more like computer says no. We also had an issue where my whole department including me walked out on Friday. 

I worried for what the next 50odd years left I possibly have and what it will all mean for the kids. 

I absolutely hate homeschooling. It is the devil and I have headache trying to teach my kids fractions along with singing the tricky words YouTube song. 

But I am glad we are all as safe as we can be. As much as I love my family outside of these walls they aren’t as important as the ones inside them and so we stay inside. We could send the kids to school if we wanted but the teachers asked us not to if possible so we are currently juggling work with home. 

I’m finding I run out of fun things to do with the kids. The sun has gone in and as I’ve worked last 5 days I have unfortunately had to leave dad in charge which resulted in a pj day. They are now currently having a sleepover together with as many teddy’s as they could find. 
tomorrow we will be trying (banging my head against a wall) to do school work again, mr bear is going to mums hospital and we are decorating mums cheat store bought gingerbread men. 

stay safe peeps

• Like 2